Forums
Posted By: SoundLad Wanted: 5 an quarter Floppy Drive for PC - 26th Jan 2009 11:22pm
Yes as the title says i need one to copy some old BBC related software to disk hunted high and low for one..
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Wanted: 5 an quarter Floppy Drive for PC - 26th Jan 2009 11:25pm
Originally Posted by SoundLad
Yes as the title says i need one to copy some old BBC related software to disk hunted high and low for one..

WOW DUDE OLD SCHOOL lol laugh
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Wanted: 5 an quarter Floppy Drive for PC - 26th Jan 2009 11:27pm
Originally Posted by SoundLad

Grannys garden?
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Wanted: 5 an quarter Floppy Drive for PC - 26th Jan 2009 11:45pm
Nope got over 1000 games on disk just would like to play properly on a beeb lol im going retro..
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Wanted: 5 an quarter Floppy Drive for PC - 27th Jan 2009 11:32am
Lee

I've a funny feeling I can help. "they" do not call me Steptoe without reason. I can still find a 16K Tandy computer around the place so a mere disk drive should not be a problem.

The issue is however that the drive concerned at attached to a PC - be damed if I can remember which one - and the PC is one of 3 lurking "somewhere in the loft". I saw it recently because I am in the process of putting a floor down in the loft . . . . and tidied the 3 computers away somewhere under the eaves to give me room to work.

I know I also found a bag of 5 1/4 disks and at the time thought to myself "must run those through a PC and see what is on them" and shred those with any personal info. Many of them will of course be 5 1/4 disks for the old BBC machine you now have

I will try to find time to get into the loft soon as poss and will let you know.

INCIDENTALLY - I thought one of the 5 1/4 drives you received with the Beeb had been modified (jumper change) so that it would run on a PC. For sure I ran one of those drives on an Amstrad in the late 1980s

Snod
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Wanted: 5 an quarter Floppy Drive for PC - 27th Jan 2009 12:35pm
ebay is your friend !
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Wanted: 5 an quarter Floppy Drive for PC - 27th Jan 2009 8:37pm
Yep snod the drive was modifed for the PC but unfort i couldnt get it to work on the PC or the beeb and i did change the numbers i think the drive was broken as it didnt light up in either the pc or beeb as it was modifed for PC but not to worry reason i want this is to copy some old software for the Beeb you gave me it gets used so much in typing in programs and stuff and also some old games but i want to put some games i have for my emulator on to disk as i know how to do it from pc.. I have over 900+ images for games on the computer maybe more not sure.. Thanks smile
Posted By: DavidB Re: Wanted: 5 an quarter Floppy Drive for PC - 28th Jan 2009 11:58am
I used two disk drives and this:

http://www.amigaforever.com/kb/13-118

...to read my old Amiga discs on my PC. No extra hardware was needed.
Are they games only you have? There are BBC roms in their entirety on the internet. I remember playing Chuckie Egg and Elite on the BBC's in school. smile
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Wanted: 5 an quarter Floppy Drive for PC - 29th Jan 2009 3:46pm
Lee

Sorry but what I thought was a 5 1/4 drive in the the case of the old computer is 20 MEG hard drive. When I saw the machine last week it was difficult to see detail in the dim lighting in the loft and it ie years since it was ever used.

I will keep my eyes/ ears open in case I find someone else has a 5 1/4 going spare

Snod

© Wirral-Wikiwirral