John Barrowman seems to have all the luck at the moment.

The popular actor, who portrays Captain Jack Harkness in Torchwood, managed to survive a terrifying high-speed crash after losing control of his car.

42-year-old Barrowman, whose character on the show cannot die, was filming a slot for Fifth Gear when the accident happened.

He was taking part in a race in Powys, Wales, with Fifth Gear presenter Tiff Needell, who was in the passenger seat when the crash happened.

The £120,000 Subaru slid down a verge, flipped four times and almost went into a lake at the bottom of the hill, according to the News of the World.

Paramedics pulled Barrowman and Needell out, and removed shattered glass from Barrowman's eye before he was taken to hospital.

Barrowman said: 'I'm lucky to walk away unscathed. I got a ticking off from my mum afterwards.'

Thankfully for his matinee idol looks, the Torchwood star was only left with cuts and bruises and nothing permanent.

The crash will be screened on tomorrow's Fifth Gear, which is shown on Channel 5.

Barrowman's survival comes just three years after Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond crashed the Vampire dragster during filming. while travelling at 288mph.

Hammond suffered a serious brain injury and was lucky to survive at all.

He is now fully recovered and back presenting Top Gear with co-presenters Jeremy Clarkson and James May.

[Linked Image]