Forums
Posted By: Wheels Are they allowed? - 2nd Sep 2010 4:19am
Hey guys

In my workplace management have decided to put up on the notice board with everybodys names and how many days off they have had since being with the company.

It also has branson hicks score or something. Basically if you have one day off it's worse that having 3 days off all together so your score goes up and makes you look bad.

Now this notice hours is used by all kinds of other staff that don't work for us. Are they allowed to display this information like this?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Are they allowed? - 2nd Sep 2010 5:19am
This is one for Wench,, Wheels you need to start reading the Personal Data protection act, I know they can't disclose why you are off (sickness) that type of thing. In the meantime, take a felt tip pen and scrub your name out. I think its Braxton Hicks and something to do with contractions, your not are you, congratulations if you are. raftl
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Are they allowed? - 2nd Sep 2010 8:16am
First step is to write a letter saying you don't want your personal data displayed and that further action will be taken if this persists.

Keep it as vague as that and see what happens, most likely they may reconsider. Whilst it is most probably wrong for them to display it in the first place, it is much more wrong if you have expressly told them to remove it.

No doubt they also have "return to work" interviews, most people don't realise that your line manager has no right to know the reason you have been off sick, only the human resources department need to know this information and a non-medical person has not got the right to discuss your illness with you. The "return to work" interview is exactly what it says, it is to see if you need any special needs to help you return to work, most companies use it for threats and intimidation - this is illegal and comes under harassment which has been outlawed.

These sort of matters are why we need unions!
Posted By: BUNGUS Re: Are they allowed? - 2nd Sep 2010 8:21am
Isnt it mad how people get above themselves when they have a bit of power or rank over you. Hope you get it sorted.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Are they allowed? - 2nd Sep 2010 8:38am
This does appear to be unfair,but as usual it's the ones that continually take odd days off that spoil it for the genuine cases.
I certainly think it is wrong in any case that it is for public viewing!!!
Good Luck.
Posted By: bazzoh Re: Are they allowed? - 2nd Sep 2010 9:09am
Hi
its called the bradford calculator and its a pain in the arse! I was disciplined for having 2 days off in 12 months, whilst someone who had had 2 weeks wsnt! according to the managers (tnt), people arent ill for just 24 hours and there is no such thing as a 24 hour bug. I asked to see their medical qualifications but for some reason they didnt have any....
Posted By: Wheels Re: Are they allowed? - 2nd Sep 2010 11:14am
Just for the record I've only had 3hours off work since I've worked there (9months) yet they have put me down for a full day off.

I'm not happy because I'm always in early and take over my position reliving my co worker before work starts. I have been really sick before and worked with a bucket next to me so I could puke yet still do my duties. And for the sake of 3 hours at the end of a shift I get a whole day taken off me! That's just petty.

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Are they allowed? - 2nd Sep 2010 11:28am
As far as statutory sick pay (SSP) goes ....

"If an employee works any part of the day then that day is classed as worked"

However, I think employers are allowed to specify how part-day sickness works in their contract of employment (which everyone gets a copy of in accordance to the law - probably the most broken employment law)

You could challenge the part/full day information under the data protection act, as it is personal data held against you which is incorrect, or at the least, highly misleading.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Are they allowed? - 2nd Sep 2010 2:15pm
I don't think they are allowed to put it up where it constitutes "public viewing" my work had one up once and after complaints it was taken down and put back
up in the managers office.
Posted By: BUNGUS Re: Are they allowed? - 2nd Sep 2010 3:53pm
ITS ALL A BIG BUCKET OF SHITE!! Thats why I work for myself, Wheels sounds like a grafer but gets no thanks, I make sure my team know they are appreciated.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Are they allowed? - 2nd Sep 2010 4:23pm
Originally Posted by GALL987
ITS ALL A BIG BUCKET OF SHITE!! Thats why I work for myself, Wheels sounds like a grafer but gets no thanks

withthat
Posted By: Wench Re: Are they allowed? - 2nd Sep 2010 8:35pm
Employment Law's not my baby I'm afraid Bert. No idea if it's illegal or not, but I'd suggest if you don't want it in "public view" then put it in writing to your Manager.

I can look it up for you if you want honey.
Posted By: Wheels Re: Are they allowed? - 2nd Sep 2010 8:46pm
I had a word with the manager using DD's wording of it being highly misleading as I only had 3 hours off work. She is going to look into changing it smile
Posted By: philmch Re: Are they allowed? - 2nd Sep 2010 9:24pm
When no-one's looking, take the fecking thing down and dispose of it. It's a disgrace for people to be treated like this in their workplace.

Put this on the wall instead:
"Nowadays, ambition and the love of a job well done are the indelible mark of defeat and of the most mindless submission."
Raoul Vaneigem, The Revolution of Everyday Life, 1967.
Posted By: BUNGUS Re: Are they allowed? - 3rd Sep 2010 7:17am
ID WIPE ME ARSE ON IT AND PIN IT BACK UP WHEELS HAHAHAHAHA
© Wirral-Wikiwirral