Forums
Posted By: neilmcc Wanted welder for welding at chassis - 19th Jun 2011 9:22pm
I'm after a welder to weld a car chassis just something I've always wanted to do so I'm going to get a car that needs some welding and teach myself so any info would be great as in what welder or if anyone has one they want to sell

Cheers neil
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: Wanted welder for welding at chassis - 19th Jun 2011 10:00pm
your going to want a half decent gas MIG for tht sort of repairs, ive just bought a 75 beetle. whats your budget?
Posted By: neilmcc Re: Wanted welder for welding at chassis - 19th Jun 2011 10:01pm
just something cheaps as chips so it doesnt matter if i wreck it
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Wanted welder for welding at chassis - 19th Jun 2011 10:13pm
Agree MIG is best.
Have fun,beetle's are a good first time project,but i am addicted to them,lol.
Posted By: neilmcc Re: Wanted welder for welding at chassis - 19th Jun 2011 10:18pm
looking at machine mart at the gassless ones are these any good or do you need a gas one
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Wanted welder for welding at chassis - 19th Jun 2011 10:34pm
Mine is about 15 years old a gas one,but you can get different wire to put in it so i have used it without gas.And i think my mate changed the polarity round on it.?!?
I would imagine all MIGs have improved a lot over the years,so maybe the gasless,but i'm sure someone more knowledgable will come along with more advice.
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Wanted welder for welding at chassis - 20th Jun 2011 9:50am
stay away from gas less.
have a read... CLICKY CLICK
Posted By: kamikazi Re: Wanted welder for welding at chassis - 20th Jun 2011 6:58pm
Have got an old Clarke with a bottle of Co2, its not in great nick, but works okay, I bought it with the same idea as you, made some nice bits for my bike with it.

The gas bottle is from a pub!it could do with a new earth clamp and a new plug £95. Think these are the best you can get on a budget

K
Posted By: neilmcc Re: Wanted welder for welding at chassis - 20th Jun 2011 7:46pm
what model is the clarke

cheers neil
Posted By: hoseman Re: Wanted welder for welding at chassis - 22nd Jun 2011 4:31pm
If your sfter a middle of the range, as mentioned Clarke are good for a budget. you want around the 130 amp mark, go gasless, you can change it to gas and use both. Gasless is good for outside as the wind can blow the gas and not shroud the welds! You have to use the flux impregnated wire with the gasless. Gas is as mentioned great for indoors, but you have the extra outlay on the disposable cylinders. Get friendly with your local pub, their co2 bottles are cheaper and last a hell of a lot longer.
If you go down the route of buying the correct gas bottles, get a co2/argon mix, gives a much better weld.
If welding stainless steel or aluminium you need the appropriate wire and gas to suit.
Ive been welding since i was 10, im 45 now and my first mig was a Clarke 100 gasless, lasted me for years.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral