Forums
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL sky box - 27th Oct 2009 9:45pm
her in doors is not happy our sky box keeps switching on and off all the time so if anyone has a spare box going for not too much gang could you keep T.C.in mind thanks peeps!
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: sky box - 27th Oct 2009 9:59pm
think theres one in my celler, unsure if it still works but you can have it, its one of the old white sky boxes, no remote though!
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: sky box - 27th Oct 2009 10:03pm
nice one mate i have a remote bud! pm me you address bud!
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: sky box - 27th Oct 2009 10:04pm
will dig it out and PM you bud, tomorrow ok?
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: sky box - 27th Oct 2009 10:11pm
nice one bud! happy how much?
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: sky box - 27th Oct 2009 10:24pm
nowt bud, you can have it smile
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: sky box - 27th Oct 2009 10:33pm
nice one bud! thumbsup
Posted By: MattLFC Re: sky box - 27th Oct 2009 11:30pm
If your under contract with Sky, they will give you a new box for free, or even a Sky+ for the install cost only, if so ill explain how to do it.

smile
Posted By: kimpri Re: sky box - 28th Oct 2009 12:02am
Originally Posted by MattLFC
If your under contract with Sky, they will give you a new box for free, or even a Sky+ for the install cost only, if so ill explain how to do it.

smile
we've got sky plus box is there a way to get later box from sky, no hdmi on one we have, been under contract about year/half now, cheers matt.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: sky box - 28th Oct 2009 12:05am
You will only get HDMI on the Sky+HD box im afraid mate. No real way of getting them for free, possibly for £29 though, but not free. Plus you will need to pay an extra £10 per month unless you want to pay the full price of £299 for the box.

Neither the PVR1, PVR2 or PVR3 have HDMI. PVR2 is just a debugged, updated and redesigned version of the PVR1 ad the PVR3 is mainly a 160GB hard drive instead of the 40GB found in the PVR1 and PVR2.

If you have over 37", and don't want the additional cost of SkyHD but better quality pictures, get a quality SCART-HDMI upscaler or a Toshiba DVD recorder with HDMI upscaling. Still gonna cost a fair bit though. It wont be a massive improvement either, but it is certainly noticeable.

smile
Posted By: kimpri Re: sky box - 28th Oct 2009 12:25am
cheers mate, we get the full package pay over £60 month, might downgrade shite anyway? i dont even watch tv,
Posted By: MattLFC Re: sky box - 28th Oct 2009 12:34am
Lol, in the end, as much I love Sky+, I ended up ditching them, simply because I took a step back and realised I was only watching the main 5 channels, plus a couple of Freeview channels and the odd football match.

Got TopUp TV las year (before I became part of the development team I may add), which has basically the same interface, remote and features as Sky+, even some better features (with some "really" nice new features that we are currently testing for rollout probably before the Xmas lockdown), and has access to all the Freeview channels, with the option of other on-demand content and channels and ESPN etc, and I don't have a monthly fee to pay lol.

So from £36 per month to £0 per month, not bad lol. Funny to think when I had the full package, I was paying £53 per month I think, and I never watched anything more than I do now. It's all very nice till you realise the cost I think. Id hazard a guess there are many Sky subscribers who are paying for stuff they don't watch lol.

Next year I will be getting the Foxsat HDR2 (the HDR1 has nicer features than Sky+HD imho, but I don't like the remote and want it to support DivX playback on the media centre element) or the forthcoming TopUp TV HD PVR.

For now, a standard TUTV+ box with my Toshiba DVDR upscaling it to 1080p and converting it to HDMI (for the benefit of my TV lol) will do me.

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: sky box - 28th Oct 2009 12:40am
£60 a month... thats £720 per year, scary isnt it!! If you are not watching enough of the channels to get ya moneys worth, id be considering the Foxsat HDR mate!! Freesat HD, Sky+ PVR capability but with a massive 320GB hard drive, media centre, HDMI, upscaling, the ability to archive to external HDD, the ability to playback content from USB memory sticks etc, future support for the iPlayer and other free on-demand IPTV services, supposed future support for upto 2 channels per feed (meaning 4 channels recordable at once, don't know how this is supposed to work though), all in one unit, for £244 one off charge!

Just no option to have subscription channels... but for everything else (bar the remote - which can be resolved by purchasing a better designed OneForAll type remote) it ownz SkyHD.
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: sky box - 28th Oct 2009 9:27am
Originally Posted by TRANCENTRAL
nice one bud! thumbsup

you have mail!
Posted By: kimpri Re: sky box - 28th Oct 2009 10:04am
Originally Posted by chris_gilly
Originally Posted by TRANCENTRAL
nice one bud! thumbsup

you have mail!
alright chris, trancentral has asked me to pick sky box up for him as he is at work if thats ok with you.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: sky box - 29th Oct 2009 7:05pm
Thanks chris_gilly mate box working fine happy
only one prob peeps can not get movie or sports on no
any idea's gang?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: sky box - 29th Oct 2009 7:16pm
You will need to telephone Sky and ask them to pair the card with the box.

The reason for this is to stop people taking their card to their mates for instance, when a sports event or movie is on. It's probably part of their own licensing terms.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: sky box - 29th Oct 2009 7:24pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC
You will need to telephone Sky and ask them to pair the card with the box.

The reason for this is to stop people taking their card to their mates for instance, when a sports event or movie is on. It's probably part of their own licensing terms.

Thanks matt mate thumbsup
© Wirral-Wikiwirral