Forums
Posted By: paxvobiscum Mattresses--Scam? Dodgy? - 23rd Aug 2013 11:37am
My daughter and I were stopped the other day, on the Millhouse Estate, by a man driving a bed van. We thought he wanted directions. He said he had two spare 'memory foam' mattresses going cheap if we wanted them, and it would save him taking them back.

I thought it was very odd and we would not have bought them in the circumstances.

Wondered if anyone else was approached.
Posted By: YinYang Re: Mattresses--Scam? Dodgy? - 23rd Aug 2013 11:46am
Yes indeedy. Tuesday. Middle-aged, bald-headed guy, driving a white van.

joyride
Posted By: Dilly Re: Mattresses--Scam? Dodgy? - 23rd Aug 2013 12:08pm
We get them calling in every now and again' just say no thank you.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Mattresses--Scam? Dodgy? - 23rd Aug 2013 12:10pm
seems legit
Posted By: karlb Re: Mattresses--Scam? Dodgy? - 23rd Aug 2013 12:26pm
Get loads of them when working in chester mainly irish accent white van laugh . Memory foam that losses it's memory. http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Beware-of-Fake-Memory-Foam-Mattresses-/10000000004680283/g.html
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Mattresses--Scam? Dodgy? - 23rd Aug 2013 12:33pm
The matresses might have been for comfort in case you were bundled into his van and assaulted.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Mattresses--Scam? Dodgy? - 23rd Aug 2013 1:07pm
comes round our garage at least twice a year, they are stolen from the company he is supposed to be delivering them for.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Mattresses--Scam? Dodgy? - 23rd Aug 2013 1:53pm
yup, come knocking at ours. said they had shifted a few to our neighbours.

Neighbours say no.
Posted By: justice Re: Mattresses--Scam? Dodgy? - 23rd Aug 2013 4:27pm
When a bed retailer removes the old bed from a house they place them on their skips to be collected by their carriers. Over the last year they have noticed that the mattresses are disappearing overnight.
It is assumed that they are stolen recovered with new covers and sold from vans in residential areas.
The retailers are not too bothered as they dont have to pay for the waste removal.

Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Mattresses--Scam? Dodgy? - 23rd Aug 2013 5:54pm
Same, couple of months ago at Bromborough retail park.

Just said no thanks.
Posted By: valli Re: Mattresses--Scam? Dodgy? - 23rd Aug 2013 6:02pm
Same here Prenton, Woodcurch,and Tranmere Sometimes he is selling PILLOWS,or duvets .they are poor quality ,Buyer beware.
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Mattresses--Scam? Dodgy? - 23rd Aug 2013 6:30pm
This happened to me on New Ferry Rd, it was quite a while ago now but it sounds familiar......van stopped and asked if I wanted a memory foam mattress, they said they had one left and didn't want to take it back, and quite a few people had bought them, I said no, then they asked if I knew of anyone who wanted one, again I said no...........
so they must still be trying to sell these things!!
Posted By: YinYang Re: Mattresses--Scam? Dodgy? - 23rd Aug 2013 6:41pm
Never buy in haste. Tell him you'll have to sleep on it... laugh
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Mattresses--Scam? Dodgy? - 23rd Aug 2013 7:37pm
Ironically, it was the patter of telling us that they only had a couple left and that 'loads of your neighbours have bought them' that set my radar twitching- I know my neighbours. However, this person dousn't and thats what gave her away!!! sherlock
Posted By: DJ_Karl_David Re: Mattresses--Scam? Dodgy? - 24th Aug 2013 9:18am
You're all too suspicious. If you cant trust a man in a van pulling up at random selling you possible dodgy goods then who can you trust!

Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Mattresses--Scam? Dodgy? - 24th Aug 2013 10:20am
Originally Posted by DJ_Karl_David
You're all too suspicious. If you cant trust a man in a van pulling up at random selling you possible dodgy goods then who can you trust!

The government? smirk
Posted By: missmahjong Re: Mattresses--Scam? Dodgy? - 24th Aug 2013 12:12pm
Just been chatting to son-in-law , and he tells me he knows a couple of lads from work who got 'sucked' in by this scam. Also his mum been targeted by 'roofers'. And an elderly neighbour been robbed ,by bogus Gas men,all in the same area. beware people.
Posted By: bazzoh Re: Mattresses--Scam? Dodgy? - 29th Aug 2013 2:52pm
currently driving around leasowe if anyone wants him!
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Mattresses--Scam? Dodgy? - 29th Aug 2013 3:06pm
Posted By: gopher Re: Mattresses--Scam? Dodgy? - 29th Aug 2013 3:35pm
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd..../1236542_578175768911182_877763215_n.jpg

Think police got them earlier?
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Mattresses--Scam? Dodgy? - 29th Aug 2013 3:35pm
Well just to give another side to this story, my daughter bought one off him, got a king size memory foam mattress, bartered him down from £220 to £80.00 and is absolutely made up with the quality of it thumbsup
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Mattresses--Scam? Dodgy? - 29th Aug 2013 7:06pm
Originally Posted by gopher

Strange, looks like the van os jacked up, drivers wheel is off the floor.
Posted By: x_plore Re: Mattresses--Scam? Dodgy? - 27th Sep 2013 11:11pm
My partner got scammed by him. In a blue van, got her outside Tesco, said it was a superking size mattress, was only a kingsize! Still leaning against the bedroom wall in packaging! That's £120 we will never see again!!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral