Forums
Posted By: j_demo abandoned vehicle in car park legalities - 24th Nov 2013 9:39am
hope this is in the right place, also considered putting it in "autowirral" and "law & order" but alas i ended up in here.

scenario:

i live in an old big house that's been converted into a few flats. there was a house next door of the same size that has also been converted into a few flats. both houses share a car park.

with me so far?

so basically there's JUST enough space for all residents to park a car in the car park, there's only one problem. there's been an abandoned shed of a car taking up basically 2 parking spaces since time immemorial. i have phoned the police who won't touch it as it's on private property. they have however told me that it's been declared as SORN since 2011 as the MOT, Tax and insurance haven't been renewed since 2011. this car was once white, it's now green with mould/algae and brown with rust. the police said they would send a letter to the registered keeper (wouldn't tell me who they were, or where they lived for "legal" DPA98 reasons) but that was about 2 months ago.

basically what i'm asking/pleading is this: does anybody know a (?legal) way i/we (the residents) get this POS removed from our car park to allow us to all park in said car park without one of us drawing a short straw and having to park on the main road.

to make matters worse, some builders have moved in and dumped a skip and some sand and are taking up 2 car park spaces with that. which has made the game of "musical car park spaces" even more wonderful... not.

legally would i get away with towing said car onto the main road? or is there anyone who i can contact to get it removed? i know streetscene used to deal with this stuff but i checked the website and it says nothing about removing abandoned vehicles...

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Dilly Re: abandoned vehicle in car park legalities - 24th Nov 2013 10:10am
Contact the owner of the house ?
Posted By: Helles Re: abandoned vehicle in car park legalities - 24th Nov 2013 10:20am
Council still deal with abandoned cars but not sure about ones on private property? If the flats are rented, can't you take it up with the landlord? Failing that, get a trolley jack and a couple of mates and put it on the street.

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: abandoned vehicle in car park legalities - 24th Nov 2013 10:45am
Originally Posted by j_demo
hope this is in the right place, also considered putting it in "autowirral" and "law & order" but alas i ended up in here.

scenario:

i live in an old big house that's been converted into a few flats. there was a house next door of the same size that has also been converted into a few flats. both houses share a car park.

with me so far?

so basically there's JUST enough space for all residents to park a car in the car park, there's only one problem. there's been an abandoned shed of a car taking up basically 2 parking spaces since time immemorial. i have phoned the police who won't touch it as it's on private property. they have however told me that it's been declared as SORN since 2011 as the MOT, Tax and insurance haven't been renewed since 2011. this car was once white, it's now green with mould/algae and brown with rust. the police said they would send a letter to the registered keeper (wouldn't tell me who they were, or where they lived for "legal" DPA98 reasons) but that was about 2 months ago.

basically what i'm asking/pleading is this: does anybody know a (?legal) way i/we (the residents) get this POS removed from our car park to allow us to all park in said car park without one of us drawing a short straw and having to park on the main road.

to make matters worse, some builders have moved in and dumped a skip and some sand and are taking up 2 car park spaces with that. which has made the game of "musical car park spaces" even more wonderful... not.

legally would i get away with towing said car onto the main road? or is there anyone who i can contact to get it removed? i know streetscene used to deal with this stuff but i checked the website and it says nothing about removing abandoned vehicles...

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hang on how do you know its been abandoned?

maybe the owner has snuffed it and thats why is still there.

have you tried knocking on the flats to find out whos it is sir?

WHAT CAR IS IT?
Posted By: Dilly Re: abandoned vehicle in car park legalities - 24th Nov 2013 10:53am
Ste, for you to take it with or without Demo's permission would be theft, be careful mate.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: abandoned vehicle in car park legalities - 24th Nov 2013 11:05am
Originally Posted by Dilly
Ste, for you to take it with or without Demo's permission would be theft, be careful mate.
happy

Cheers
Posted By: Mark Re: abandoned vehicle in car park legalities - 24th Nov 2013 12:05pm
I think this is an issue with the Land Lord.
As its private land I'm sure there must be something in the tenancy agreement.

If not then its up to you guys to put pressure on the Land Lord to get it removed / parked in one space or you will refuse to pay the full rent until its resolved.

* Its Private land that's the issue.
Posted By: Salmon Re: abandoned vehicle in car park legalities - 24th Nov 2013 12:35pm
Sorn only lasts 12 months and then must be renewed so I wonder if that has been done.
Some info here
https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q441.htm
and on page 7 here
http://kb.keepbritaintidy.org/vehicles/publications/guidevehic.pdf
Posted By: Moonstar Re: abandoned vehicle in car park legalities - 24th Nov 2013 2:13pm
Suggest the landlord puts notice on the car indicating imminent removal and charge for parking for two years.
Posted By: Blueskier Re: abandoned vehicle in car park legalities - 24th Nov 2013 2:53pm
If you can show you have a legitimate reason you can get the registered keeper from the dvla, costs about £2.
Posted By: Blueskier Re: abandoned vehicle in car park legalities - 24th Nov 2013 2:57pm
http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?s=fa368bed7ab61c8737c375ec6adf9a22&showtopic=85597
same thing happened to us mate. Eventually our landlord got a toe truck to drag it off his property and left it on the main road after about 3/4 days it had gone.

Defiantly speak to your landlord
Posted By: Cobby Re: abandoned vehicle in car park legalities - 24th Nov 2013 4:58pm
https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q441.htm seems to give the best course of action from a legal point of view.
Posted By: Salmon Re: abandoned vehicle in car park legalities - 24th Nov 2013 6:55pm
Snap
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: abandoned vehicle in car park legalities - 24th Nov 2013 7:25pm
I'm sure I read that cars with algae have a tendency to suffer from spontaneous combustion.
This would help with the car parking problem once it had been towed away.
Posted By: j_demo Re: abandoned vehicle in car park legalities - 25th Nov 2013 4:54pm
cheers everyone, i've emailed the landlord and they're going to look into it.

hoping it's shifted sooner rather than later.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral