Forums
Posted By: Mondeo_Scott PETROL STATION FRAUD - 1st Mar 2009 8:14pm
just had this via a txt

DONT USE THE MURCO PETROL STATION CASH POINT ON LEASOWE ROAD ITS APPARENTLY CLONING CUSTOMERS CREDIT AND DEBIT CARDS AND EMPTYIN ALL THERE CONTENTS OF THE BANK ACCOUNT

just be aware peeps thumbsup
Posted By: Wheels Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 1st Mar 2009 8:14pm
lol I had 3 texts in 2mins smile

Jase
STE
Scott

raftl cheers guys
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 1st Mar 2009 8:21pm
me to lol
Posted By: Anonymous Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 1st Mar 2009 8:39pm
wink
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 1st Mar 2009 8:55pm
how do we know this?
Apparently its both in the shop and outside at the atm???
Posted By: Snodvan Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 1st Mar 2009 8:56pm
Originally Posted by Mondeo_Scott
just had this via a txt

DONT USE THE MURCO PETROL STATION CASH POINT ON LEASOWE ROAD ITS APPARENTLY CLONING CUSTOMERS CREDIT AND DEBIT CARDS AND EMPTYIN ALL THERE CONTENTS OF THE BANK ACCOUNT

just be aware peeps thumbsup

That is a serious allegation. Evidence?

Snod
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 1st Mar 2009 9:02pm
If you put MURCO CARD FRAUD into google it is amazing how many places have been targetted!
Posted By: MissGuided Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 1st Mar 2009 9:03pm
Sounds like a miffed customer

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1020741
Posted By: Waddi Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 1st Mar 2009 9:04pm
Its not just happening at the Murco, its happening at a few different ATM machines around Wallasey at the minute, ASDA is one I know of for sure. 1st Ive heard about it happening in the costcutter shop, this would be plain daft of them.

IMHO, I do not believe the owners/workers of Murco/costcutter are directly involved.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 1st Mar 2009 9:04pm
racism?

apparently the cards are being used in india.

EVIDENCE PLEASE???
Posted By: Waddi Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 1st Mar 2009 9:08pm
The victims have also had money withdrawn in Canada and Europe.
Posted By: Mr_Ice_Man Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 1st Mar 2009 9:20pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_
racism?

apparently the cards are being used in india.

EVIDENCE PLEASE???

Gloucestershire Police
But carnt find anything local
Posted By: Wench Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 1st Mar 2009 9:21pm
Didn't the petrol station between the Stags and Clatterbridge have a few incidents of this last year??
Posted By: MissGuided Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 1st Mar 2009 9:24pm
Is there also a Nigerian with a large amount of money he wishes to launder, involved?
Posted By: Snodvan Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 1st Mar 2009 9:34pm
Yes, but that was dated July 8th 2008

Maybe there is or was some impropper activity with cards at fuel stations - but a specific "finger" on a specific station really has to be backed up.

In any event EVERYONE should always be alert to the potential for card cloning or misuse and follow the basic rules
- Never let the card out of your sight
- Be careful entering your PIN
- Always keep receipts until the transaction has been cleared / checked on the account
- CHECK your account. Easy enough with internet banking

A few years ago I was "done" for £1200 with a transaction to UK company after a one-off use of a Mastercard in China. Normally that card was never used (had not been for 9 months) but by mistake it was the one I had with me that day when I went shopping. The money was refunded.

Snod
Posted By: MissGuided Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 1st Mar 2009 9:35pm
Good advice there Snod
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 1st Mar 2009 9:38pm
This is worrying news. Hope no vigilantes go wading in there!
Posted By: MissGuided Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 1st Mar 2009 9:46pm
Well let's hope there are no neanderthals reading this thread this evening smile
Posted By: Waddi Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 1st Mar 2009 10:15pm
Its worrying for me as it my local petrol Station/Sweet Shop/Paper shop and I always use my card to pay.

Again I will say, IMHO I dont think the owners/workers have any direct connection, I have only heard about the possibility of the ATM being the culprit, not the chip and pin machine in the shop (please correct me if Im wrong).

If the garage does not have a connection with the crime, remember that they will be as much a victim as anyone, through loss of business and tarred reputation.

If you have any doubts, only pay by cash and dont use the ATM, but please dont buoycott, what ever happened to innocent until proven guilty.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 1st Mar 2009 10:18pm
innocent til proven guilty?
we live in an age of villagers with pitch forks and torches!!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 1st Mar 2009 10:34pm
we always pay cash, but we use our cards at the hole in the wall there.

Cards are a pain, cash is the future, no scamming involved then.

Talking of atms, what happened to the one in grove road waddi?
Posted By: Angela Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 1st Mar 2009 10:37pm
A friend was recently told by his bank that money had been fraudulently withdrawn on his credit card.The only time he uses this card is to pay a card protection fee to his bank!
Posted By: Waddi Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 1st Mar 2009 10:46pm
I've heard 2 stories about the grove road station ATM, it was either set on fire or rammed with a car, (it looked fire damaged to me) HSBC have been "Replacing" it since before christmas, is it still out of service, havent attempted to use it since xmas, was going late night shopping in Liverpool so parked there with intention of getting money out for train and spends, but obviously ATM was/is bust, luckily The train station now accept cards.
Posted By: DavidB Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 1st Mar 2009 11:05pm
Always use that Leasowe Road petrol station as it's open all hours. They have been given awards for whatever they've done on the wall. They seem okay and friendly in there anyway, however, they don't have a chip and pin machine.
It can always be one person and it's surprising how often this type of thing happens. It's not racism but it's usually Asians - I worked in the fraud department of MBNA a few years ago. It always happens in petrol stations and Indian restaurants. Of course, there's criminals in every culture but it just happens that this is one of their expertise. wink
Posted By: Waddi Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 1st Mar 2009 11:10pm
They had chip and pin, but it was faulty and declining peoples cards for no reason, so they got rid for a while, buts they have chip and pin again now.
Posted By: biscansplums Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 2nd Mar 2009 11:31am
hope this isn't true! I used the cash machine there yesterday and paid for my fuel with the chip n pin inside.
Posted By: Jobey Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 2nd Mar 2009 4:54pm
Originally Posted by PaganJay
Didn't the petrol station between the Stags and Clatterbridge have a few incidents of this last year??

I read about this on a sign displayed at Clatterbridge Hospital last summer some time.
Posted By: Mr_Ice_Man Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 2nd Mar 2009 5:47pm
Breaking News
Wirral Globe
Posted By: biscansplums Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 2nd Mar 2009 6:08pm
holy crap! my brother in law has just told me that a lad from his work has had £400 taken off his card in a transaction in Bangladesh! and that the lad had recently used that petrol station.
has anybody got any advice on what I should do as I used my card there on sunday and am now bricking it!
Posted By: Mr_Ice_Man Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 2nd Mar 2009 6:15pm
Originally Posted by biscansplums
holy crap! my brother in law has just told me that a lad from his work has had £400 taken off his card in a transaction in Bangladesh! and that the lad had recently used that petrol station.
has anybody got any advice on what I should do as I used my card there on sunday and am now bricking it!

The only best thing to do is contact your bank asap, and tell them the whole story incase they dont know about this problem on the wirral.
Posted By: biscansplums Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 2nd Mar 2009 6:33pm
just been onto the bank they advised me to cancel my card.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 2nd Mar 2009 10:31pm
the peeps in this petty station are quiet friendly smile

Posted By: AR_One Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 2nd Mar 2009 11:20pm
Just got forwarded an email from the Police saying be careful of card fraud at petron stations - didn't name names though!

Yes the BP in Spital was named in newspaper articles last summer about fraud meaning it's probably the safest one to use now as they'll be scared to try it again!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 3rd Mar 2009 10:12am
My dedicated fuel card, which has only been used at Murco has been hammered this weekend in Canada.

Having spoken to the police control centre, they have had in excess of 200 complaints and although it would be wrong to name names, they have told me to stay away from Murco. He even comments... and i quote "looking at the CCTV, i can see people going in and out of Murco now, I can't believe it - Tesco is only around the corner".

They did it last year too. Proven.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 3rd Mar 2009 10:16am
This sorta thing used to happen with the "Jet" frachise stations a few years back.

Maybe the Petrol / shop franchise isnt as lucrtive as initially looked... think
Posted By: Anonymous Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 3rd Mar 2009 10:38am
Been into Wirral Globe this morning, they have taken plenty of details from me and asked if I was interested in a photo opportunity.

He said off the record, the police have told him that there have been 'findings' and they are naming them in the paper tomorrow. CID have been checking out the ATM and the POS machine inside the store.

Look out for me in the paper!
Posted By: DavidB Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 3rd Mar 2009 1:52pm
Was listening to Radio Merseyside while I did the car and they had loads of callers saying they had used this petrol station and their card had been hammered abroard.
Does this station deserve anymore business? What are your opinions? I think I'll avoid this place for the time being. smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 3rd Mar 2009 4:41pm
3 arrests made today, following a raid yesterday.

the sheer number of people affected is staggering.

Posted By: biscansplums Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 3rd Mar 2009 6:59pm
there has been a police car parked outside the garage allday, probably as a deterent to stop people smashing the place up!
I went into work this morning and my boss has been done for £91 in canada, he used the p.o.s. inside the shop. plus I know of 5 other people who have been hit.

If it's the p.o.s. then it has to be somebody who works there. I'm not going back there again.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 4th Mar 2009 8:10am
Yep, its the POS as I dont think I have used the cashpoint with this card.

Hopefully the police car will stop people going in? Who knows.

But I certainly hope someone DOES smash the place up.
Posted By: DavidB Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 4th Mar 2009 12:16pm
'POS' = Piece Of Sh*t???
Posted By: Anonymous Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 4th Mar 2009 1:55pm
Originally Posted by Station
'POS' = Piece Of Sh*t???

Point of Sale - hehe.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 4th Mar 2009 8:09pm
Related?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 4th Mar 2009 11:26pm
Related? It's the same thing!

http://www.wirralnews.co.uk/wirral-...ught-up-in-card-cloning-100252-23059099/

Check it out... Im in the paper!

Also to be seen in the Echo!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: PETROL STATION FRAUD - 4th Mar 2009 11:29pm
Further to this, I'm told 'off record' that the fire at the Grove Road station ATM was for the purposes of getting people to the Murco garage where cameras were set up.

This is a massive crime, with the proceeds being used to fund very large 'projects' - police had been watching the garage for 3 months. I can't say anymore just yet.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral