Forums
Posted By: granny Electronic Signatures - 9th Jan 2012 8:36pm
Hoping this is posted on the correct forum.

Can anyone explain the validity of 'electronic signatures'? Are they legal,binding and/or open to fraudulent activities ?
My thoughts are that anyone could sign on your behalf and enter false details, then bingo, you're 'screwed'!
Posted By: tinapaula Re: Electronic Signatures - 9th Jan 2012 11:34pm
ive just had a look on youtube i dont think id ever use that lol.
Posted By: granny Re: Electronic Signatures - 10th Jan 2012 12:56pm
Originally Posted by tinapaula
ive just had a look on youtube i dont think id ever use that lol.

Thanks for your advice Tinapaula. Those sort of things scares the pants off me, as we really don't know what we let ourselves in for.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Electronic Signatures - 10th Jan 2012 1:28pm
They are used as an agreement until a written contract can be signed. Although it's not the same as the signature you put on the physical copy of the contract it is you saying you agree to sign the contract when it arrives. So yeah, it is enforcable in most circumstances. It depends on the small text.

Like if you order a service you can sign electronically and the service will start immediately rather than you having to wait on the mail (which will contain the full legal contract for the service provider's file).
Posted By: granny Re: Electronic Signatures - 10th Jan 2012 1:32pm
Originally Posted by ex0__
They are used as an agreement until a written contract can be signed. Although it's not the same as the signature you put on the physical copy of the contract it is you saying you agree to sign the contract when it arrives. So yeah, it is enforcable in most circumstances. It depends on the small text.

Like if you order a service you can sign electronically and the service will start immediately rather than you having to wait on the mail (which will contain the full legal contract for the service provider's file).
Thanks Exo_ . That helps to explain. Having looked at all the jargon on the internet I found that it left me none the wiser.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Electronic Signatures - 10th Jan 2012 2:34pm
Yeah that's because most of the online text about the subject will just pull up the Electronic Communications Act and you're kinda left on your own after that to figure it out yourself from the legal definitions. The ECA deals more with sending signatures electronically than the actual legal ramifications of signing the document. Plus there's different laws for different countries when it comes to e-signatures.

So if you do sign electronically it has the same legal consequences and is just as binding as a written signature.
Posted By: granny Re: Electronic Signatures - 10th Jan 2012 8:10pm
Originally Posted by ex0__
Yeah that's because most of the online text about the subject will just pull up the Electronic Communications Act and you're kinda left on your own after that to figure it out yourself from the legal definitions. The ECA deals more with sending signatures electronically than the actual legal ramifications of signing the document. Plus there's different laws for different countries when it comes to e-signatures.

So if you do sign electronically it has the same legal consequences and is just as binding as a written signature.

Thank you very much for clarifying.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral