WikiWirral Online with you since 2003, fantastic.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,364
Posts1,033,327
Members14,584
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
6 members (2 invisible), 12,968 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,791
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Bunny, Stacey2007, PrimordialPoet, Rinchen, AGC12
14,584 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by tomstevens - 21st Apr 2010 4:53pm
The History of Wallasey Village
by PaulWirral - 1st Jul 2009 6:03pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
lincle 4
casper 4
Topic Replies
Wanted Gardener
by dodie - 24th Apr 2024 1:09pm
Plymyard House
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:49pm
Hi to everyone
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:39pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 2:58pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 2:36pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 19th Apr 2024 10:15am
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 17th Apr 2024 12:52pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
casper 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Why should they be asked to change to Christian, when this country is no longer a Christian nation, as the majority of people in this country are not Christian ? confused

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Google Ads
granny #961026 10th Sep 2015 12:48am
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by granny
Why should they be asked to change to Christian, when this country is no longer a Christian nation, as the majority of people in this country are not Christian ? confused

Atheist? If I was to be 'affliliated' to any religious group I would describe myself as a Spiritualist'- not sure where that fits in/ does not fit in with Christianity though? Not bothered, really. I believe in what I believe and that's enough for me.

Last edited by RUDEBOX; 10th Sep 2015 12:53am.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Yesterday Mr Juncker (the man, who couldn't run his own country , the smallest Sovereign state in Europe with a population of half a million) has decreed that all EU countries will take their quota of asylum seekers. Fine, he has also addressed the matter of asylum/refugees working as soon as they are registered....not so fine!

He must be living on a thin line of sanity/insanity if he thinks that any of them will be mentally capable of taking a job almost immediately, or even being able to communicate in the native tongue of these host countries. Let alone the availability of jobs in a Europe where everyone is bed hopping to get work.

Germany has stopped the trains between there and Denmark, they can't cope! Denmark has closed the motorway, they can't cope !
I laugh with sadness, as wonderful Mr Junker, Mrs Merkel and the rest of Europe left Greece and Italy and Hungary to deal with these problems for long enough, and cries of help fell on deaf ears.

So Greece opened the flood gates and released all these migrants ,what else could they do ? It could have been Greece's get back at Germany , and who would blame them ?

A 'United Europe' is how Mr Jean-Claude Juncker referred to the EU yesterday, but so far as I can see, he and Mrs Merkel have not really contributed to unification. Instead, virtually single handedly, they have created more rifts and are watching this disintegration.
I am quite sure many reading this would prefer to have a European President as head of state ,to dictate the paths we take, to override Prime Ministers and get rid of the Crown . Of course it could be any Nazi (Juncker was not, but his father in law was a Nazi).

The fall out from bad management could be horrendous for many, and to say we are all friends in Europe is plain and simply 21st century brain washing.

Let's take the quota of refugees and see how we go. Cameron has made a good decision that can always be built upon if necessary, but I think it is his intention to take people from the Yazidis tribe, and for that I for one am happy, as they have had a terrible ordeal.
Oh, they are also Christians, Casper.

Has anyone offered to take a refugee yet ?

Last edited by granny; 10th Sep 2015 7:04am.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Wiki Addict
Wiki Addict
Saw in the news that refugees have started to sail over in pure daylight.Piled into large dingies.
One boat was full of Afgan refugees

Old Hand
Old Hand
Under a heading asking whether or not this country should look after our own before considering spending whatever monies and facilities we have available on displaced persons from other parts of the word, Mersey Magazine offered the following:-
"In relation to how the UK should respond to the refugee crisis, David Cameron has given an official government response by saying this country is prepared to take in substantial numbers of people.

In a House of Commons statement, the prime minister said:

In doing so we will continue to show the world that this country is a country of extraordinary compassion, always standing up for our values and helping those in need. Britain will play it's part alongside our other European partners."

This morning Mersey Magazine has received a number of comments in relation to the needs of homeless and struggling people in this country, with many thousands having to depend on food banks to provide for their families

The question we have been asked is surely a valid one in relation to looking after own own first and then with whatever financial and accomodation resources are left doing whatever we can to help the refugees

Maybe someone in the House of Commons will pose that thought as research by our editorial staff over comments made on social networks seems to agree that it is a concern that money which can be found for this situation should be used first and foremost to care for our own people

It is worth noting that a person does not have to be roofless to qualify legally as being homeless. They may be in possession of accommodation which is not reasonably tenable for a person to occupy by virtue of its affordability, condition, location, if it is not available to all members of the household, or because an occupant is at risk of violence or threats of violence which are likely to be carried out.

A study by The Guardian newspaper in December 2013 revealed that close on 200,000 British people, including many who have served this country in armed conflicts, were in that category

The numbers have increased since then but at the moment the government is not giving out any official figures

As far as the need for food banks, the latest figures from the Trussell Trust show a 19% year-on-year increase in food bank use, demonstrating that hunger and poverty continue to affect large numbers of people in our country, including rising numbers of low-paid workers.

The trust’s 445 food banks distributed enough emergency food to feed almost 1.1 million people for three days in 2014-15 – up from 913,000 the previous year"
Is this a fair question?

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Yes, fair question but Merseyside nearly always look inwardly to their own problems, which in many circumstances is understandable. Militant generally like to flex their muscles,and it just gets boring.

However, Mr Cameron has also told us that £13 billion goes in overseas aid each year some of which helps some of those in refugee camps. That money comes out of a different budget, and with that in mind he has also stated that the money required for any refugees/asylum seekers coming to this country, will be financed out of the 'overseas aid budget'. So officially, this decision will not be costing the country any more.

Last edited by granny; 10th Sep 2015 1:45pm.

~Chief Seattle
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by organiser

As far as the need for food banks, the latest figures from the Trussell Trust show a 19% year-on-year increase in food bank use, demonstrating that hunger and poverty continue to affect large numbers of people in our country, including rising numbers of low-paid workers.

The trust’s 445 food banks distributed enough emergency food to feed almost 1.1 million people for three days in 2014-15 – up from 913,000 the previous year"
Is this a fair question?

So far as food banks are concerned, it tends to be the people who receive help from them (and others) would take this as their 'right'. Having said it before, it is not their 'right', it is provided by the public, many of them pensioners with compassion for those who are in need. Nothing is to be taken for granted, and those same people (or their mouth pieces) who have received the help from generous donations, are now begrudging the same compassion to be given to people from war torn countries. People who have lost everything, even family members being killed by ISIS.
This is one reason why I no longer give to food banks, money is better spent and more appreciated elsewhere.

~Chief Seattle
Forum Master
Forum Master
Talking about food banks I heard that people from posher parts of the country are having their food parcels delivered, because too embarrassing be seen at the food places. Incredible if true. I'm not too much into food banks neither, think most people get enough money to buy the basic rations in this country...

granny #961076 10th Sep 2015 3:16pm
Forum Master
Forum Master
Sorry granny but to all intents and purposes we are classed as a Christian country, my comment was made to try and provoke some response, what our members think, Cameron is making a big deal of how our nation is being charitable and how they wont see asylum seekers left in the wind and the great compassion they have for the less fortunate and how sorry they are for the deaths, this is from a government that presides over inequality, the sick and dying being forced to return to work 10,000 deaths as it stands, a rise in the numbers using food banks, child poverty at its highest since the war, people living on the streets, the old and sick dying because they cant afford the crippling fuel bills to heat their homes, take a look again Dave and tell us you have compassion, you cant look after your own countrymen how can you profess to look after refugees?

casper #961086 10th Sep 2015 4:47pm
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by casper
Sorry granny but to all intents and purposes we are classed as a Christian country, my comment was made to try and provoke some response, what our members think, Cameron is making a big deal of how our nation is being charitable and how they wont see asylum seekers left in the wind and the great compassion they have for the less fortunate and how sorry they are for the deaths, this is from a government that presides over inequality, the sick and dying being forced to return to work 10,000 deaths as it stands, a rise in the numbers using food banks, child poverty at its highest since the war, people living on the streets, the old and sick dying because they cant afford the crippling fuel bills to heat their homes, take a look again Dave and tell us you have compassion, you cant look after your own countrymen how can you profess to look after refugees?

