Forums
Posted By: Mark Slash BT line rental to £4.50/mth - 28th Oct 2008 8:12am
Originally Posted by http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com
What's this about?

BT has recently launched a new social tariff, BT Basic, aimed at cutting the costs for those on certain benefits. It costs £4.50/month (compared to the usual £10.50/month line rental). This gives you line rental and includes £1.50 worth of calls each month. If you're eligible this can be a serious saving.

This tariff will eventually replace its Light User and In Contact Plus schemes.

Who's eligible?

To be eligible you must get one of the following benefits:

* Income Support
* Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
* Guaranteed Pensions Credit

Read More Click me

May help wink
Posted By: Angel_x Re: Slash BT line rental to £4.50/mth - 28th Oct 2008 11:12am
I tried to get a BT package when i moved into my new house, because there was no BT points in the house they wanted me to pay £135 to be connected confused
So the BT basic is ideal for me but at a high price smack frown
Stuck with Virgin now frown

Posted By: MattLFC Re: Slash BT line rental to £4.50/mth - 28th Oct 2008 6:16pm
Yeah its a decent deal for people on low incomes.

However I did enquire about it for my mother some time ago, and the sales advisor said the lines have limited features, broadband may not be possible (at the time she could'nt confirm this for some reason) and one thing to be aware of is any calls made outside of the allowance are 20p per minute iirc (although this may have been increased/reduced now), which is very expensive.

In theory it is an excellent offer, but with reservations, in practice it becomes very expensive for some users, and has limitations.

Nice one for posting it though Mark, BT are VERY quiet about the service, even though I am sure it will be of benefit to many thousands of low users, who just like to have a line for the odd call, and/or cant afford the standard line rental charges.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral