Forums
Posted By: philmch Cowboy roofer alert - Prenton - 20th Jul 2009 11:55am
I live in Prenton and have just had a bloke turn up in a white van telling me that my chimney is about to collapse. He asked me for £300 in advance to pay for materials and would commence the job right away.

Needless to say he didn't get it. He is wearing a black top with the name of his company printed on it in yellow and he has an accent which is not local (possibly Lancashire or Cheshire). If anyone is approched by this man please get the number of his van and report it to the police.
Posted By: DJ_Karl_David Re: Cowboy roofer alert - Prenton - 20th Jul 2009 12:26pm
how do you know he is cowboy? what are you going to do now if your chimney collapses?
Posted By: philmch Re: Cowboy roofer alert - Prenton - 20th Jul 2009 12:54pm
Well it seems mighty suspicious when someone asks for £300 cash upfront without actually getting up a ladder and taking a proper look.

Would you hand over the cash ? What does the bugger do with it ? He does a runner of course.

As for the chimney, it's been pointed and the danger of imminent collapse was not reported. I've inspected it with binoculars and it looks solid. This is a classic example of FUD - Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt; a well known marketing technique.

I should add that the bloke is white, stocky build, short dark hair and I'd say in his 30s. He has a mate with him in the van.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Cowboy roofer alert - Prenton - 20th Jul 2009 1:13pm
Classic scam, will be praying on the elderly and vulnerable no doubt.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Cowboy roofer alert - Prenton - 20th Jul 2009 1:16pm
Call the police!
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: Cowboy roofer alert - Prenton - 20th Jul 2009 1:39pm
i'll keep a sharp eye out.
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Cowboy roofer alert - Prenton - 20th Jul 2009 6:17pm
i work in a builders mrchant and hear about lots of this type of thing.watch out guys as the old favourite tarmac boys are in the area again.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Cowboy roofer alert - Prenton - 20th Jul 2009 8:34pm
fookin gypo's
Posted By: kimpri Re: Cowboy roofer alert - Prenton - 20th Jul 2009 9:03pm
Gypo's wearing stetsons
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Cowboy roofer alert - Prenton - 20th Jul 2009 9:28pm
Originally Posted by kimpri1
Gypo's wearing stetsons

yerr man! withthat
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Cowboy roofer alert - Prenton - 20th Jul 2009 11:45pm
Just play detective and report any suspicious knobs to the plod, innit
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Cowboy roofer alert - Prenton - 20th Jul 2009 11:45pm
Just play detective and report any suspicious knobs to the plod, innit
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Cowboy roofer alert - Prenton - 21st Jul 2009 3:58pm
how bad is that? should have got him to go up and show you it wobble then remove the ladders. does chimney lean in over the roof? cos thats normal
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Cowboy roofer alert - Prenton - 21st Jul 2009 4:59pm
why don't we get the Wiki Posse gathered and mosey on down the trail to Prenton and meet at the OK Coral...!!!
Posted By: sean Re: Cowboy roofer alert - Prenton - 21st Jul 2009 6:02pm
i live in prenton. sounds like the same bloke that knocked at mine yesterday whilst i was at work. he told my girlfriend that the gutters were shabby and that he had some left over from another job and wanted money there and then to replace them.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Cowboy roofer alert - Prenton - 21st Jul 2009 6:08pm
Deffo sounds like a con-artist then.
People of prenton- prepare pens and paper to have at hand ready to jot down reg plates!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Cowboy roofer alert - Prenton - 21st Jul 2009 6:56pm
I find it difficult to believe that no one has got this scumbags reg.no. yet. Mindyou, the van is probably stolen/untaxed/uninsured/no MOT and the driver/con.man is of no fixed abode. ie.lives in a shed on wheels somewhere, surrounded by unwanted bits of stolen property, litter, excrement, mangy dogs, dead gas bottles etc. etc.

Oh sorry, maybe I'm not allowed to say such things in this wonderful PC world !!

Another one for medical experiments !!!
Posted By: philmch Re: Cowboy roofer alert - Prenton - 21st Jul 2009 7:08pm
I've now reported the incident to the police.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Cowboy roofer alert - Prenton - 21st Jul 2009 7:18pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Oh sorry, maybe I'm not allowed to say such things in this wonderful PC world !!!

Bought anything good Pinz?

tease
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Cowboy roofer alert - Prenton - 22nd Jul 2009 9:08am
I guess I walked right into that one !!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Cowboy roofer alert - Prenton - 22nd Jul 2009 10:46am
laugh
Posted By: philmch Re: Cowboy roofer alert - Prenton - 24th Jul 2009 2:51pm
Just received a pdf from the police via Prenton Tenants and Residents Association.

There is a warning out of a man claiming to represent Wirral Partnership Homes and is running a scam similar to the one he tried on me.

Those in Prenton Dell Rd, Johnson Rd, Boswell and Garrick Rd are known to have been targeted.

Call the police on 777 2452 if you think you have been approached.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Cowboy roofer alert - Prenton - 24th Jul 2009 3:54pm
At least the plod are doin sumfink
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Cowboy roofer alert - Prenton - 24th Jul 2009 4:52pm
Hmm i live up the top by the saddle club, i'll be waiting for this gyppo with a bag of onions and spray tin of raid!
Posted By: hoseman Re: Cowboy roofer alert - Prenton - 24th Jul 2009 7:51pm
You should be "Dirty sanchez" my friend!!
Arrebba, Arrebba..ondollez!!!
We come to get you, you dirty gringo!!!...(fade into tune of "The good, The Bad and The Ugly!!) raftl
© Wirral-Wikiwirral