Forums
Posted By: DavidB DavidB's Vauxhall Astra mk3 - 29th Jul 2010 8:45pm
I've nearly had this car 8 years, I had it on the road again last month (after a year and a half off), but the engine ate itself. I wasn't sure what I was going to do, but managed to transport the V6 engine (50 quid as I had no transport whatsoever) and decided to put it in. The car has always been a workhorse, I think this will suit it for what I use it for, will eventually find a towbar that'll go under the bumper!

[Linked Image]

Engine had an immobiliser ECU with the key chips, etc. but wiring in was a PITA and meant I had to wait a week (without a car!) for a non-immobiliser ECU (I didn't know this, but apparently they're supposed to be uber-rare). Trial fitting of immobiliser wiring meant I had to re-sort the wiring which took about 10 hours. frown In some cases, (due to having no car), I had to head down to various scrapyards/halfords/motorfactors using public transport/bike/legs with a bag full of tools.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: DavidB's Vauxhall Astra mk3 - 29th Jul 2010 8:51pm
nice one bud! smile running yet?
Posted By: DavidB Re: DavidB's Vauxhall Astra mk3 - 29th Jul 2010 8:59pm
Yeah it runs A1, but the exhaust is blowing because the two unions don't match up, and I need to put PAS fluid in as it's screaming because I ran out! laugh There's a couple of little jobs to do on it yet. I'll miss the XE though, not sure if I'll have the 'It doesn't feel like the same car' thing.
Posted By: chris_gilly Re: DavidB's Vauxhall Astra mk3 - 29th Jul 2010 9:33pm
nice one, you'll have to pop in one day if your about so i can have a nose grin
Posted By: DavidB Re: DavidB's Vauxhall Astra mk3 - 29th Jul 2010 11:32pm
I will! Been told it's faster than the C20LET using the F20 gearbox, will have to see how it goes. smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: DavidB's Vauxhall Astra mk3 - 30th Jul 2010 12:02am
Great work dave, nice to see your keeping it happy
Posted By: DavidB Re: DavidB's Vauxhall Astra mk3 - 30th Jul 2010 5:43pm
Thanks, engine is a beaut, but I'm not doing that swap again!
You don't need a mk3 airbox, alternator or equal length driveshaft do you? (Driveshaft 'reduces' torque steer).
Posted By: polo_phil Re: DavidB's Vauxhall Astra mk3 - 31st Jul 2010 8:05pm
Were you in Birkenhead around half 11 this morning?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: DavidB's Vauxhall Astra mk3 - 1st Aug 2010 5:46am
Originally Posted by DavidB
Thanks, engine is a beaut, but I'm not doing that swap again!
You don't need a mk3 airbox, alternator or equal length driveshaft do you? (Driveshaft 'reduces' torque steer).

I`ll let you know on the driveshaft & spare alternator matey as i don`t know what i`m doing with the gsi yet?
Been missing it tbh while it`s been at the paintshop.
Posted By: dave_g Re: DavidB's Vauxhall Astra mk3 - 1st Aug 2010 10:21pm
that must be fun!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral