Forums
Posted By: Mark Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 14th Feb 2013 12:31pm
This is a Fantastic Idea thumbsup

Originally Posted by chriskay
I'd like to propose an idea for a "walk" for those of us who can't, or choose not to, walk very far. It's something I do from time to time, although for me it involves a trip up by train. It's based on using the great value Saveaway ticket on Merseytravel, which now costs £4.80 for the day.
Originally Posted by derekdwc
I was thinking of silver surfers/pensioners (that's if there are any others here besides me) using our free passes and visiting different parts of Wirral, having a pub/cafe meal or packed lunch and possibly having a local wiki member showing us around that area.
If folks are prepared to buy saveways etc - even better

These are fantastic idea's as we await the weather to warm up. The Cover of the Transport train / bus / ferry to stay out of the Elements. A Day out to meet new people and all for less than £5 if your not a Pass Owner. There are Various Tickets Available at any station with the only restriction being that you travel after 9:30am

This is a Fantastic opportunity to Relax and make some new friends.
Last Summer i done this on my own to kill some holidays and it would have been much more fun on reflection with friends. Its a great way to get out and were all not too far from a train station or bus stop. You get so much value for money with the saveaway tickets and family tickets. What i was suprised at was for about 4hrs i had a fantastic time. Southport walk around packed lunch and there i was home again in 4hrs but a great day out too. As its been mentioned Bus Train or Ferry this is a great excuse to bring members together on a day out. Free to bail out when ever you like (No on a ferry crossing) but if others want to make it a longer day thats fine. But we can go with each others flow.

I want to put together a Ride out to Southport on Sunday 24th Feb.
The Weather will be what it will be but a great day i'm sure of.
From 10:30am @ Hamilton Square To Return at 2:30pm
Making it all in all 4hrs of your day. Still time for a Late Lunch.

Sunday Time Table
Hamilton Square 10:41am Train Leaves. Arrives at MooreFields 10:46am

MooreFields > > Southport
10:55am Train Leaves for Southport And Arrives 11:39am

That's Just Under an Hour to Southport.

Return Journey
58 0r 28 past the Hour for Return from Southport to Morefields.
Arriving at Morefields for 40, 10 past the Hour.

From Moorefields to Hamilton Square 01 16 31 46 +9mins to Hamilton Square.
From Southport to Moorefeilds 28, 58 Arriving Moorefields 40, 10

These Times are Valid until 18 May 2013
Wirral Line Times change 21 April

Any Questions please post.
Please add your name to the list.

** First Meeting Point will be on the Platform at Hamilton Square Ready for the Train Leaving at 10:41am Towards Liverpool.
** This is open to anyone whom wishes to attend. No Age Restrictions.
Sounds good to me ,Mark !!!!!
Posted By: Mark Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 14th Feb 2013 4:11pm
Please Add your Name

1. Mark
1. Mark
2. T.C.
Miss Mahjong please
I won't be coming on this one; still too cold. I'll definitely come up for one later in the year.
BTW the Saveaway ticket can be used any time on Saturday/Sunday, it's only weekdays when it's after 9.30.
1. Mark
2. T.C.
3. missmahjong
1. Mark
2. T.C.
3. missmahjong
4. derekdwc
Posted By: Mark Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 14th Feb 2013 5:07pm
1. Mark + 1 Adult & Child
2. T.C.
3. missmahjong
4. derekdwc
I vaguely remember when they did a 10p train return trip to Southport.
The crowd coming back numbered 1000's
Anybody know what year it was?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 14th Feb 2013 6:36pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
I vaguely remember when they did a 10p train return trip to Southport.
The crowd coming back numbered 1000's
Anybody know what year it was?

@Derek...Is this your second life?
2. T.C.
3. missmahjong
4. derekdwc
5. kimpri
Posted By: Zubee Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 14th Feb 2013 9:26pm
2. T.C.
3. missmahjong
4. derekdwc
5. kimpri
6. Zubee
Posted By: Dilly Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 14th Feb 2013 9:45pm
Originally Posted by Zubee
2. T.C.
3. missmahjong
4. derekdwc
5. kimpri
6. Zubee

7. dilly
Posted By: kimpri Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 14th Feb 2013 10:41pm
2. T.C.
3. missmahjong
4. derekdwc
5. kimpri
6. Zubee
7. dilly
Originally Posted by Dilly
Originally Posted by Zubee
2. T.C.
3. missmahjong
4. derekdwc
5. kimpri
6. Zubee

7. dilly

8. Cathie
2. T.C.
3. missmahjong
4. derekdwc
5. kimpri
6. Zubee
7. dilly
8. cathie
Posted By: Mark Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 15th Feb 2013 9:12am
2. T.C.
3. missmahjong
4. derekdwc
5. kimpri
6. Zubee
7. dilly
8. cathie

Looking a head at the weather, it may be a little chilly but Sunny / Cloud and Dry thumbsup

For those that dont know, there are a few weatherspoon pubs about so a warm is never too far away, toilets, food and drink is plentiful from various outlets. There is always the possibility you can not get to the end of the pier, that happened on one of my visits, but that was a week day. I'm not sure if we would be in the right season for the fun fair ( If its still going ). But there is something for everyone.

