http://www.mikekemble.com/mside/bidston/bidstonhall.jpg
http://www.bidstonchurch.org.uk/

1.T.C.
2.Rock Ferry
3.Bonzo }
4.Shum Shum } Lift Dependant
5.The User With No Name }
6.GillnMick and Cassie the Springer
7.The Computer Lab & Baby George (dates depending)
8.Alex
9.kev
10.jonno40
11.lalaland
12. Bezzy
13. Rudebox
14. Plusone

anymore peeps!

View Larger Map
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 1st Jun 2011 10:50pm
Originally Posted by TRANCENTRAL

meet up at the church?

St Oswalds?.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 2nd Jun 2011 12:00am
Originally Posted by KevinFinity

meet up at the church?

St Oswalds?.
Thats the one mate!
Posted By: rocks Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 3rd Jun 2011 8:01pm
TC what kind of walking are we doing? do i need my boots on for wading through fields or we sticking to pavements so id get away with flip flops if its hot?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 3rd Jun 2011 8:04pm
Hmmm? This is always a dilemna. tease
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 3rd Jun 2011 8:05pm
Rocks, you should never wear flip flops to walk anywhere!
Very bad for your back etc.
Posted By: rocks Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 3rd Jun 2011 8:12pm
if its this hot i want to get the pegs out ha
i av so many aches and pains anyway what i wear on my feet doesnt make a difference i was in bits last wk when we meet up and i had walking boots on! ha
Posted By: Mark Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 4th Jun 2011 10:47am
once you pass the 6 houses in the village you will wish you had your boots on. sunny day views only a little walk up the hill smile

you could stick flop and flip in your bag smile

if jonno makes it you will be amazed at his knowledge, enjoyed a few walks that way with jonno smile
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 4th Jun 2011 11:12am
BIDSTON VILLAGE WIKIWALK SUNDAY 5TH JUNE 12 noon
meet up at the church?

http://www.mikekemble.com/mside/bidston/bidstonhall.jpg
http://www.bidstonchurch.org.uk/

1.T.C.
2.Rock Ferry
3.Bonzo }
4.Shum Shum } Lift Dependant
5.The User With No Name }
6.GillnMick and Cassie the Springer
7.The Computer Lab & Baby George (dates depending)
8.Alex
9.Plusone
10.jonno40
11.lalaland
12. Bezzy
13. Rudebox

anymore peeps!

Gutted. Sorry I found out last night that I have to be somewhere else on Sunday so I can't come. I was looking forward to it as well. frown
Posted By: rocks Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 4th Jun 2011 1:52pm
yep mark boots it is then!! haha
yes looking forward to learning more local history should be good walk!

kev gutted matey was looking forward to meeting you! hopefully you'll be free for the next walk!
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 8:31am
Hi guys.i have been away at my daughters wedding and wasnt aware until now that today was the day for this walk.i will try my best to get there but as i say i have just got back from a very hectic weekend and have lots to sort out so i might not be able to make it
frown
Posted By: Mark Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 9:53am
Ive added google Maps into the first post wink
You can move it around and get your barings.

Hope that helps.
Posted By: Mark Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 2:04pm
suprise i showed my face :-)

Enjoyed my little day out.

if your looking for any reading material ask bezzymate she cleared the church.

nice of that chap to show us the sad grave stone.

Attached picture 2011-06-05 12.21.54.jpg
Attached picture 2011-06-05 12.18.53.jpg
Attached picture 2011-06-05 12.17.53.jpg
Attached picture 2011-06-05 13.03.22.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 2:52pm
You are actually joking me!?

Mark, you turned up? Gutted I didn't get a chance to meet you.

I was at a tennis club function last night and although I retired from Sunday league tennis about a month ago, I got talked into playing this morning at 10am as they needed some strength flex but the game went on until 11:59 so I text TC and let him know I probably wouldn't make it.

Hopefully we can catch up another time Mark.

Hope you all had a pleasant walk, I'll be at the next one. Really regretting agreeing to the tennis now.

Just watching Nadal destroy Federer. That man is a wizard with a tennis ball.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 2:59pm
We missed your company Nobody,we thought you must still have the
runs!

Mark I will pass the reading material onto you ASAP! Nice to see you today.

Thanks to TC for his knowledge of the area and the lovely girlies for their company.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 3:48pm
Enjoyed this afternoons wander. Thanks Tc and Bezzy, for the lift.
frown for the missing faces and smile for the couple of unexpected ones.
Posted By: rocks Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 5:56pm
thanx TC for your time and organizing the walk it was lovely, girlys great to have a catch up, softy and mark nice to meet you in person today, first of many i hope!
already looking forward to the next walk smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 6:03pm
I think that today was the first one that the menfolk were out-numbered by us girlies grin
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 6:16pm
Originally Posted by Mark

Can any one remember the year this lady died?
Posted By: rocks Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 6:19pm
a couple of pics

Attached picture bidston walk 009.JPG
Attached picture bidston walk 018.JPG
Attached picture bidston walk 022.JPG
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 6:36pm
Nice pics,what was the sad story?
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 6:57pm
Originally Posted by poodlepup
Nice pics,what was the sad story?

Hi PP.
I was a very touching script on the stone - hopefully someone else can remember the words better than I can.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 7:05pm
Here's mine smile

Attached picture SAM_1080a.JPG
Attached picture SAM_1081a.JPG
Attached picture SAM_1082a.JPG
Attached picture SAM_1083a.JPG
Attached picture SAM_1084a.JPG
Attached picture SAM_1085a.JPG
Attached picture SAM_1086a.JPG
Attached picture SAM_1087a.JPG
Attached picture SAM_1088a.JPG
Attached picture SAM_1089a.JPG
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 7:09pm
The inscription was (not verbatim)
....19 years a Maid, 1 year a Wife, 10 days a Mother.
frown
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 7:11pm
Thanks for posting,i must get myself up there sometime.

Which church was it? It looks nice.
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 7:14pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
frown

aww poor soul.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 7:14pm
Well done Rude
It's St Oswalds on Bidston village Road. They'd just finished service and invited us in making us very welcome and sharing their knowledge with us
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 7:19pm
frown
How come i remember this and no-one else? This was at the beginning of the excursion when i was half asleep and dehydrated!!
Fab pics Softy. I love the Liverpool skyline ones thumbsup
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 7:19pm
frown
How come i remember this and no-one else? This was at the beginning of the excursion when i was half asleep and dehydrated!!
Fab pics Softy. I love the Liverpool skyline ones thumbsup
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 7:22pm
Originally Posted by poodlepup
Thanks for posting,i must get myself up there sometime.

Which church was it? It looks nice.
St Oswalds
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 7:23pm
cheers girls.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 7:27pm
Great pics, and I'm sorry I couldn't be there.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 7:41pm
The inside of St Oswalds church is very very similiar to St Hilarys in W. Village-almost like a scale Model! (St Oswalds is much smaller)
Last year, when we did this walk, Softy, Sue and I were interested in one particular grave inscription-a 'resident' at Leasowe Castle (see first Bidston Walk thread).
We learnt today that Leasowe Castle occupants were 'connected' to St Oswalds.
I wonder why? Why here and not the 'grander' St Hilarys???
Also, is it co-incidental that the two churches are very similiar?
Posted By: A_L_K Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 7:45pm
Sorry, I never turned up! I was working last night. So I was extremely tires this morning, I would of text but I had noones mobile number of who was going!
Sorry again! Looks lovely :-)
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 7:47pm
Interesting i will go and have a gander at other thread,thanks
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 7:48pm
Originally Posted by lalaland
Sorry, I never turned up! I was working last night. So I was extremely tires this morning, I would of text but I had noones mobile number of who was going!
Sorry again! Looks lovely :-)
I'll pm you my number, sausage x
Posted By: A_L_K Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 8:18pm
Thank you smile x
Posted By: ThatChap Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 9:51pm

I was 'that chap' - I'll note the date next time I'm up there....
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 10:00pm
Originally Posted by ThatChap

big thankyou that chap nice one smile
ment to ask you about the tower and the prest hole frown
Posted By: ThatChap Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 10:08pm
Originally Posted by ThatChap
[quote=Mark]

big thankyou that chap nice one smile
ment to ask you about the tower and the prest hole frown [/quote]
Ask away and I'll try and get an answer :-)
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 10:12pm
thumbsup ThatChap and welcome to Wiki
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 10:12pm
Posted By: ThatChap Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 10:19pm

Thanks..... smile
Posted By: Geekus Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 10:39pm
If the grave that you're interested in is the obelisk near the tower door I'm pretty sure it was for someone named Mrs.Clark who died aged 21, and the inscription says "Nineteen years a maid, two years a wife, nine days a mother, and then departed life".
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 10:44pm
i think that we are on the same page geekus.
do you know anymore about her?
Posted By: Geekus Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 10:59pm
Not much mate. I'm rattling my brains trying to remember if there was a date on that stone. If I can find out anything about it I'll let you know tomorrow.

About some of the other things you said:- I think the Custs may have gone to that church rather than Wallasey because it's actually nearer (to Leasowe Castle). There used to be some kind of family vault or memorial in the base of the church tower. There's still a side room with a small glass case set in the wall that has a wreath of white flowers preserved in it, sent by Queen Victoria to mark the deaths of one of the Cust family. I kid you not, it's something like a hundred and thirty years old! Try and ask to see it next time you're in there.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 5th Jun 2011 11:09pm
Originally Posted by geekus
Not much mate. I'm rattling my brains trying to remember if there was a date on that stone. If I can find out anything about it I'll let you know tomorrow.

About some of the other things you said:- I think the Custs may have gone to that church rather than Wallasey because it's actually nearer (to Leasowe Castle). There used to be some kind of family vault or memorial in the base of the church tower. There's still a side room with a small glass case set in the wall that has a wreath of white flowers preserved in it, sent by Queen Victoria to mark the deaths of one of the Cust family. I kid you not, it's something like a hundred and thirty years old! Try and ask to see it next time you're in there.

omg kicking myself that we didnt ask for 'backstage access'
Thankyou for your additional info tho- fascinating history, right here on our door steps!
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 6th Jun 2011 4:28pm
That’s a helluva memory you’ve got, geekus. Remembering the surname helped me track down the MI. The inscription in full is:

“Sacred to the memory of Martha, wife of William Clark, youngest daughter of John and Catherine Owen of Moreton, who died 8th September 1846 aged 21 years.

Nineteen years a maid, two years a wife, nine days a mother, and then departed life.”

Sounds like childbirth complications. If anyone’s interested I can do a bit more digging into her background as I have a lot of info on Bidston and Moreton.

Right again on the wreath. It was sent by Queen Victoria to the funeral of Percy Cust who died in 1884, aged 14. From memory, he was one of the Queen’s Pages.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 6th Jun 2011 4:36pm
Great Stuff you two some good info thumbsup worth a revisit me thinks smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 6th Jun 2011 4:39pm
Great stuff. Thanks laugh
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 6th Jun 2011 5:37pm
some interesting stuff there,geekus and nightwalker.
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 7th Jun 2011 12:49pm
worth a revisit me thinks smile

Yep…count me in next time. A couple more bits of info on the questions raised by your visit.

Martha Clark’s child was named Catherine and she was christened on 11th September 1846 – the same day as her mother was buried. What a day of mixed emotions that must have been for the families.

Bidston was the Cust family’s local church. Noel Smith in his book ‘Almost An Island’ writes: “Lady Cust used to attend Bidston church making the journey to Bidston along Reeds Lane. She would ride in a yellow curricle with outriders in attendance. The servants would also go with her”. Now that’s style!! He also writes that “At the church she acted as a sort of banker, with whom the village folk could deposit their savings. At the rear of the church there was a small folding desk behind which she would sit”. I wonder if the desk is still there.

Lady Cust is buried in Bidston churchyard. Her epitaph reads “Mary Ann Cust, wife of Gen. the Hon Sir Edward Cust, bart., born 23rd September 1799 died 19th July 1882”
Posted By: rocks Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 7th Jun 2011 4:10pm
thanks for that info, it would be good to go back and ask about the desk!
Posted By: ThatChap Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 7th Jun 2011 6:39pm
Originally Posted by nightwalker
worth a revisit me thinks smile

Yep…count me in next time. A couple more bits of info on the questions raised by your visit.

Martha Clark’s child was named Catherine and she was christened on 11th September 1846 – the same day as her mother was buried. What a day of mixed emotions that must have been for the families.

Bidston was the Cust family’s local church. Noel Smith in his book ‘Almost An Island’ writes: “Lady Cust used to attend Bidston church making the journey to Bidston along Reeds Lane. She would ride in a yellow curricle with outriders in attendance. The servants would also go with her”. Now that’s style!! He also writes that “At the church she acted as a sort of banker, with whom the village folk could deposit their savings. At the rear of the church there was a small folding desk behind which she would sit”. I wonder if the desk is still there.

Lady Cust is buried in Bidston churchyard. Her epitaph reads “Mary Ann Cust, wife of Gen. the Hon Sir Edward Cust, bart., born 23rd September 1799 died 19th July 1882”

The desk is still there - just ask and we'll show you - we just have to make sure the door is held shut first - the desk opens into the space where the door opens!
Posted By: rocks Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 7th Jun 2011 6:45pm
oh thanks for letting us know!! smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 7th Jun 2011 6:45pm
Yer. Great stuff.
Are the flowers still there?
Posted By: ThatChap Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 7th Jun 2011 6:52pm
Yer. Great stuff.
Are the flowers still there?

Yes to that too smile
Posted By: Geekus Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 8th Jun 2011 9:22am
Apparently, Lady Cust was also responsible for closing down the village pub. She didn't like going to Church on a Sunday morning and seeing the local drunks all sleeping off their hangovers in St.Oswald's churchyard!
Posted By: rocks Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 8th Jun 2011 9:25am
Apparently, Lady Cust was also responsible for closing down the village pub. She didn't like going to Church on a Sunday morning and seeing the local drunks all sleeping off their hangovers in St.Oswald's churchyard!

lol typical woman haha

oh geekus you'll have to come with us when we go back!!
Posted By: Geekus Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 8th Jun 2011 4:21pm
Thank you, rocks. I'll certainly look out for that.

And in answer to the question by Rudebox about the flowers, yes, I saw them there only a year or two ago. yes
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Bidston village walk sunday 5/6/11 - 10th Aug 2011 8:33am
If you see anything from a member called kabom, don't follow their links - they are a useless spammer!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral