Forums
Posted By: Pete_M Trading Standards RE Game Machine - 18th Sep 2016 10:15am
Hi all,
A friend of mine was quoted £50.00 to have a new HDMI port put in the back of a Playstation 4 as the pins were damaged. Other than that it was fine. He waited the 2.15 hours for it to be fixed. The engineer brought out and it fired up fine, he then switched it off and re-tested it, but this time it was dead! The guy said no fix no charge. My question is do any of you know were he stands as before the only problem was the HDMI output, now it is an expensive door stop!Any advice would be appreciated.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Trading Standards RE Game Machine - 18th Sep 2016 11:52am
Was it in a shop or just some bloke from online? Did he get a receipt etc? Just because trading standards generally don't do disputes between individuals, the small claims court is for that. But i think you'll need to prove it wasn't goosed before it was messed with.

Have you also looked at other forums to see if anyone has had that issue? Sometimes technology developers will brick machines if they sense that 3rd parties have been fixing stuff. I know apple have done that.

Best of luck, but i wouldn't hold out much hope.
Posted By: Pete_M Re: Trading Standards RE Game Machine - 18th Sep 2016 1:23pm
This is a computer shop in Wallasey. Good point about being a brick before taking it in, though I very much doubt a HDMI port would enable the machine to work once then never again, I suspect a short has somehow damaged the power pack. I was talking to him this morning and he agreed he should of demanded another one or given him a few more days to fix the problem. His 11 year old son is gutted as he was with his dad for the same time !
Posted By: Mark Re: Trading Standards RE Game Machine - 18th Sep 2016 7:02pm
From your description the repair guy has for filled his obligations / contract.

You do say the unit stared up as expected the first time.

Dead??
I think your going to understand at which point it has died first before you can point any blame. A simple fuse could have blown or a part failed within the unit. You never know, the repair person could have left a component loose thats caused a short circuit.

The gut reaction is to blame the repairer but you are going to have to get an engineers report to move anywhere forward.

No fix no fee, gets you in the door, but you actually knew the problem and that was the job, replacing a hdmi port, shouldn't be a no fix no fee. As you know what was broken.

Now the unit is broken, that is the situation i would have work done under no fix no fee.

For me an engineer reoprt is the only way you can move forward.

Check fuses, external and internal.
What do you have to loose?? Nothing.

Its your word against the repairer, unless you have a receipt for the works to be carried out.

You could get someone to take the unit back in under the no fix no fee, you never know, he could fix his own mistake, with out even realising.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral