Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,280
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
12 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 7,886 guests, and 533 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 21st Mar 2024 9:27am
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DA_DIBZ Offline OP
Smartchild
OP Offline
Smartchild
Paddy Shennan spends some time in Tranmere, which has the lowest life expectancy rates in UK

Welcome to Tranmere – where many children are expected to fight a losing battle from the moment they are born.

Welcome to Tranmere – where many children are born into deprivation and disadvantage.

Welcome to Tranmere – where you will struggle to find a silver spoon.

Click link for rest of the report.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/evening-read-tranmere-deprived-places-6645586

Google Ads
Forum Veteran
Online Content
Forum Veteran
Give us jobs and crime in Tranmere will drop
I tend to agree with that.
I wonder what the figures would have been before we lost all the thousands of jobs

A lot of industry that employed thousands of local folks that were fairly local to Tranmere and Birkenhead have disappeared
To name some I can think of (please add if anyone remembers more)

Cammell Lairds
British Leather
Champion Sparks
Cadburys
Squibbs
The Docks
Bidston Steel

Last edited by derekdwc; 29th Jan 2014 10:02pm.
Newbeee
Newbeee
If ya move smack eds to tranmere from all over birkenhead ya goin to get a lot of crime.it no rocket science,the old chester road is like night of the living dead

Forum Master
Online Content
Forum Master
Labour Cllr Brian Kenny, one of the councillors who represents Birkenhead and Tranmere ward, believes the nation needs to address the issue as a matter of urgency. He told me: “It cannot be right that people born on the east side of Wirral – in Birkenhead and Tranmere – are likely to die many years earlier, between 11 and 13, than people born on the west side, in somewhere like West Kirby. That is unacceptable and something is obviously drastically wrong.

He obviously didn't see that midwife programme that was on BBC2 last year. They focused on two expectant mums in one episode - on in West Kirby, the other in Birkenhead.

The Birkenhead one could have been straight out of "Benefits Street", they had no cooker, just went out and got takeaways every night because they didn't want to or know how to cook.

The midwife suggested cookery lessons, paid by the taxpayer of course.

What the hell is wrong with going down to the library, picking up a Delia Smith or Jamie Oliver cookbook and learning?

I wish I could afford takeaways every night, and I work!

At some point the tradition of handing down skills from parent to child has broken, and looks like it will continue.

Here's the programme:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01m2dlf

Some parts of the borough (Tranmere in particular) have higher than average rates for smoking, binge drinking etc. as well as lower immunisation rates amongst children. Personal choices such as these surely must account for some of the gap in life expectancy.

The comparison with North Korea was particularly shocking, and shameful IMO.

Forum Master
Forum Master
I remember (MANY) years ago, one of my teachers giving a lesson where he intended to prove that all drivers should have been drinking before being allowed behind the wheel.
He showed that drink drivers tend to be VERY aware of what's going on around them (always on the lookout for the police), drove slower (sticking to limits so as not to draw attention of police) and statistics prove that in ONLY 2 out of every 10 accidents were the drivers drunk, meaning that 8 out of every 10 were stone cold sober, hence drunk drivers are better drivers.

Of course it's completely ridiculous, but incredibly people began to agree (he had a lot of lessons like this) but it shows that you need the COMPLETE data for the statistics to make any sense.

Let's say that the life expectancy is 70, but Tranmere side is only getting 60, what is the difference. Well let's look at the people ON the West Kirby side, a HUGE proliferation of retirement homes, care homes and retired folk, hence they have already reached, or are around the average expectancy (and we're talking averages here). On the Tranmere side you have a lot more younger people, (including the junkies, zombies etc), so you only need a few to die young to make a huge difference to the expectancy curve.

If you have 100 people all aged between 55 and 80, if the age spread is constant (4 people of each age) then even if the entire fifth of the younger population dies (the 20 people between 55 and 60), you are not shifting the curve a great deal as you still have 2 fifths ABOVE the expectancy rate to even out the dip.

However, if you have the same 100 people aged between 15 and 80 (.65 of a person at each age, I know I know but it makes the maths easier) then if you lose the entire fifth of the younger population (which this time is 13 people) you only have 6.5 people over the age of 70 to even it out, it doesn't, so the slew brings the number down.

Above this the maths gets complex, I get boring and people stop reading, but you get the general idea, you need ALL the data, not just the bits that fit what you are trying to prove.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by derekdwc
Give us jobs and crime in Tranmere will drop
I tend to agree with that.

I cannot see any correlation whatsoever. There is never any excuse for becoming a criminal rather than making an effort to find work! Crime may pay in the short term given the weak and soppy judges and magistrates who hand out thumps with kid gloves and criminals end up with community service which they just fail to turn up for. However, continuing along that road will end up with a long term job, the downside is that it will be in a big house where you don't get to go home at night (You do get 4 meals a day, fags and sky TV but no dog!!!to look after)you don't get to see your family, friends or drug dealers for many many years.

As for the silver spoons, does anybody know where to get them from?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by TheDr

Let's say that the life expectancy is 70, but Tranmere side is only getting 60, what is the difference. Well let's look at the people ON the West Kirby side, a HUGE proliferation of retirement homes, care homes and retired folk, hence they have already reached, or are around the average expectancy (and we're talking averages here)

The answer is simple. Work hard at school to learn everything on offer(Truancy means failure generally) pass all your exams and either go to Uni, get an apprenticeship or get the best job available to you given educational attainments. Turn up every day looking smart and ready for the day's work. Then work hard so that eventually you get promoted. Apothecate the money necessary to ensure a decent pension when you retire.

Now there is no difference as you will be able to afford to live in a better area and you can retire to one of the better retirement homes in West Kirby.

Last edited by nem12esis; 30th Jan 2014 4:16pm.
Smartchild
Smartchild
Planet earth calling!
A man was on radio Merseyside today he has eighteen young electricians looking for work experience. (No Takers) Another this week took note that there is a thousand plus jobs on Wirral.He said he could not believe how many Avon reps are wanted zero hour contracts and put your money up first jobs, are out there.
A lot of todays youth would love to work, the jobs are just not there.We the older generation should be ashamed of our legacy, not crowing about how well we have done out of making this mess.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Originally Posted by nem12esis

Apothecate the money

Apothecate!! Where the hell do you get THAT word from? It sounds as if a pharmacist is involved.
Oh and referring back to your previous post, do you really believe there are no drug dealers in prisons?

Carpe diem.
Newbeee
Newbeee
Apothecate is a made up word according to oxford dictionary.a man who pretends to be clever is afool

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
I suspect he meant hypothecate.

Carpe diem.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by chriskay
I suspect he meant hypothecate.

You are dead right, a senior moment for which I apologise.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by dustymclean
Planet earth calling!
A man was on radio Merseyside today he has eighteen young electricians looking for work experience. (No Takers) Another this week took note that there is a thousand plus jobs on Wirral.He said he could not believe how many Avon reps are wanted zero hour contracts and put your money up first jobs, are out there.
A lot of todays youth would love to work, the jobs are just not there.We the older generation should be ashamed of our legacy, not crowing about how well we have done out of making this mess.

Another answer, if you are good, ie followed my guidelines about learning and attending school etc. Start your own business.

Smartchild
Smartchild
Why would I want to start a business? I am a tax paying OAP, Who thinks the youth of today are getting a raw deal.
Your guide lines about learning and attending school, I would and did endorse with my own children.Starting your own business is as bleak as finding an employer,ask the thousands who are going bust each day.A question for you, Where did you get the money you risked starting up your own business.Keep your answer polite and within the Wiki Rules please.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am