Forums
Posted By: lau2908 advice regarding home cctv - 6th Mar 2012 5:29pm
Hi

Ive heard conflicting things about this so wondered if any one knew the answer.

I have cctv at my house, front and rear, do i by law have to display signs stating cctv?

I read that if its on your premises and monitoring your car or garden then its up to you whether or not to put up signs.

I am just thinking if i was to ever need to use the footage for whatever reason, would i still be able to or wouldnt it hold up in court because there was no signs displayed?

thanks in advance
Posted By: pokerchamp Re: advice regarding home cctv - 6th Mar 2012 5:48pm
no you dont have to state that you have cctv,i know of a case where somebody was recorded without them knowing and it was used to convict them!!!!
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: advice regarding home cctv - 6th Mar 2012 6:16pm
When I used to fit CCTV in businesses, the law was they have to put signs up if they are recording images, the signs dont apply if its live only. The rules for domestic CCTV are a lot simpler

http://www.homecctvdirect.co.uk/home-cctv-uk-law.html

Should answer some of your questions
Posted By: Wheels Re: advice regarding home cctv - 6th Mar 2012 6:31pm
i have small signs on my window, when i went to court using my footage it was never asked.
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: advice regarding home cctv - 6th Mar 2012 7:35pm
Its more to cover things like insurance and the data protection act. Had you not had the signs up, the other party could have had it thrown out as inadmissible, as it is against the law for a commercial property not to have signs if recording cctv footage. This would obviously depend on how good the other parties legal representation was, and how serious the case was.

I had to do a few video retrievals for court and always put them signed, dated and verified as an "identical copies" in security sealed evidence bags. It wasnt asked to be done that way, but provided just in case the validity of the footage was brought into question.

Just because it wasnt asked for, doesnt mean it couldnt have been asked for. wink
© Wirral-Wikiwirral