When we get to Southport you can decide what you want to do there is no agenda so you can if you want do your own thing. We will arrange a time to meet back at the Train Station but if you want to go earlier or stay later that is up to you. We find going as a group and coming back on your own free will a much better experience for all. You can if you wish follow the main crowd and take the day as it comes to you. From past walks i can say we are all a great bunch of people and a great day out too.

The whole family for £10 a day out.
Come prepared like me ? Flask of coffee and a Home made Butties smile it does not have to be an expensive day. And Our Silver Surfers as Derek would say Travel Free thumbsup

I'm Looking forward to this. Its a Week on Sunday. Not this Sunday.
Posted By: rocks Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 15th Feb 2013 10:18am
http://www.visitsouthport.com/things-to-do
Nice to see a few more females are planning to join us, even things out abit.
Just a warning in case anyone is coming from that direction; there's no service on the Wirral line South of Rock Ferry that day. Bus replacement service.
Posted By: Mark Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 17th Feb 2013 10:33pm
Weather update (sunny)

Description: Southport weather
Attached picture Screenshot_2013-02-17-22-33-55.png
Posted By: Mark Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 18th Feb 2013 6:02pm
Looks like the weather will be pretty much the same as today.
Sunny and a little chilly.

But a Great day to be out smile

Please copy and paste the list and add your name smile
2. T.C.
3. missmahjong
4. derekdwc
5. kimpri
6. Zubee
7. dilly
8. cathie
9. Shadow Omega
Posted By: Mark Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 22nd Feb 2013 2:27pm
It's not too late to add your name to the list.
It's a great informal way to meet new friends, and at worst a great day out.
Posted By: Mark Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 22nd Feb 2013 6:43pm
Weather Check

Description: Southport Sunday Weather
Attached picture Screenshot_2013-02-22-18-45-45.png
Posted By: Zubee Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 22nd Feb 2013 8:27pm
Almost a heatwave!
Posted By: Dilly Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 22nd Feb 2013 8:50pm
flip flops and sunglasses then ? laffin
I`d love to go but ill health wins everytime. You would be bringing me back in a box. My blood pressure can be 240 over 110 on a good day lol.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 22nd Feb 2013 9:05pm
sorry to hear that Zipper, take care.
Thanks Dilly. I just heard snow on the way on Saturday. Hopefully Sunday will be ok. It is supposed to be snowing down south now.
Posted By: Mark Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 23rd Feb 2013 3:10pm
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
I`d love to go but ill health wins everytime. You would be bringing me back in a box. My blood pressure can be 240 over 110 on a good day lol.

Mark Scraps plans to take a picture of Derek on a Deck Chair (Pants rolled up to his knees and a hanky on his head).

weather update to follow
Posted By: Mark Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 23rd Feb 2013 3:12pm
It's a heat wave lol

Description: Southport Sunday Heatwave
Attached picture Screenshot_2013-02-23-15-14-36.png
Posted By: Mark Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 23rd Feb 2013 3:14pm
There are plenty of warm places to hide.
They also serve beer too lol

Ice poles required if you want to walk the pier lol

Actually there is a train to take you the length of the pier if its windy / snowing.
Have a nice day everyone.
Remember and take your cameras.
Here is a link to the webcam on Southport Pier
http://www.southport-pier.co.uk/
Posted By: Mark Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 23rd Feb 2013 6:41pm
Great find lol
You could give us all a wave :-)
Posted By: Mark Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 24th Feb 2013 9:19am
Will do lol
I will try and update this post if its not so cold my fingers drop off lol

I'm almost ready to head off to the station.
So i'm on the platform before most.

Looks like a fine day ahead smile
Posted By: Mark Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 24th Feb 2013 10:00am
Ticket Update

The All Zone Tickets (savaway) cover all zones and are priced individually.

£4.80 Adult
£2.50 Child

If you buy those tickets you can go on the ferries also.

The family ticket £10 2 Adults 3 Children is effectively a rail ticket only covering all zones.

I've just had that cleared up for me at the ticket office. Im sure we have said all of that before but there it is again smile
Posted By: rocks Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 24th Feb 2013 11:46am
stroke of luck just decided to check the camera and iv spotted some of you haha
Posted By: Mark Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 24th Feb 2013 11:51am
We are here.

Attached picture Screenshot_2013-02-24-11-49-15.png
looks like the weather will be staying nice for you guys.
Enjoy your day everyone
Posted By: Mark Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 24th Feb 2013 12:08pm
Inside the pier.

Attached picture Screenshot_2013-02-24-12-07-44.png
Posted By: Mark Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 24th Feb 2013 12:16pm
Derek it's not your cup pmsl
You can't take drinks on the pier train. Lol

Description: Right I have a pier train to catch
Attached picture Screenshot_2013-02-24-12-19-46.png
Posted By: Mark Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 24th Feb 2013 1:09pm
Last picture from the pier

Description: Derek was just in front lol
Attached picture Screenshot_2013-02-24-13-03-41.png
Looks like you all having fun!! smile
Posted By: Mark Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 24th Feb 2013 2:08pm
What a great day, plenty of laughs. We all met up as planned, and headed for the pier at Southport. After a warm at end of the pier we had a few split off to "mooch" around the gift shops. We planned to meet up at 1:45 to catch the train and the "moochers" planned to get the later one. That was great as the day was set up to allow individuals to do there own thing. Hopefully they found a few bargains.

Were on the train now heading back, we caught the best of the weather for sure. A great day and so nice to make new friends and to have a great group day out. It's a good start for wiki walks, there are more coming so keep an eye out for future walks. It's a great day out and the easiest way to make new friends.

Thanks to everyone who made it today.

P.s. Rude yu mums lovely x
Glad it went well for you all.

Mark- aye, she is. smile
Posted By: Dilly Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 24th Feb 2013 8:12pm
cheers Mark. thumbsup
thumbsup To the first Wiki event that i have been on.The weather was good to us and i enjoyed meeting every-one to-day,Every one , was friendly and felt we all 'rubbed' along very well. Looking forward to more events though the coming month's. Maybe more will join in. Thanks to mark for organizing.
Posted By: Zubee Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 24th Feb 2013 9:31pm
Really good day, interesting people and something different. But it was bloody freeeezing!

Looking forward to the next one.

Maybe we could have a pub meet, myself and missm would happily be your wine tasters laugh
Some pics.
I bravely gave up the joy of the invigorating walk along the three quarter mile each way pier to get some pics of the tram.

Attached picture PIER.JPG
Attached picture PIER2.JPG
Attached picture TRAM.jpg
Attached picture TRAM2.JPG

Description: 10 old pennies for a £1 to do the slot machines
Attached picture SLOT.JPG

Description: carousel
Attached picture CAROUSEL.jpg
Pics are fab!!!
Hope u all had fun
More pics
What does the HER in the monument pic refer to - Great Britain or Queen Victoria (sadly I didn't go closer to see which war it was)

Attached picture MONUMENT.JPG

Description: Blachpool Tower in the distance
Attached picture TOWER.jpg

Description: the slim view mirror
Attached picture SLIM.JPG
Attached picture WALKING.JPG
Attached picture WALK2.JPG
Attached picture S1055216 [1600x1200].JPG
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 24th Feb 2013 10:57pm
Great pics!

Hope to join you all on the next one.
I'm in for the next one smile

1. Eddtheduck

Posted By: Mark Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 25th Feb 2013 8:56am
Great pictures Derek Thanks for sharing.

If you had only seen Derek in the drivers seat on the way back lol
He was seriously in the drivers seat.
Ok ok not the one facing forward lol

Summer Events being bounced around are Hilbre Island and then the Iron Men a few weeks after, maybe in the summer holidays to make it a family affair. Keep up to date in the Wikiwalks chat thread smile

A few local walks to blow out the cobwebs.
Posted By: rocks Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 25th Feb 2013 9:13am
great pics Derek thumbsup
Great pics,thanks for sharing.
Hopefully i can come on one when less busy.
some pics from me

Description: Nice bag joe mate lol
Attached picture trip 029 (Copy).JPG

Description: follow the lines
Attached picture trip 030 (Copy).JPG

Description: old game
Attached picture trip 033 (Copy).JPG

Description: Bell
Attached picture trip 036 (Copy).JPG

Description: Having a laugh
Attached picture trip 038 (Copy).JPG

Description: End of the line
Attached picture trip 041 (Copy).JPG

Description: open gate
Attached picture trip 042 (Copy).JPG

Description: b/w
Attached picture trip 045 (Copy).JPG

Description: more
Attached picture trip 048 (Copy).JPG

Description: Bridge
Attached picture trip 049 (Copy).JPG

Description: more
Attached picture trip 050 (Copy).JPG

Description: seascape
Attached picture trip 052 (Copy).JPG
more

Attached picture trip 053 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture trip 054 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture trip 055 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture trip 056 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture trip 057 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture trip 058 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture trip 059 (Copy).JPG
Attached picture trip 060 (Copy).JPG
Posted By: rocks Re: Wiki Walkers : Free Pass / Saveaways / Day Out - 13th Mar 2013 7:43pm
nice pics doc thumbsup
Originally Posted by rocks
nice pics doc thumbsup

Thanks sis took my time getting them up tho lol
Hi people, its been nearly 3 months since our day out in Southport.How do you all feel about doing another one, say the first sunday in June the 2nd. Location to be decided by those who may be interested.The weather is good for walking ect....
Miss Mahjongg
Originally Posted by missmahjong
Hi people, its been nearly 3 months since our day out in Southport.How do you all feel about doing another one, say the first sunday in June the 2nd. Location to be decided by those who may be interested.The weather is good for walking ect....
Miss Mahjongg
ok smile
Anyone fancy going to the Liverpool War Museum one Saturday.
It costs £6 for one , but if a party of 10 would cost £3-50 each.
Go over and return by a bus, train or ferry using a saveaway or if you have a free pass
click
© Wirral-Wikiwirral