Forums
Posted By: Pete_M who takes resposibility??? - 7th Dec 2010 6:26pm
Hi all, I've been lurking for a while but recent events have made me want to share this story....
This is my rant over person who has our mail delivered by accident to his address and not only had my crisis loan giro for £388.95, cashed it and looks as though he has got away with it, even though caught on CCTV!!! The following are the events that have led me to depair

26/11/10 Letter arrived from DWP stating repayment terms of loan

26/11/10 I telephoned DWP asking when payment would arrive, and was informed that it had been sent out on 18/11/10 I then decided to wait to see if the cheque would arrive in next few days.

29/11/10 No cheque by Monday so went to local post office (King Street Wallasey)to be informed that the cheque had been cashed,and staff promised to look through CCTV as the cashier said she would recognise person who cashed cheque, was asked to go back on 1/12/10 to see if anything found, I then informed DWP by telephone and went through the process of answering relevant questions, also informed Police, but were unable to assist as I am not the aggrieved person.

30/12/10 Sent e-mail to Wirral globe explaining my plight, Stephanie from the paper has been telephoning DWP, Police and Post Office

1/12/10 went to post office and saw the CCTV footage of person who cashed my cheque, this person I recognise as my neighbour, asked Post Office to keep tape for police, went back to police, again informed that as I was not the aggrieved person either DWP or Post Office needed to complain to Police for them to act, went back to Post office and was informed that manager would be available 2/12/10, after speaking to Stephanie from Wirral Globe DWP had no record of my call, so went to Dominic house and filled in form which will be faxed to relevant department.

2/12/10 went to Post office to see the manager (Jim) was informed he was not allowed to get involved, they will keep the CCTV tape for upto 2 weeks.

3/12/10 Went to DWP Liscard to enquire about a reissue, was advised the Wembley office (issuing office) would contact me.

6/12/10 Went back to DWP Liscard after no contact from Wembley office, was advised to phone Social fund BDC to explain situation, was advised that I would receive a call within 3 hours, no call was received, intent to go back on 7/12/10

7/12/10 Went back to Jobcentre as was advised that there would be NO re-issue of the cheque, and that they would ‘try’ to halt any repayments.

Great isn't it??? cry
Posted By: Snodvan Re: who takes resposibility??? - 7th Dec 2010 6:57pm
Leaves me speechless !!! Try your MP - They MAY be able to intervene.

Would be tempted to face the neighbour concerned but that could get nasty. Maybe it need to. Whatever happend you HAVE to get that CCTV tape preserved somehow. Maybe that is how the MP can help

Snod
Posted By: Pete_M Re: who takes resposibility??? - 7th Dec 2010 7:25pm
Thanks Snodvan smile Believe me, I have contacted everyone I can think of, the Globe is running the story tomorrow, I've e-mailed Angela Eagle and most of the MP's that are responsible for departments of the DWP, as for facing the neighbour, that's not a problem, but I have been 'advised' by our local bobbies in Manor Road not to take matters in my own hands, otherwise it will be me that gets arrested!! Don't ya just love our wonderful system ! smile
Posted By: kimpri Re: who takes resposibility??? - 7th Dec 2010 7:33pm
X neighbour? nono lamethrower grin
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: who takes resposibility??? - 7th Dec 2010 7:34pm
Bloody hell Pete. What happened to all this id you have to provide to get anything. I have to jump thru hoops to get hold of my own dosh and they keep telling me it is to do with money laundering but then someone can actually withdraw someone elses entitlement. What a cockeyed system we run. Why won't the police get involved in what is an obvious crime? I thought that is what they were paid for, obviously I am mistaken. Obtaining cash by deception should do for starters.
Posted By: xfpiriffy Re: who takes resposibility??? - 7th Dec 2010 7:35pm
/\ too right /\
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: who takes resposibility??? - 7th Dec 2010 7:36pm
If your not the aggrieved person (which in my opinion your are, on two counts), then the money is still "public money" and the police should take action for theft from the "public purse", fraud etc regardless of who reports it.

Typical Merseyside police - no blood and their not interested, law unto themselves and they wonder why they have such a bad reputation.

You could try the national benefit fraud line, though not really their thing, they may be interested. 0800 854 440

just my opinion
Posted By: Pete_M Re: who takes resposibility??? - 7th Dec 2010 7:44pm
Cheers guys, apparently he provided I.D. which was a utility bill and a letter from DWP ! I'm assuming he had had quite a bit of mail in the past as I spoke to another neighbour and exactly the same thing happened to him last July !! He needs to be stopped as if he has correspondence from the DWP then he will have my date of birth and insurance number, which could be used for almost anything!! I submitted a report to the national benefit fraud dept online, the post office too, but nothing back yet, I'm hoping that one of the MP's I contacted will be able to do something, you never know, one of them may actually take time to read my e-mail smile
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: who takes resposibility??? - 7th Dec 2010 7:50pm
A complaint to Royal Mail as well if they have been delivering that much stuff to the wrong address, there is always a chance the postie was involved as well!!!
Posted By: cathie Re: who takes resposibility??? - 7th Dec 2010 9:46pm
Is it not also mail fraud...opening mail in someone else's name? I would definitely make it known to the neighbour that you know what they have done...b******s
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: who takes resposibility??? - 7th Dec 2010 10:12pm
I hope justice is done. In the meantime, how are you meant to cope with the crisis, for which the money was awarded?
Posted By: Pete_M Re: who takes resposibility??? - 7th Dec 2010 10:19pm
As I stated earlier, I'm apparently not the aggrieved, but trust me, I am definately feeling aggrieved !!! I have some friends who are popping round to explain things to him, as he may have spent it all on whatever he's on, but he needs to understand how upset my grandkids will be this year wink Thanks for all your comments....Pete smile
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: who takes resposibility??? - 7th Dec 2010 10:26pm
madIwould wait untill he went out get my mates around and strip his place bear leave him with nothing some people only realize what shit is when it happens to them
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: who takes resposibility??? - 8th Dec 2010 11:40am
If he has various bits of false ID then he must be pilfering mail on a regular basis, obviously a habitual crim. In that case the bizzies should most certainly be on his case.
Posted By: AR_One Re: who takes resposibility??? - 8th Dec 2010 12:44pm
I reckon this might suddenly get sorted now it's hit the papers:

http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/8...iro_cheque_is_delivered_to_wrong_person/
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: who takes resposibility??? - 8th Dec 2010 1:49pm
Good luck Pete. Funny how you have to get huge publicity to get any joy though, bloody disgusting. Try that Roger Phillips on Radio Merseyside, it sounds like a story he wouldn't mind getting involved in.
Posted By: Wench Re: who takes resposibility??? - 8th Dec 2010 1:51pm
Originally Posted by PeteMoonan
he needs to understand how upset my grandkids will be this year wink

As bad as the situation is, I was under the impression a Crisis Loan was for a Crisis, not to be spent on grandchildren's christmas presents (which is what the above quote implies). That in itself is a fraudulent claim no

Originally Posted by gypsyjune
madIwould wait untill he went out get my mates around and strip his place bear leave him with nothing some people only realize what shit is when it happens to them

Once again, as bad as the situation is, I don't think encouraging more crime is the answer really.

I realise I will get flamed for this, but I'm sure it will get sorted eventually, especially now it's been brought to the attention of MP's and the media. I hope it is anyway.
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: who takes resposibility??? - 8th Dec 2010 2:36pm
Wench I thought he applied for a Budgeting Loan which is a loan that you repay with no interest, a crisis loan is a completley different thing when you have been burgled, robbed etc etc etc.

Pete I would definatley try your MP mate, when they get involved in things everything seems to speed up (plus they also know a thing or two about stealing from the public purse)
Posted By: Mark Re: who takes resposibility??? - 8th Dec 2010 2:45pm
I would love to see just who passed the buck and was actually responsible for this mess.

I think it will land at the Post man / Sorting office if you rewind the situation.

I do hope you get this sorted. Please keep us updated.
Posted By: Wench Re: who takes resposibility??? - 8th Dec 2010 2:48pm
Originally Posted by dizdazdoz
Wench I thought he applied for a Budgeting Loan which is a loan that you repay with no interest, a crisis loan is a completley different thing when you have been burgled, robbed etc etc etc.

my crisis loan giro for £388.95
Posted By: Pete_M Re: who takes resposibility??? - 8th Dec 2010 2:52pm
in reply to various comments smile
I have been asked to go on the Roger Phillips show to say how frustrating it is to get any answers.
Although classed as a crisis loan it was in fact a budgeting loan which comes out of the Social Fund and is paid back.
The secretary of Angela Eagles office contacted me this morning and have stated they will ask the Post Office to retain the CCTV, The police to act and the DWP to look into the situation.

Thanks for your comments and interest, I sincerely hope no one else has to jump through all these hoops in a similar situation....Pete
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: who takes resposibility??? - 8th Dec 2010 2:59pm
Thats good news then pete. When you on the radio, what station?
my sons giro went awol when he lived in Lincoln Drive (same area). He got a re issue.
Posted By: Tilly Re: who takes resposibility??? - 8th Dec 2010 3:01pm
Just been reading your story to my better half Pete. he said to say Hi grin and good luck your gonna need it by the sounds of it. fecking ... some people.
Posted By: Pete_M Re: who takes resposibility??? - 8th Dec 2010 3:04pm
Hi Rudbox,
I'm being contacted in the morning by Roger Phillips secretary, then I assume I'll be on between midday and 2pm on Radio Merseyside.
Never been on radio before so quite nerve racking !!! wink
Posted By: derekdwc Re: who takes resposibility??? - 8th Dec 2010 3:06pm
Similar thing happened to the woman next door to me but for a small amount she thinks one of her "mates" took it
I've noticed in council houses (I live in one)that have had new doors put in, that the post doesn't always drop through the letterbox to the floor and a letter may be kept in brush things behind and anyone calling could put their hand in and get any mail stuck there
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: who takes resposibility??? - 8th Dec 2010 3:10pm
Good luck. I'm sure you'll be fine!!
Posted By: Mark Re: who takes resposibility??? - 8th Dec 2010 3:28pm
I think with the evidence that you have seen (CCTV)
and the pressure now on those organisations to act and the story well into the public Domain, this really has to have a positive out come or there will be mud on a lot of official faces.

On the Radio.
Have a little note pad with a few notes on it to reply with as visual prompts for yourself.

This will get sorted and you will have a good Christmas smile
Just hang in there.

And thanks for sharing this story with us.

Mark
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: who takes resposibility??? - 8th Dec 2010 3:48pm
As I stated earlier, I'm apparently not the aggrieved, but trust me, I am definately feeling aggrieved !!! I have some friends who are popping round to explain things to him, as he may have spent it all on whatever he's on, but he needs to understand how upset my grandkids will be this year wink Thanks for all your comments....Pete smile
i'd hold off sending mates round just yet. It may prompt him to destroy evidence such as letters not addressed to him. The police may raid him, especially as he's done it before.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: who takes resposibility??? - 8th Dec 2010 4:13pm
Looks like there is a lot of backtracking already with the Wirral Globe on the case. Well done mate for being persistent thumbsup

I really hope the police get a formal rollicking over this, it is plainly theft and they should act never mind who reports it. We pay for these services from the police, I am fed up of the number of times the police either try and get you to withdraw a complaint or pass it off in other ways.
Posted By: Hiekel_Essterol Re: who takes resposibility??? - 9th Dec 2010 6:24pm
To all those moaning about the rights and wrongs of the OP claiming this quote is lifted from the newpaper article.
Peter Moonan, from Wallasey, was forced to apply for a budgeting loan from the Department of Work and Pensions after he found himself struggling to make ends meet.

He was hoping that the £388.95 would pay for a new cooker, as his old one had been condemned, and would help towards paying winter bills and Christmas presents.

Looks to me like he is asking for a crisis loan exactly what it was intended for.

Peter, I hope this gets sorted for you very very soon. Good luck on the radio mate.
Posted By: Toffeenose Re: who takes resposibility??? - 13th Dec 2010 4:28pm
How is this progressing Peter ....
Posted By: Pete_M Re: who takes resposibility??? - 13th Dec 2010 4:45pm
I think all the DWP, Police and Post Office staff are on xmas leave smile as I have not been contacted by any of them yet, I did receive an offer of a cooker on Saturday which I'm hoping to pick up this week smile I have to attend the jobcentre on Wednesday so I'll ask my advisor if there are any developments, and on a more positive side, I have been invited to an interview for a construction manager in early January, so here's hoping smile
Posted By: TheDr Re: who takes resposibility??? - 13th Dec 2010 5:21pm
If you have any trouble picking it up Pete give me a shout I can fit most cookers (apart from an Aga) in the back of my car so can easily collect it for you (probably can fit an Aga, but they're REALLY heavy.....) help
Posted By: Pete_M Re: who takes resposibility??? - 14th Dec 2010 12:45pm
Thanks for the kind offer Doc smile I am sorted now though.

Latest development is a letter from Angela Eagle with two copies of letters sent to a Darra Singh Chief executive of the DWP and one to Chief Supt John Martin Area commander Wallasey police station,basically outlining the events as described in my original post and asking them to investigate before any CCTV is destroyed, and also asking the DWP to reconsider my repayments on a loan that I never received, so, it may just still be a less stressful xmas after all smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: who takes resposibility??? - 14th Dec 2010 6:00pm
Sounds good PP. Fingers crossed....
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: who takes resposibility??? - 14th Dec 2010 6:30pm
Great news
yipee

The very best of luck for the job interview as well
Posted By: buddy Re: who takes resposibility??? - 14th Dec 2010 7:32pm
withthat
© Wirral-Wikiwirral