Define the meaning of a Christian country, Casper. If not referring to the amount of Christian population, then it must be a country based on Christian values. From your post, with reference to Cameron, it would therefore seem we are not a Christian country.
How can it be recognised as a Christian country when to all intents and purposes, fewer believe in Christianity, the Church, Jesus and therefore the teachings of Jesus ? Every teaching in the Book has been obliterated so far as this country is concerned. e.g. Moral values, drunkenness, practising homosexuality, underage sex, abortions, thieving, lying, greed, self interest, judgement, hate, murder, gambling, violence, Islamophobia, Anti-semitic and much more.
Sorry Casper, but I don't believe it is any longer. It's strange that when it suits all those who have no beliefs, or even recognise the Queen in her capacity of her position and also as Supreme Governor of the Church in this country, they can change their position to suit the moment. wink

We are all guilty of wrong doings, but do we recognise it ?

No, we are not a Christian nation, we pretend we are, which is pretty abhorrent !

Redistribution of wealth is not JUSTICE, it is THEFT

Last edited by granny; 10th Sep 2015 5:02pm.

~Chief Seattle
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Just one more thing,,, If I remember rightly, only last week Cameron was not about to take any refugees anyway ! It would appear that pressure from the population of this country and particularly Labour MP's who threw the 'little boy on the beach' card at him that apparently changed his mind. So what is your point Casper ? Should the MPS's and SNP's not have made it an issue, or should he have stuck by his original plan and kept the people with your own view point and of this country happy ? (although it's not clear which is which any longer).

~Chief Seattle
Smartchild
Smartchild
I think most people reject the hypocrisy of the church /religion rather than the faith and traditions practiced by their particular cult.Most people of all religions in this country follow basic Christian values supported by our laws which have changed with the times.This is why robbers are able to wipe their own backside and we have a jury duty rather than a stoning duty.If religion is a blood stained prayer matt you can stick it!!I have never heard of anybody taking a lifejacket from their own to give to an unknown.

granny #961106 10th Sep 2015 6:53pm
Forum Master
Forum Master
Com'on granny your splitting hairs, we just pretend to be, I agree with you that's why I said to all intents and purposes, it is a label on the tin, I am not religious, like many others I believe in something an inner energy a power that is recycled? on my service records and ID discs my religion was defined as C of E so I suppose there must be many like me that have that on their records but don't practice, the other point I was making perhaps in a long winded roundabout way is that we should be looking after our own first, not very Christian I know, as you say Cameron was forced into it, its a pity he cant be forced into looking after his own country first

casper #961111 10th Sep 2015 7:34pm
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
No, not splitting hairs Casper, just trying to define where the people of this country actually stand.
Dusty has made the point that the church/religion is hypocritical and refers to it as a cult. A cult is socially deviant , and all those who follow the basic Christian values, must be cult followers.

Hypocrisy is paramount in both your posts, and yet the people can name the church/religion as hypocritical.
Answer me, what the basic values of Christianity are, and where did they originally come from and why we follow them, on a personal basis ?

Generally speaking most will fill in the census saying they are Christian, or whatever is asked, but they are not and that is why I question the moral of lies to suit a particular occasion which is not aligned with a so called Christian country and values.

More hypocrisy ! At the same time, not prepared to admit it.

So far as giving ones life jacket to someone you don't know, how would you know what selfless acts people do, even if you don't hear about them, Dusty ?

Well, I'm off out now. Have a nice evening.

~Chief Seattle
Smartchild
Smartchild
I know the Birkenhead drill and wonder how many non religious Hero,s stood and let the woman and children go first.Please read my post again (taking a lifejacket from their own) as in wife child, not giving their own as in selfless act.The vicar who conducted my marriage was locked up weeks later, PM for details if you question my honesty.The reason I use the word cult is to embrace as I said all religions and in my opinion religion is socially deviant some less than others.

Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Wanted Gardener
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
recommendation, please
Car paint jobs
For Sale & Free
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Wanted Gardener
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
recommendation, please
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
News : New Topics
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 4th Jan 2023 12:56am
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
Car paint jobs
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,587 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,884 Spotted!