Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Wanted to borow Dell XP Pro disk - 20th Mar 2010 9:10pm
I need to borrow a Dell XP Pro CD install disk, I have a genuine COA/PRODUCT KEY (licence number) and so just need the disk to do a legitimate install.

Unless someone knows how to bodge a Vanilla Microsoft XP Pro CD install onto a Dell laptop.

Its really annoying to have a licence and still not to be able to install.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Wanted to borow Dell XP Pro disk - 21st Mar 2010 2:50am
I "think" I have some genuine Dell XP Pro disks in a drawer. I know that they're Dell, I know they come with the booklet, and I know they are XP, just can't remember if they are Home or Pro I'll have to check Monday.
They are JUST the disc (and the booklet that comes with it), there are no COA keys, if you want one you can have it, as I said I'll check on Monday and let you know.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wanted to borow Dell XP Pro disk - 21st Mar 2010 4:51am
Thanks Dr, the disk is all I need. I did have one belonging to another laptop but its done the vanishing act in house move.

It has to be XP Pro to match the COA.
Posted By: lansyp Re: Wanted to borow Dell XP Pro disk - 21st Mar 2010 8:56am
sorry to but in but how do you get past the product key every time i have tried it says wrong product key and bins me. my computer has a product key underneath but it wont accept it
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Wanted to borow Dell XP Pro disk - 21st Mar 2010 9:27am
crack it smile
Posted By: RevTurtle Re: Wanted to borow Dell XP Pro disk - 21st Mar 2010 9:36am
If you had a OEM install of XP Pro, using a full retail disc of XP Pro won't work with that product code.
It's ridiculous but that the way MS worked it to make more money.
If the Laptop was formerly a work laptop, it likely had an "Enterprise" product key that didn't match the COA on the base anyway. I've seen that so many times and ended up doing full clean installs. Do you need to save any data off the laptop? If not clean install is best
Posted By: TheDr Re: Wanted to borow Dell XP Pro disk - 21st Mar 2010 11:54am
Had to go into work this morning so checked whilst I was there, the disks ARE XP Pro so if you want one you can pick it up anytime during the week (someone is there from 10-6 Mon-Sat, I'll send you a pm saying which shop it is).

The disks have been there a while so are only preloaded with SP2, after installation you'll have to download SP3 (unless you already have it, or bring a pen drive with you and someone will put it on).
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wanted to borow Dell XP Pro disk - 21st Mar 2010 9:30pm
Thanks Dr, I have all the SPs so no problem.

@Lansyp, that is the problem I had, I have a Dell XP Pro product key, so needed Dell XP Pro install disk to match.

Later Dells were mostly provided with "System" disks and no product key was required, the install wouldn't have the same Product Key as the one on the COA, however the terms of the EULA allow this.

If anyone needs HP/Compaq XP Pro disk then I have that as well as Microsoft Student, which I think is plain Microsoft.

@Ste - I have never found a Windows crack without a rootkit hidden away in it somewhere, been very tempted to shortcut this farce though.
Posted By: Victor_Meldrew Re: Wanted to borow Dell XP Pro disk - 22nd Mar 2010 8:21am
Have a look on warezbb mate.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wanted to borow Dell XP Pro disk - 23rd Mar 2010 2:24pm
I am all sorted thanks to TheDr at BigaByte in Rock Ferry.

This is the second time they have got me out the lurch and without charging me (no they don't give everything away free, but most of it is very reasonable). Nice bloke, good business!

Unashamed plug, but they deserve it.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral