A WIRRAL breast cancer survivor is playing a starring role in the national launch of this year’s Race For Life campaign.

Jean Mudie, from Bromborough, is one of ten ‘If I Can Do It…’ ambassadors chosen from across the UK to show that women everywhere are invited to take part.

To launch the campaign, mum-of-three Jean joined a team of celebrities and fellow ambassadors to create a live billboard advert, positioned in London’s Paternoster Square.
[img:right]http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/resources/images/837965/?type=display[/img]
Together, the women – who are cancer survivors or have a loved one who has been touched by the disease - recreated the iconic police line-up image from the cult film The Usual Suspects.

Called ‘The Unusual Suspects’, the image underlines that the 5k event is achievable for all women, who can complete the course in their own time as a walk, jog or run.

The famous faces in the unlikely group are TV presenter Lynda Bellingham, larger-than-life comedienne Amy Lamé, Casualty actress and breast cancer patient Rebekah Gibbs, ‘Green Goddess’ and breast and skin cancer survivor Diana Moran and Eastenders actress Laila Morse who plays Mo Harris.

Jean’s story will also appear on a special section of Cancer Research UK’s Race for Life website, which has been set up to highlight the campaign.

She said: “I hope that by sharing my experience and enthusiasm for Race for Life, I’ll motivate other women from Merseyside to enter and raise money to help beat cancer.”

The 60-year-old was diagnosed with breast cancer just weeks after registering to take part in Cancer Research UK’s Race for Life last year.

Jean, who has three grandchildren, had attended a routine mammogram during which a lump was discovered on her left breast. She underwent surgery just two weeks later in May and completed Race for Life just three weeks later.

Jean then faced five weeks of radiotherapy treatment which she completed in August.

She added: “I’d already signed up to take part in Race for Life when I was diagnosed with breast cancer following a routine mammogram last year.

“I could never have dreamt when I registered to take part that I would end-up being diagnosed with cancer myself.

“Even though I felt exhausted following the surgery, I was determined to complete the whole 5k course and felt inspired by the support and camaraderie of all the other women taking part.

“I’m looking forward to taking part in Race for Life once again this year and would urge every woman to sign-up for an event in their area because it is such an emotional experience and great fun at the same time.”

Jean will be taking part in Race for Life in Chester on Sunday, June 14.

Cancer Research UK hopes 680,000 women will take part in over 230 events nationwide.

Women are invited to enter Cancer Research UK’s Race for Life at www.raceforlife.org or by calling 0871 641 2282.