Forums
Posted By: boogaloo working on this bank holiday - 29th May 2012 9:48pm
Hi, hope someone can help. I have put a holiday in for this bank holiday but it has been declined, there is nothing in place ie paid time and a half. my question is can they do this as i thought it was a choice either have the day(s) off or come in and get paid time and a half. im checking my contract now but would like peoples imput please. Thanks x
Posted By: Anonymous Re: working on this bank holiday - 29th May 2012 9:55pm
I think it's down to your individual contract, in my place we are given statutory bank holidays but any extras, like this Tuesday, which isn't a statutory one had to go to the board of trustees to see if we could have it, we could, same as the Royal wedding last year, but it had to be given, it wasn't automatic! Check your contract, that's your best bet I reckon!
Posted By: TheDr Re: working on this bank holiday - 29th May 2012 9:56pm
Public and bank holidays
You do not have a statutory right to paid leave on bank and public holidays. If your employer gives paid leave on a bank or public holiday, this can count towards your minimum holiday entitlement. There are eight permanent bank and public holidays in England and Wales (nine in Scotland and ten in Northern Ireland).
If you work on a bank or public holiday, there is no automatic right to an enhanced pay rate. What you get paid depends on your contract of employment.
If you are part time and your employer gives workers additional time off on bank holidays, this should be given pro rata to you as well, even if the bank holiday does not fall on your usual work day.

Direct Gov Website
Posted By: boogaloo Re: working on this bank holiday - 29th May 2012 10:37pm
Thank You. Ive checked my contract and it says they will pay us time and a half but this has never happend so i think a trip to see my manager is in order, thanks again x
Posted By: muzzy2 Re: working on this bank holiday - 30th May 2012 12:31pm
I think this Tuesday is an official Bank Holiday just for this year.
I've just checked on Google.
Posted By: j_demo Re: working on this bank holiday - 30th May 2012 5:41pm
they might pay you time and a half but if you get paid monthly you might not notice it.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral