Forums
I got a parking ticket today in New Brighton - the problem was neither I nor my wife could work out why.

Behind the Floral Pavilion is a zone where only residents can park or for others a 2 hour restriction. So I parked in a spot with no yellow lines, no loading and and no disability restrictions for 90mins and got a ticket. But it turns out that then you break the restrictions because it is not in the areas by a sign.

It's the most confusing restriction we've ever seen and between us we have 40 years of driving experience. No residents only signs on the lamp post where we parked, no yellow line just this incomprehensible restriction sign opposite.

Anyone else had any problems with this and better still anyone successfully appealed?
This is a shock I always park there when going to Floral. Good luck with appeal
I'm not sure but I don't think the Pavilion side of Virginia Road has any signage for the bit between the double yellows and the loading bay. In which case, not only appeal (immediately) but also object to our money being wasted on incompetent and obviously over-enthusiastic parking w*kers.

Even if it is zoned, it still needs signs, especially within the bounds of other parking restrictions like double yellows and loading bays.

IIRC, the parking persona take a picture of both the vehicle and the relevant sign, ask to see the pictures.

Whilst some areas have resident parking zones, only Birkenhead has a full blown Controlled Parking Zone, New Brighton doesn't.
Go and take some photos BEFORE you appeal in case they sneak something up .
Is it Wirral council who done you or a private company? Write a polite letter asking them what the offence is (or does it say it on ticket?)and on what grounds.AT least then you will have something to go on. Good luck. Ive managed to get off 2 parking tickets by writing politely expressing reasons. One I was justified the other probably not but some mitigating circumstances and my line manager at Council managed to get it cancelled with a polite rap on my knuckles. That one was on those confusing resident signs.
Posted By: Mark Re: New Brighton Parking ticket behind Floral Pav' - 14th Feb 2016 4:56am
You have to change your thinking about how the tickets are issued.

The ticket officers just issue tickets if it looks like they may get a result, im convinced there not trained in basic laws.

They should be fined if the appeal is successful, also they should inform wirral council about sinage problems. Instead of issuing tickets with out due cause, saving the system time and effort.

Let us know how you get on.
Thanks for the great responses and support. I will raise an appeal and let you know how I get on..

In the meanwhile please be careful any non-residents parking in the area...
Posted By: Gibbo Re: New Brighton Parking ticket behind Floral Pav' - 17th Feb 2016 9:44am
I was there yesterday. Very confusing.

As you enter Victoria Road off Seabank Road, there's a big sign that warns you're entering a permit only area, in operation from 8am-10pm with permit J only valid to park. Nothing about times of operation.

But, go further on and there are the smaller permit signs which state the 90 mins / two hour parking.
It may also be worth pointing out that this side of the street is not residential, its commercial, so you wouldn't expect it to be part of a residential zone.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral