Our Success is in our members who value our strength as a valued community.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,360
Posts1,033,313
Members14,578
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
12 members (3 invisible), 10,299 guests, and 511 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
PaulRobson, meolswanderer, Firminafirm, YesterYearGenea, Luke121
14,578 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 6:55pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
Topic Replies
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by diggingdeeper - 14th Apr 2024 2:42pm
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 13th Apr 2024 3:35pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 10th Apr 2024 11:00pm
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Abakumss - 8th Apr 2024 9:04am
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by casper - 6th Apr 2024 9:09am
Wirral waters
by casper - 6th Apr 2024 9:07am
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by hootmeil - 4th Apr 2024 1:15pm
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
casper 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
casper 4
Mark 4
granny 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#665981 11th Feb 2012 8:20pm
MattLFC Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
I know the vid is from CES a few weeks ago, but apparently they started running the challenge in US phone stores yesterday, so I hope it comes over here, then they should make it £100 lol, I wanna take the challenge laugh

[youtube]kQjGe53zw6w[/youtube]

Day 1's Victims...

iPhone 4
iPhone 4s
Motorola DROID Bionic
Motorola DROID Charge
Motorola DROID x2
Samsung Galaxy S
Samsung Galaxy SII
Samnsung Galaxy Nexus
HTC EVO 4G
Samsung Skyrocket
Blackberry Bold
Blackberry Curve
Palm Pre Plus

I see they had nobody with a Windows Mobile to pit it against, now that is what I wanna see, WM vs WP lol...

Google Ads
Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
My friend has one and I was quite surprised that it was better than I thought it would be. Not sure I could sacrifice my android as it still seems to lack features and apps etc but would probably get one over an iphone

[Linked Image]
I am a signature virus, copy me into your signature to help me spread.
MattLFC Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
It has all the main apps (over 50,000 to be precise) so apps are generally not an issue (only noteable exception is Opera Mini nowadays though there is ways to use it, and Google are trying to prevent [unsuccessfully] Youtube apps from working, but its near-impossible to do so).

I don't know if it lacks "features" as such, but they certainly don't give the user 100% control over everything like Andoid or Windows Mobile do - but that's the whole point of WP, to make everything intuitive, and work seemlessly (Microsoft learnt bigtime with their WM failings in the consumer market). Metro works like a dream on a phone, I can't wait to see how it runs on tablets with Windows 8.

Lucky for me, it's upgrade time, and I'm gonna jump to a Nokia 710 once they get white and cyan handsets out (who wants boring old black, urgh) for its hard buttons and funky design, the lack of Opera Mini is still a concern for me, but everything else is just perfect. Certainly beats the very stale iOS GUI hands down, makes it look and feel very outdated and clunky.

I'd choose Android for control and wide-range of specs and options, WP for simplicity and performance, iPhone for a fashion statement (though the Nokia 800 is a serious contender) and simplicity and Blackberry for those on a limited budget. Seem's there almost a smartphone for every type of person. Tis just a shame HP threw in the towel when they did!!

smile

MattLFC Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Funny thing is as well, Microsoft make more money from every Android handset sold, than they do from the license fee for every Windows Phone sold. They also make money out of every iPhone sold.

So it's seemingly a win-win for their mobile division, no matter what you choose to buy - probably why they can afford to offer $100 challenge haha!!

When it was first introduced, as a long-term WinMo user, I was initially very sceptical of Windows Phone and where it was going, but Mango (7.5) was the gamechanger for me.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Hang about.

I dont know what kind of publicity stunt this is but its a scam. Windows phone is truly awfull! Android is still in beta and wont be finished for years, honeycomb is good but miles away from a polished finish. Oh and just to proove why WP is awfull watch this...

Really funny.

[youtube]SHoukZpMhDE[/youtube]

Teen Anal anyone? WTF!

Last edited by TheComputerLab; 12th Feb 2012 6:39pm.
MattLFC Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
It's not a scam mate - they're rolling the challenge out to US phone stores. You actually have to use Windows Phone to appreciate how fast, stable and efficient the system is - and how seamless everything operates, how it just simply "works".

The OS has received critical acclaim from all sides of the spectrum, and 2012 is being touted within the tech world as the year of the Windows Phone, even pro-iPhone journalists are now questioning/demanding that Apple need to to up their game significantly if they want to compete with WP7.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/why-i-dont-want-an-iphone-any-more-50006257/

Of course it's not perfect; WP7 is just the start - WP7.5 put right a lot of the criticisms myself and other WinMo loyalists had slated it for initially, the G2 devices ironed out any lingering flaws that existed in the G1 devices, and WP8 will be out by the end of 2012. This time last year, WP7 was still finding it's feet, manufacturers were still getting to grips with having to comply with strict handset specifications (which, like the iPhone, ensure QoS) and the "new" handsets were almost carbon-copies of the final range of WinMo handsets, but with improved CPU's and 3 buttons instead of 4 (7 Pro = TP2, HD7 = HD2 etc...), developers were still wondering whether apps were worth the time and effort (everything on WinMo got "warezed" and there wasn't enough handsets in peoples hands to warrant development, manufacturers were even still producing WinMo handsets at the time, Microsoft didn't have the biggest phone manufacturer on earth onboard (Nokia), and the handsets that were out, were expensive and people did not know what to expect (another WinMo experience, or something better?). Nokia's sales of the Lumia 800 are approaching the 2 million mark, a handset that was launched just 9 weeks ago! Shops are even actively pushing Windows Phone handsets now, the Lumia being the flagship, and fast becoming an icon - compare this to a year ago, when all any shop wanted to sell you was an iPhone, and the staff in the shop's had not even heard of Windows Phone, or completely disregarded it, making statements how it was "out of date" (it is the newest OS to market) and how it was for business customers and no interest to most (the truth couldn't be any further away - WinMo became a business OS, WP7 was, from day one, built with the objective of not being a business OS - if Microsoft wanted that, WinMo 7 would have been released in 2008). There is even muted talk of RIM, with some of their investors pushing the idea, eventually changing over to WP in light of their QNX delays and anticipated adoption problems. Indeed, Nokia had various choices when choosing an OS to go with, a choice that will make-or-break Nokia's desire to return to the dominant western phone manufacturer. Some of those choices included:

- Windows Phone
- Meego
- Maemo
- Symbian
- Android
- Bada/Tizen
- WebOS

Nokia are a company with HUGE aspirations, being the biggest manufacturer or phones in the world, carries high expectations from shareholders. Nokia chose Windows Phone above all the others - an Elop connection or no Elop connection, if they believed any other OS available to them was better, they'd have gone with it.

WP7 was built from scratch (it bears no relation to Windows Mobile, which was scrapped half-way through development of WinMo 7/Photon), so it is still not fully developed either.

I fail to see how that shows why Windows Phone is awful; day-today usage decides if it's awful or not, not a pointless application. It's one small element, that realistically, nobody uses in everyday usage - which could also be a scam (in fact, is very likely to be - for instance we don't even know what version of WP is on the device). TellMe was out a long time before Siri, and is till in development. On the basis of a 2 minute video, you have come to the conclusion that almost everyone else within the tech-world is wrong?? Very strange...

Apple diehards will never be convinced anything is better, if Apple started selling pieces or turn with their badge on it and called it iShit, people would buy it. Microsoft, Nokia, HTC, Samsung, ZTE, Dell, LG arnt interested in Apple fanbois, the few people who have £500 to throw on a phone every 12 months - they are interested in the mass-market.

Are you honestly suggesting the iPhone 4s was what you were expecting from Apple? They are sticking to their guns, touting the same old shit, and the rest of the industry is leaving them behind. The iOS GUI was revolutionary in its day, it changed everything. But it's "day" was 2007, and we are now in 2012. Just like Windows Mobile was once way ahead of its time, but that was in 2002, and Microsoft were still trying to plug it right upto 2010. The world does not stand still, and no amount of feature recycling/rebranding will help Apple keep up with the competition. The only people who buy into Apples "give it a fancy name to make it seem somehow better then the rest" philosophy are fanbois, of which there is a lot, but the industry are beginning to get tired of seeing the same old stale GUI time and time again, with Apple seeming scared witless to rock the boat, to try and replicate what they did so well in 2007 with the original iPhone and bring to market, the most innovative product imaginable - nope, Palm and Microsoft have done that in 2009 and 2011 respectively, and Apple have been found wanting.

What can I say; Steve Jobs is dead, and with him died Apples vision, aspiration and knowledge of his demographic - the world. Steve Jobs made that company what they are, developed the products into what they became and listened to, and could forsee what the world wanted. Nobody else in Apple seems to be capable of doing that - the iPhone 5 will be deal-breaker for many, it "has" to do something more than just recycle age-old tech into "iTech", it has to fundamentally change the way we do things - if it doesn't, people won't stick around forever, as the once in-fashion Nokia found out with the drawn-out demise of Symbian.

And fyi, Ice Cream Sandwich blows Honeycomb to pieces - hardly fair to use an out-of-date OS as a modern-day benchmark (yes, we know Apple are still plugging their 5 year old GUI). Honeycomb was always a bit of a mess in all honesty, and not where Android was ever going to stay.

Microsoft have a lot of people by the short and curlies now, which is why they can literally throw money at the mobile division, like nobody else - they are making money on practically every smartphone sold, irrespective of OS - and are seemingly the only company who has not got themselves involved in an ongoing soap-opera of patent battles - a problem that is forcing the others to take their eyes off the ball, to restrict their future development to avoid future disputes - meanwhile, Microsoft are creaming money off everyone else, and concentrating hard on blowing the "iDroid" market monopoly to pieces...

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Thats a very good post. I am not a fan of any OS really i try to use which ever is the best. The iphone is starting to look a bit stale and the release of the 4s was pointless.

My renewal is in August and i do hope that there is a viable alternative to Iphone but i think i will probably just keep my iphone 4 until something decent is on the market..

MattLFC Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
I think it's just a case of whatever suit's you best. Plenty of people will stick with the iPhone/Android/WebOS etc, regardless of what comes out, because if it's not borken, why change it. I'm of a similar opinion with regards Windows Mobile, but as it's no longer supported in any way by Microsoft and developers, I know it's living on borrowed time. I've been running Froyo on it, and to me, it seems too much like WinMo - clunky, incomplete and geeky. Which would have suited me once upon a time, but now I just want simplicity, smoothness and reliability.

With the demise of WebOS, imho, it leaves me with two options; iOS and Windows Phone. Right now, Windows Phone is the better OS in my own opinion, basically because Apple have not kept up and Microsoft have sweat blood and tears, and caught onto a fantastic new GUI implementation, to ensure they are gunning for market-share.

The core problem with Apple sitting back on their laurels, while the competition surpass their once-revolutionary GUI's and user-experiences, is if I were paying £500 (or signing into a ridiculously expensive contract) of my hard-earned every 12 months or so, I'd want something that was absolutely top-notch, ahead of the game, and something that was different to last time, and certainly the time before that.

The iPhone 4s failed to deliver that, and iOS 4 and 5 both failed to deliver that. The iPhone 5 "has" to change everything - just like the advert says!!

It needs to for the rest of us non-iOS users, if only to keep Microsoft and Google on their toes, and the innovation flowing.

laugh

Moderated by  Mark 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Car paint jobs
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 8:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 3:37pm
Member Spotlight
TheComputerLab
TheComputerLab
Wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
Wirral waters
by casper - 2nd Apr 2024 11:32am
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 11:52am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 8:57pm
News : New Topics
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Car paint jobs
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 9:04am
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,105 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,078 Spotted!