Forums
Posted By: Uffda Washing Machine Drum - 2nd Jan 2011 5:15pm
Hi, I'm looking for a washing machine drum. I've found plans for making a firepit with one and hope to build one before my toes freeze solid on the allotment!
Please can anyone help?
Vicky
Posted By: rocketqueen Re: Washing Machine Drum - 2nd Jan 2011 5:16pm
ask at local scrapyard or even catch the fellas at the tip in a good mood and u should soon have one x
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Washing Machine Drum - 2nd Jan 2011 5:28pm
Try freecycle. There always dead washers being offered.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Washing Machine Drum - 3rd Jan 2011 1:09pm
got a broke washing machine here if you want it
Posted By: Uffda Re: Washing Machine Drum - 3rd Jan 2011 6:44pm
Hi Zippy,
Many thanks for the offer. I can collect anytime on Wednesday if that's any good to you. Just PM me your address and when you want me to collect.
Vicky
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Washing Machine Drum - 3rd Jan 2011 9:44pm
Hi uffda,me and wifey like the odd outside fire with a nice bottle of wine or three,I can't see how this washing machine drum thing would work unless you buried it,but then how would you empty the ashes?
Posted By: rocketqueen Re: Washing Machine Drum - 3rd Jan 2011 9:50pm
u could always scoop them out lud and then jetwash the dregs....just a thought
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Washing Machine Drum - 3rd Jan 2011 9:51pm
Im intrigued too, vicky! Good luck with this.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Washing Machine Drum - 3rd Jan 2011 9:55pm
Maybe you could put a bottle of Vanish in with the wood!
Posted By: Uffda Re: Washing Machine Drum - 5th Jan 2011 6:08pm
Hi All, thanks to Graham for the washing machine. I spent an hour this afternoon trying to dismantle it without success. I managed to get the outer frame and plumbings off but am still left with the drum cased in a plastic outer shell and the concrete blocks. Unfortunately I don't have the necessary tools to get the rest off. I've taken it to the allotment and will ask the lads there at the weekend if anyone has the tools (I think I need a torx screwdriver set and angled spanner set).
I'll let everyone interested know if I managed to get the thing working. It might sound a bit mad but like the idea of using rubbish to make a fire pit instead of spending money when it's only for the plot.
Here is a link for the plans
http://www.squidoo.com/firepitfrmjunk.
Take care,
Vicky
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Washing Machine Drum - 10th Jan 2011 10:52am
Hi Uffda,

I have a tumble dryer to be collected if you want it/
Not sure if a tumble dryer has the same components lol!
Posted By: Uffda Re: Washing Machine Drum - 13th Jan 2011 6:00pm
Hi All,

My mate and I managed to get the inner casing off the drum (used an axe and dented the drum a little, but it's mostly okay).
I put it the finished drum on a couple of bricks and tried it out. It worked really well and soon we had a great little fire going. All the holes in the side draw the air in and it is just big enough to make a cosy fire.
It was a bit of a hassle wrestling the drum out of the frame but in the end I think it was worth it.
Vicky

Attached picture Drum Fire Pit.jpg
Posted By: rocketqueen Re: Washing Machine Drum - 14th Jan 2011 11:15am
uffda thats a really good idea.....think might do this in our garden for the summer months ...x
© Wirral-Wikiwirral