Forums
Posted By: Tony MK2 Clamping Down on Untaxed Vehicles - 21st Oct 2004 1:07pm
[Linked Image]
Merseyside Police is working in partnership with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) to remove untaxed vehicles and make St Helens roads safer.

The intelligence led operation, codenamed "Cubit", was carried out by the Town's Traffic Community Support Officers and Police Officers on Tuesday 12 October throughout the Town Centre, Windle and Newton-le-Willows neighbourhoods.

The operation uncovered 17 vehicles with either no tax at all or displaying tax discs that had expired – 10 were clamped pending payment of a £200 release fee or collection by the DVLA. A further 7 vehicles have been reported to the DVLA for displaying invalid tax discs.

Preventing future abandonment

This multi-agency approach encourages people to tax their motor vehicles and aims to prevent future abandonment. Agencies will also follow through with prosecutions for the full range of Road Traffic Act offences relating to abandoned vehicles.

Chief Inspector John Martin commented "This operation targets illegal road users who evade paying their road tax and, in some cases, may even be driving without insurance or an MOT. It's one of many initiatives we are running to make our roads safer and address the public's concerns over problems relating to untaxed and abandoned vehicles.

"Over the last 21 months, we have dealt with 242 untaxed vehicles in St Helens. People who are intent on pursuing the dangerous practice of driving illegally, or committing other such crimes should be warned - don't do it because you will be caught."
Posted By: cavsri Re: Clamping Down on Untaxed Vehicles - 21st Oct 2004 2:26pm
Got to say I totaly hate having to pay road tax and tax on fuel. They should choose one or the other. On the other hand, there is no way to get round it so you can't be to suprised if you get caught.
Posted By: Tony MK2 Re: Clamping Down on Untaxed Vehicles - 24th Oct 2004 5:51pm
I'm glad i have my car taxed and all legal as i wouldn't want this to happen to me......

what do you guys think?
Posted By: PAZ Re: Clamping Down on Untaxed Vehicles - 24th Oct 2004 6:22pm
Its a great idea, stops all scals so to speak, driving any car, and will make them think twice...
Posted By: Tony MK2 Re: Clamping Down on Untaxed Vehicles - 25th Oct 2004 12:46am
Maybe it will but say for instance right, as an e.g if you,me,scooby,sporty all law abiding people just happen to just miss out or forget to tax the modded car who have spend pure money on the motors and the morning you come out to go and get the car taxed and its been crushed!!!!!
i know i wouldn't be at all happy would you?
Posted By: Go Go Gadget Re: Clamping Down on Untaxed Vehicles - 25th Oct 2004 9:40am
as long as you have paid the tax in the past up to date and that your tax has only just run out you can be let of if it is 1 day over due.

you will still get the fine but any impounded vehicles will be released upon payment proof of tax.

however you get the reminder in enough time to get it taxed so you have no real excuse not to be taxed.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral