Peterson next up for Khan
British champion confirms his third outing in America

Britain's Amir Khan has confirmed that he will defend his WBA and IBF light-welterweight titles against American Lamont Peterson in Washington DC in December.

Khan defended the belts in Las Vegas against Zab Judah in July and will now take on mandatory IBF challenger Peterson in the United States on December 10.

It will be the third time that Khan has fought Stateside and the contest is expected to be the last time he fights at 140lbs as he looks to step up to welterweight to set up a mega-fight against unbeaten Floyd Mayweather next summer.

Peterson, 27, has won all but two of his 31 fights, with his only defeat coming against Timothy Bradleyin California two years ago.

"I am looking forward to returning to the United States to face a worthy challenger like Lamont Peterson," stated Khan, who has lost just one of his 27 contests.

Active champion

"I always said I wanted to be active and a true world champion and I will prove it on December 10.

"I know Lamont is a strong contender but it doesn't matter that I'm fighting him in his back yard, I'm coming in as champion and will leave as champion."

Peterson, who was born in Washington DC, added: "I respect Khan for his accomplishments and as a champion, but this is something that goes beyond all that.

"This is the moment I've been waiting for my entire career, and to win a world title at home is something that I will remember forever.

"On December 10, I will make my dreams come true and ruin Amir's plans to reign over his division."

Golden Boy chief executive Richard Schaefer confirmed that the Khan fight will take place at the Washington DC Convention Center.