Forums
Posted By: polo_phil Wanted: A reasonable carpet place - 28th Sep 2010 12:09pm
Hello

I'm after getting a carpet fitted. Stairs, landing and bedroom.

Anyone recommend anywhere?

I'm thinking the Carpet co opposite Aldi on Laird Street?

Phil
Posted By: bert1 Re: Wanted: A reasonable carpet place - 28th Sep 2010 12:13pm
Bought a carpet at carpet right on Sunday in Bromborough, they seem to have big discounts on at the moment, more percentage off than they are actually showing.
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Wanted: A reasonable carpet place - 28th Sep 2010 1:04pm
Last time I went to a carpet right the bloke was an absolute pillock... but then it closed down. Will have a look at the Bromborough one though. Cheers Bert smile
Posted By: Garygadge Re: Wanted: A reasonable carpet place - 28th Sep 2010 1:13pm
there is a small unit on the bromborough trading estate at the back of asda, very cheap carpets!
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Wanted: A reasonable carpet place - 28th Sep 2010 1:40pm
Thanks!

Not 'the carpet co' is it? I think they're the same as the Laird Stret one!
Posted By: Tilly Re: Wanted: A reasonable carpet place - 28th Sep 2010 1:48pm
there is a cheap Carpet shop in Liscard on Wallasey rd by Weatherspoons smile
Posted By: Hoofhearted Re: Wanted: A reasonable carpet place - 28th Sep 2010 1:57pm
Wirral Carpets in Claughton Road, good service there, reasonably priced rollends.
ask for Tony.
Posted By: Garygadge Re: Wanted: A reasonable carpet place - 28th Sep 2010 2:04pm
Originally Posted by polo_phil
Thanks!

Not 'the carpet co' is it? I think they're the same as the Laird Stret one!

very possibly
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Wanted: A reasonable carpet place - 28th Sep 2010 8:36pm
the one over the road from Aldi is/was Taffys Carpets
there's a tale that early in the last century the family emigrated from Russia on their way to America by boat and got off in South Wales by mistake hence Taffys'
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Wanted: A reasonable carpet place - 28th Sep 2010 9:11pm
Carpet Company opposite Aldi is where I got mine when I got my new apartment, I got the keys on the Monday, they came out and measured it on the Tuesday, had it fitted by noon on the Wednesday, ready for the removals company lol.

No other carpet company could offer such speedy service, and I don't recall anyone else who was as cheap either. Most places were honest and said they just could not compete with the price.

Think I paid just under £800 for my whole two bedroomed apartment to be done, apart from the kitchen and bathroom which were already done by the developer, which included the carpet obviously, the thick underlay, measuring and fitting. Does the job, and everyone comments on how nice the carpet is, so must be half-decent lol.

Ive got no complaints, also had them do my other flat years ago, not sure when they changed the name from Taffys, I remember they had a sign "Crossing the road may damage your wealth" lol, where Aldi is now, was originally a Carpet Right or Carpet World or whatever.

As for Carpet Right, be careful, get them to quote you fully, they seems like fantastic deals, but they have been going on since time begun (I was popping in from time to time from December 2009 when I got the apartment, till April 2010 when I eventually moved in and they always had MASSIVE STOCK CLEARANCE offers and THIS WEEKEND ONLY A FURTHER 20% OFF sales etc) but their just a sales con really, also their cost of underlay and fitting is quite high compared to independents.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Wanted: A reasonable carpet place - 29th Sep 2010 6:02am
Have to agree that Carpet Company is excellent for speed of service.
I've had a few properties that needed to be done quickly and they're almost always able to do next day (once, same day) fitting, and the prices are the best around.
From what I have seen they tend to deal in roll-ends, so if your room is HUGE it could reduce your choice of carpet to fit as a lot of the rolls they have on display, although perfectly adequate for normal or even large rooms, are a little limited if you need something oversized.
You pay extra for underlay, carpet grippers etc, but the prices have always seemed fair to me and not over-inflated to cover their costs like some companies.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Wanted: A reasonable carpet place - 29th Sep 2010 7:33am
Its always best to go on recommendations and over the 37 years I've been buying carpets for my property i have never had a bad one, i have never had one that i could turn around and say that didn't last or i was sorry to have bought it. I don't particularly go to the same place, though i never ever went to Taffy's, heard to many bad things about them.
On saying that i have always bought carpets that have a good name, a good brand. Most carpets have a label, it carries all the information you want, what its made from, the do and don't and guarantees, etc,etc. Its easy enough to record that information in one store and go and see if they have the same carpet in another, that way and only that way can you compare the prices. Some places may well have cheap carpets, but cheap what exactly. There are carpets and there are carpets and the same goes for underlay, its pretty pointless putting a poor underlay down if its not going to do the job its meant for, apparently as a carpet fitter told me once, it is important, a bad underlay, having it is pointless. As for fitting, they are all much of a muchness, at least if the shop fit it and they cock it up, its their problem.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral