Forums
Posted By: Excoriator Noise pollution - 5th Jun 2016 8:49am
According to google earth, I live about two miles from the Echo arena, yet during the past two days, the quiet of the evening has been ruined by a mindless and repetitive thumping emanating from that location.

I assume that it is some sort of 'musical' event which may sound better close up, but it is ludicrously over amplified and the low frequency thumping is all that comes through at this distance. Close up, the sound level must have been dangerously high.

Given that there are a lot of people living within a two mile radius of the arena, I am far from alone in having suffered this nuisance.

Surely it must be possible to limit this nuisance, either by limiting the amplified sound, or soundproofing the building.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Noise pollution - 5th Jun 2016 9:12am
It's an age thing, welcome to the ranks of grumpy old men smile
Posted By: missmahjong Re: Noise pollution - 5th Jun 2016 9:32am
Must be the River Festival, defo less tolerant to noise as one ages .....
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Noise pollution - 5th Jun 2016 10:48am
Its a noise level thing too. I can't recall any performances in my youth that generated the volume of sound that seems required now. Even in pubs, the arrival of a band means the end to any possibility of conversation due to overamplified performances.

I am not grumpy and I don't want to spoil anyone's pleasure. I merely ask that they should not spoil mine. If you have a building designed to house deafeningly loud performances for fans of that sort of music, its surely good manners and commonsense to design it to contain that sound. The Arena appears to be constructed like a tin shed.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Noise pollution - 5th Jun 2016 11:12am
Its an outdoor stage by the River, sound is going to carry.

I think the loudest concert I ever went to was Ted Nugent at the Liverpool Empire though Ian Drury and The Blockheads in Eric's Club must have been close.
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Noise pollution - 5th Jun 2016 3:22pm
poundland do earplugs wink
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Noise pollution - 5th Jun 2016 3:28pm
I think concert halls should be designed to be as soundproof as possible. Even if you like the music played, you won't after the high frequencies have been filtered out.

Noise is just as unpleasant a nuisance as an unpleasant smell. Sadly it is getting worse too, as fans of this music slowly damage their hearing and demand ever more Watts from the performers. Sound levels like some I have heard - even in high street shops - would not be tolerated in an industrial setting without protection, and H&S inspectors would close it down without such precautions being enforced, and rightly so.

As a matter of interest, there are many sound level apps you can run on a smartphone which will give you a good idea how damaging the sound level is. Although I doubt they are very accurate, but they don't need to be in the most extreme cases!
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Noise pollution - 5th Jun 2016 4:15pm
Originally Posted by eddtheduck
poundland do earplugs wink

Many professional musicians use them too.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Noise pollution - 6th Jun 2016 10:14am
I think the weather makes a difference. There's times I was on the prom by Egremont and it was quiet, and at other times you could hear the constant noise from the docks.
Posted By: NBSM51 Re: Noise pollution - 6th Jun 2016 12:47pm
Wind Direction and sound carrying across the water
Posted By: casper Re: Noise pollution - 6th Jun 2016 6:48pm
We have it more local, in stereo, the good weather has increased the noise levels, young ones next door thump thump thump they cant talk above the noise they shout, two doors down the same, no one appears to work they just sit drinking in the gardens all day, you can actually hear the mobile phone conversations they are that loud, anyone noticed the noise from car radios little ones strapped into what is basically an amplifier poor kids will be deaf by the time they start school.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Noise pollution - 10th Jun 2016 1:27pm
Tinnitus looms large for them all eventually. I suffer from it and it's a pain in the arris. Mine was from operating radios for 34 years though and I never used to go to concerts. Wouldn't wish tinnitus on anyone.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral