Welcome to WikiWirral, sharing is what we do best.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,280
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
12 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 7,886 guests, and 533 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 21st Mar 2024 9:27am
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Liverpool City Region has been approved to get an elected Mayor and devolved powers. I can't see how this can possibly work without Wirral completely losing its political identity.

Interesting that the BBC has called this "Merseyside" and not Liverpool City Region, I would feel a bit more comfortable with the Merseyside title. We are not part of Liverpool and even less so part of Liverpool City.

The final say is by all the councils voting on Thursday this week, I pray at least one council will realise what will become of this.

I think it appalling that there is no referendum on this occurring, we the people should have a say. We already have the ability to share services, what more can this amalgamation bring apart from more jobs for politicians and council officials?

BBC SOURCE
Liverpool Echo SOURCE

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Google Ads
Forum Master
Online Content
Forum Master
I agree, not happy with it. I hate how people out of the region already associate Wirral as a part of Liverpool.

I see Wirral being more of a cash cow for Liverpool and getting the crumbs. I've lived in Leigh where Wigan was the same, and the same with Manchester - Salford.

Forum Guide
Forum Guide
I have never liked the expression 'Liverpool City region'. I suppose they want Liverpool in the name for people elsewhere in the country and in the world; it might make it easier to locate the place, as more people might know Liverpool than Merseyside. However, it needs to work for the people who live here too. We may be able to see Liverpool city from Wirral, but that doesn't mean we feel a part of it. I wonder if people in Southport, Knowsley or Halton feel the same?

Forum Master
Online Content
Forum Master
Out of the frying pan into the fire, lets hope its not a Wirral burns fire.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
The whole affair is worrying. Liverpool have incorporated us (Wirral) for many years in a sneaky back door entrance, but this now means we (Wirral) will ultimately loose any benefits we did have from being outside from Liverpool.

They will have to have the skills to be able to make the right choices, as there will obviously be no more. They can't manage their affairs now, and change of Mayor, change of political party, different political councillors on either side of the fence. What mayhem could resolve and the £30 million a year will be gone in half the time. Liverpool always did spend over and above their budget but not much happens for change. It's a bad move particularly for residents of Wirral. Thin end of the wedge and residents should definitely have been consulted.
Merseyside were given heaps of it from European funding, Wirral didn't see much f it, and Liverpool are still moaning about not getting anything or being hard up.
One main wish is that Joe Anderson could speak properly for the position he holds, instead of like a scouse reject.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Wirral belongs in Cheshire. We were brought into Merseyside as part of a mad political empire.

See you in cyberspace!
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Every time there is an enlargement there is an increase in the levels of management. Remember when Birkenhead Corporation Transport was amalgamated to make Mersey Passenger Transport Executive. The head of Birkenhead Transport suddenly became 5th in the hierarchy. And look at the mess the local transport is in now. Woodside should've been the hub for the town not that crazy system by the market. The Ferries might still be operating as a big concern. We'll dip out again.

Birkenhead........ God's own Room 101.
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Capt_America
Wirral belongs in Cheshire. We were brought into Merseyside as part of a mad political empire.

Halton is still in Cheshire yet is included in LCR

Originally Posted by BandyCoot
Every time there is an enlargement there is an increase in the levels of management. Remember when Birkenhead Corporation Transport was amalgamated to make Mersey Passenger Transport Executive. The head of Birkenhead Transport suddenly became 5th in the hierarchy. And look at the mess the local transport is in now. Woodside should've been the hub for the town not that crazy system by the market. The Ferries might still be operating as a big concern. We'll dip out again.

Totally agree!

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

Newbeee
Newbeee
It's not surprising that people are unhappy at the plans but it's important to remember that the current proposals come from the Chancellor, George Osborne. As the BBC source makes clear not all the local councils are particularly keen - and that is the case in other areas, like Yorkshire, the N East and Midlands where similar proposals have been agreed or are under discussion. The problem for the big northern cities is that the government has cut their funding substantially and is pushing them to agree to the new city regions by offering some (limited) extra money. Also many people nowadays support the idea of devolving powers away from Westminster,at least in principle. It would be good to have a proper debate, particularly on the idea of having an elected mayor for the new region, but the Government has made clear that it isn't up for debate, and councils can't put the idea to a local referendum or the package doesn't go ahead.

By the way, it's a long time since we had anything to do with Cheshire. The existing local government structure, which created Wirral Metropolitan Borough council as a part of Merseyside, came into effect in 1974, over 40 years ago, as part of a restructuring of local government throughout England and Wales.

Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
It is going to be yet another blame passing exercise, the Regional Authority will be twisted into taking austerity measures and the government will not take the blame.

Business rates will be set by the Regional Authority, catch 22, they will want to increase them to fill the austerity holes and fund other projects BUT each area will have different business rates and the pressure will be on to reduce them to attract more businesses.

While the Regional Authority had to literally beg to get the elected mayor, without it they would be penalised by not being part of the Northern Powerhouse.

Government pulling the strings all the time but passing the blame to others.

Old Hand
Old Hand
Originally Posted by boblundell
By the way, it's a long time since we had anything to do with Cheshire. The existing local government structure, which created Wirral Metropolitan Borough council as a part of Merseyside, came into effect in 1974, over 40 years ago, as part of a restructuring of local government throughout England and Wales.

And one of Margaret Thatcher's finer decisions was the one to abolish the criminal enterprise that was Merseyside County Council.

My birth certificate states that I was born in "Wallasey, Cheshire". That's what it still is as far as I'm concerned.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Is there any great difference between this and what the function of North West Development Agency was ? I don't think so, other than being more localised .

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Pre-liminary details of a Meeting, next month:

'We’ve all read about DevoManc – and now DevoMersey. ‘Devolved’ powers and budgets (including health) for local councils. Surely that’s a good thing? Aren’t all our North West councils in favour?

Well, we say ‘devo’ is short for DevoDeception. And we fear it will end in DevoDevastation – including for the NHS.

How and why is this happening? To find out, to discuss the issues, to hear from the invited experts and politicians – and to decide how we might combat this menace, come to our:

EMERGENCY PUBLIC MEETING

FRIDAY 17TH DECEMBER

LIVERPOOL CITY CENTRE

6.00-8.00PM

The venue and speakers will be announced as soon as possible.

Yes, we know it’s the week before Christmas and traffic and shops and parking could be horrendous. But wouldn’t saving the NHS be the best Christmas present for our loved ones?

Forum Addict
Online Content
Forum Addict
One big Merseyside council seems quite a good idea to me. It should result in fewer councils and lower costs through economies of scale. It is ridiculous to pretend that Merseyside is not an economic entity and separate out Wirral from it.

I have been far from impressed with the vast sums of money spent on trying to rival Liverpool in things like the hopeless 'Hamilton Quarter' project. Liverpool seems likely to do well from the 'Northern power house' project, and it is ridiculous to want to be excluded from this.

Also, I think it makes a better case for eliminating tunnel fees. One could argue that it discriminates against Wirral compared with other Liverpool regions who are not compelled to pay charges to get to work or shop in the city centre.

Forum Master
Online Content
Forum Master
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
Woodside should've been the hub for the town not that crazy system by the market.

The problem is that you need the bus station near the town centre and the shops.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am