Police clerk's ancestor killed Pc

A Bristol police inquiry clerk who discovered an ancestor had murdered a policeman 140 years ago has led a drive to have the officer's grave restored.

Elaine Rees who works at Trinity Road police station was tracing her family tree when she made the discovery.

Pc Richard Hill, 31, was stabbed by her great, great, great uncle William Pullin while trying to stop him mistreating a donkey in Old Market.

Records show William Pullin was sent to prison for 20 years for the murder.

A rededication ceremony will be held later at Arnos Vale cemetery.

"It was quite an unusual twist as far as family trees go and I was determined to do whatever I could to help trace the family, so I visited Arnos Vale Cemetery where Pc Hill was buried," said Elaine Rees.

Ms Rees was unable to find any of the dead man's remaining relatives and began fundraising to have the grave restored.

The Police Federation, the National Police History Association and Avon and Somerset Police made donations.

A service conducted by the force chaplain Andy Padgett and attended by other senior police representatives including Deputy Chief Constable Rob Beckley will be held later.

THE BBC.CO.UK