Forums
Posted By: clagsey Bit of advice wanted please - 27th Nov 2011 8:53am
If somebody owes you a large sum of money in rent and you have something of there's is it legal to sell it for the money owed??
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Bit of advice wanted please - 27th Nov 2011 8:55am
No
BUT if they have no receipt or document they cannot prove it.
Posted By: lansyp Re: Bit of advice wanted please - 27th Nov 2011 12:03pm
if you cant sell it can you pawn it and give them the ticket ,dont know if its legal but it sounds good to me but personaly i would just sell what you have
Posted By: little_pob Re: Bit of advice wanted please - 27th Nov 2011 12:08pm
Only if they can be deemed to have abandoned said items, for example they left it in the property after moving out.

More: http://www.legalcentre.co.uk/tenancy-agreements/arts/abandonment-of-property/
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: Bit of advice wanted please - 27th Nov 2011 3:10pm
Possession is 9/10ths of the law, innit!! Sell the stuff and be hanged!!
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Bit of advice wanted please - 28th Nov 2011 12:50pm
No. It would be classed as theft. You can't sell something you don't own.

The fact that the person that owns the item owes you money has nothing to do with it.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Bit of advice wanted please - 28th Nov 2011 8:38pm
Originally Posted by ex0__
No. It would be classed as theft. You can't sell something you don't own.

The fact that the person that owns the item owes you money has nothing to do with it.

Bollocks mate, sell that shit, they can't do nowt about it.
Posted By: lansyp Re: Bit of advice wanted please - 28th Nov 2011 8:47pm
does the value of the thing you have cover the full amount of the debt if so i personally wouldnt think twice of selling it to get my money back.but !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Bit of advice wanted please - 28th Nov 2011 9:38pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_

I thought he wanted a literal answer, not the immoral one that most people would choose.

If I owed you £2k or something and I went to see you and left the keys to my car at yours and walked home because I was drunked to death, would you take my car and sell it? It's a bit of an extreme example but hopefully it gets my point across.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Bit of advice wanted please - 28th Nov 2011 9:48pm
Originally Posted by ex0__
Originally Posted by _Ste_

I thought he wanted a literal answer, not the immoral one that most people would choose.

If I owed you £2k or something and I went to see you and left the keys to my car at yours and walked home because I was drunked to death, would you take my car and sell it? It's a bit of an extreme example but hopefully it gets my point across.

No because a car has documentation.

Like I said, if he sells his crap and they run to the cops the cops will just tell them to take him to court as its nothing to do with them unless he has the receipt to proove ownership.
Thankya thankya.
What is it anyway?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral