Forums
Posted By: puntoar Excessive and Not in the public interest - 28th Jul 2011 8:28pm
Is it just me or is the treatment of this lady in court waaaay to excessive? What purpose has the tagging in all honestly? Its initial purpose was to keep re offenders inside at times when they are risk of of reoffending at certain times.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-animal-cruelty-wear-electronic-tag.html
Sounds like a deal - the magistrates have not fined her above awarding costs. She probably wouldn't go out anyway during the curfew hours.

Basically the magistrates have done the minimum to her whilst finding her guilty.

Sounds harsh but may suit her given the alternatives.

Posted By: Volly Re: Excessive and Not in the public interest - 28th Jul 2011 9:26pm
It's daft isn't it?

Last year, an old lady got tagged for selling a goldfish to an under age child ( age 14 instead of 16 ) - what was the point of tagging her?

To make sure she doesn't sell goldfish illegally out of hours?

I'm pretty sure this country has bigger problems to worry about than that.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Excessive and Not in the public interest - 28th Jul 2011 9:54pm
Absolute joke, punishing people for loving and being attached to something.
Posted By: Silverback Re: Excessive and Not in the public interest - 28th Jul 2011 10:05pm
R.S.P.C.A. Nuff said.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Excessive and Not in the public interest - 28th Jul 2011 10:07pm
Originally Posted by Silverback
R.S.P.C.A. Nuff said.

military pet police.
Posted By: phk68bay Re: Excessive and Not in the public interest - 29th Jul 2011 12:40am
it is hard when money is tight, an you love your pet, but you find a way. It does say if she had took it to the vets when it got sick it wouldn't have suffered and they propably could have made its quality of life better till it was too ill to stay alive. She said she couldn't take it because it was incontinent so no bus or taxi would take her, how does she know, i wouldn't have said anything and just booked one. She says misguided love, or is it more too poor and ignorant to find help?? Im torn on this one. Maybe a warning or a fine or a ban from pets would have seemed more fitting, but she says it has made her feel ashamed and humiliated, and maybe thats what she should feel? So maybe the tag was the right option after all. Umm a tough one.
Posted By: Shambo Re: Excessive and Not in the public interest - 29th Jul 2011 5:15am
Daily Mail. Nuff said.
Posted By: 24424m Re: Excessive and Not in the public interest - 29th Jul 2011 5:33am
Originally Posted by Shambo
Daily Mail. Nuff said.

withthat
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Excessive and Not in the public interest - 29th Jul 2011 6:25am
surly this opens up a debate about euthanasia...
Posted By: bert1 Re: Excessive and Not in the public interest - 29th Jul 2011 6:30am
A tag is more than enough, surely you don't want to see the old lady put down. noonoo
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Excessive and Not in the public interest - 29th Jul 2011 8:16am
Originally Posted by Sanchez
surly this opens up a debate about euthanasia...
For who?
Posted By: ponytail Re: Excessive and Not in the public interest - 29th Jul 2011 8:24am
Since when did fitting a tag become acceptable 'punishment fitting the crime'? This is humiliating and the judge should be repremanded or sectioned!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Excessive and Not in the public interest - 29th Jul 2011 8:48am
Seems downright bizarre when you look at it from one side, but I think DD has a point, magistrates have a set of guidelines from minimum punishments to maximum punishments and it may well be that they felt a tag on her leg that she can cover up and that probably won't actually restrict her freedom too much is a better bet than a hefty fine she may not be able to afford or, for example, prison time.

Imagine the outcry if she'd been sentenced to 6 months say?

The Daily Mail will always take a story like this and run with it, probably leading into some story about how Labour screwed up and allowed it to happen back from the days when they were running the place.

Yes, humiliating, I agree but we don't have the full story nor are we in possession of the sentencing guidelines for the crime. We also don't know exactly how screwed up the poor dog was and how much suffering she put it through.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Excessive and Not in the public interest - 29th Jul 2011 9:40am
When I get old but can still make it to the park, and smile and am content to be with my family, even though I might be incontinent - does this mean I will be put down by some outside authority and my family wont be helped by anyone?

A bliddy disaster!
Posted By: Silverback Re: Excessive and Not in the public interest - 29th Jul 2011 10:08am
Originally Posted by Moonstar
When I get old but can still make it to the park, and smile and am content to be with my family, even though I might be incontinent - does this mean I will be put down by some outside authority and my family wont be helped by anyone?

A bliddy disaster!

Not if the treatment doled out by old folks homes is anything to go by.

Humans can be starved, beaten, tortured, denied food and medical treatment.

So don't worry, you'll still be able to sit smiling, and dribbling, in your soiled underwear in the park, to the annoyance of your nearest and dearest.

Assuming of course, they haven't done the dirty deed and incarcerated you in the local care home!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral