Everton FC sign Slovakian keeper Jan Mucha, as Jo heads for Galatasaray

EVERTON have agreed a deal for Slovakian international goalkeeper Jan Mucha on the day Brazilian striker Jo ended his spell on Merseyside.
[Linked Image]
The 27-year-old Legia Warsaw keeper has agreed to join the Toffees when his contract runs out in the summer.

Mucha is Slovakia’s first choice keeper with 13 caps, and is likely to play for them in this summer’s world cup in South Africa.

The ECHO understands he will complete his switch to Goodison Park after the tournament, to bolster David Moyes’ goalkeeping options.

During a day of behind the scenes action at Goodison, Jo’s season-long loan deal was severed.

The 22-year-old returned to Manchester City, and was then immediately loaned to Turkish side Galatasaray.

Jo had been suspended earlier this month by David Moyes for returning to Brazil without permission over the busy Christmas period, and although he had since returned to training the manager had lost faith in him.

He joins Australian defender Lucas Neill in swapping Merseyside for Istanbul during the January transfer window.

Mucha, who was rumoured to also be a target for Stoke City, will provide extra competition for Tim Howard’s first team place alongside current deputy Carlo Nash.

He has been Legia boss Jan Urban’s first choice at the Stadion Wojska Polskiego since the departure of Lukasz Fabianski to Arsenal in 2008 and the deal could signal the end of Iain Turner’s Everton career.

Meanwhile, MTK Hungaria midfielder Andras Gosztonyi has confirmed he will fly to Merseyside this weekend for his postponed trial with Everton.

The big freeze earlier this month put his initial trial on hold but the 19-year-old will get a chance to impress Andy Holden next week.

“In December I couldn't travel because of the postponed games that we had to play in the Hungarian Cup and at the beginning of January it was the snow and the bad weather which prevented my travel,” Gosztonyi revealed.

“As I know I'll attend training at Everton until next Friday and they'll decide about me then.”

THE ECHO