WikiWirral is where great friendships are made.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,361
Posts1,033,316
Members14,581
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
6 members (2 invisible), 9,949 guests, and 413 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Rinchen, AGC12, Acorn, PaulRobson, meolswanderer
14,581 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 6:55pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
Topic Replies
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 19th Apr 2024 10:15am
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 17th Apr 2024 12:52pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by diggingdeeper - 14th Apr 2024 2:42pm
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 13th Apr 2024 3:35pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 10th Apr 2024 11:00pm
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Abakumss - 8th Apr 2024 9:04am
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
casper 4
Mark 4
granny 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by peodude
Can't afford to pay? Then you have to do litter picking for the day

Excellent!

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Google Ads
Newbeee
Newbeee
I live next to council offices. A few years ago they had a "bus stop" smoking area built in the grounds. It's still there but apparently they're not allowed to use it (no smoking on council property). So now the staff stand around outside the front door to smoke and frequently drop their cigarette butts on the ground - it's a complete mess there.

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Mr skeptic here.. I don't believe this story--yes maybe they have done a few people for littering. Governments make up stories to suit their own ends--in this case scare tactics
. They even admit it-- they lied on a form and it made people pay their council tax bills on time.

Now they admit lying about benefit:

Government department admits: We made up stories on our benefits leaflets
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/59...ork-and-Pensions-welfare-reforms-leaflet

maybe they would argue the end justifies the means

Wiki Master
Online Happy
Wiki Master
All very good points raised smile
Love the litter picking one.

My original point was if this is truly at "Litter" campaign then why is it not targeted to all kinds of littering. In my humble opinion its discriminating towards smokers because it brings in the revenue which from the £80,000 speaks volumes.

From the results they have 98% of the revenue from Cigarette related offences. Which is not balanced at all for a "Litter" campaign, its a Revenue Campaign or it would be called "Don't Drop your Butt" and giving fair warning to a smoker to be aware of the campaign. If the revenue was balanced you could say its a fair and honest campaign. But its not informed smokers of the new harsh fines being imposed under new littering rules.

I'm an ex smoker so i'm not fighting for the smoker but just how unfair and under had this comes across at.

Dog Fouling.
Its known that it has not be a successful campaign and prosecutions are minimal. Due to an expensive process. But while this was in place, i cant remember a smoker being fined for dropping a cigarette butt.

Shame on the Council in my opinion for this tactic and the revenue stream.
I've done more digging and follow me on this one if you would.
After a Quick Google Wirral Council Littering

Wirral Council Press Release Pages Click me
In summary the Notifications for the Public.

Litter louts will be hit with tougher fines from April 1 Click Me
With more than 10,000 tonnes of litter and fly tipping waste collected during 2013/ 14 and more than 2,000 flytipping incidents a year, it is imperative that we deal with this problem.
Ive never see 10,000 tones of Cigarette butts, so at first glance this is revenue again, as there are 2,000 flytipping incidents a year.

There is currently discount for prompt payment of FPN’s with the penalty being reduced by £25 if paid within 10 days. When the fine increases on April 1 this year, a reduction of £20 will be made if payment is made within 10 days.
So the Fines is increased (See below) and the early payment is less. Previously £75 - £25 = £50 Early Payment. Now £80 - £20 = £60 Early Payment. Fine goes up, and early payment goes down.

Originally Posted by Wirral Council
Litter louts will be hit with tougher fines from April 1
Posted 23 March 2015 - 5:55pm
From April 1, 2015, Wirral Council is increasing the fixed penalty notice fine for littering from £75 to £80.
Wonderful but failing to mention that the Early payment is reducing until you get to the bottom of the page.

So Far Nothing about Cigarette butts and the more balanced opinion of littering in my vue, Fly tipping alley ways etc

139 fined on first two days of dedicated litter patrol Click Me

Tackling litter, as well as associated issues such as fly-tipping and dog fouling, was one of the 20 pledges made by Council leader Phil Davies earlier this week and the introduction of this no-nonsense approach is a demonstration of this commitment.
No Cigarette butts mentioned. As there top priority !!

“Our aim is to patrol in an ‘intelligence led’ manner focusing our controls on identified litter hotspots
So if your reporting hot spots there following the money trail. But no mention of cigarettes again. . . .

And its not all bad, because after the councils announcements about tackling littering they post the following headline
Wirral parks are the best in the North West Click me

The Green Flag award winners are unveiled today and out of the 1,582 UK parks, cemeteries, universities, shopping centres and community gardens in the UK that were adjudged to have met the exacting standards required, 22 of them are in Wirral.
I'm so confused about what the council is actutally saying to us, we have the worst litter caused by smokers dropping cigarette butts or we have the best parks. . .

And Finally folks as my rant comes to a close lol
I have managed to find a page on the wirral councils web sie about cigarette butts. And the clarification is all too clear now as its on the same page on how to pay your fine !! Click me

You know we get letters from the council if there is an election or councillor change, but they don't choose to inform us of the £80 fine for the following

It is a crime to drop and leave any form of litter including:

fast food wrappers and packaging
chewing gum
cigarette butts and other smoking related products
flyers left on windscreens

** Flyers left on screens ?
Is that a flyer blowing off or someone putting a flyer on my car ??

O well its off my chest now ish. . . .

Attached Images
litter.jpg
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
What I find interesting is that carrier bags - which are supposed to be such a menace the gov. is soon going to force supermarkets to charge us 5p for them - are not mentioned anywhere here.

I think carrier bags are a fairly minor nuisance. There are far more squashed aluminium drinks cans or empty fizzy drinks bottles, as well as discarded food containers about than there are carrier bags.

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Thanks Mark--I also feel better for you getting that off your chest.

Would be interesting for some rich dude to take it to court to define "litter" as has been said what about the ash from the cigarette or cigar flicked on the floor. Think I read a solicitor said that putting a butt down the grid does not constitute littering.

Did someone mention about feeding the ducks-usually load of uneaten bread scattered around.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
As a slight counter to the butt vs fly tipping, I know of about 12 small sites that are frequent fly-tipping locations whereas I know miles and miles of roads that cigarette butts are dropped on regularly. It costs more to clean miles of streets on a regular basis than a small number of fly-tipping areas on an occasional basis.

Smokers drop butts more often than they (or other people) drop litter is a way of looking at the butt vs litter aspect.

Either way, the message is getting across, drop litter and you can (quite rightly) be fined.

The solution to the fast food waste problem is quite simple, make the fast-food places label all their wrapping and charge them for the amount that ends up on the street.

Despite McDonalds saying they regularly empty their bins and do their best, the number of times I find their bins full says otherwise. Having watched the staff at Rock Park, I don't think they are allowed to empty their bins unless they are full to the brim.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

Wiki Master
Online Happy
Wiki Master
I'm reading as this is a civil matter you do not have to give any details to the enforcement officer ? Like a Private parking ticket its civil. And when do you actually agree you accept the bylaw if there is no signage of fair warning.
I'm not sure if any of that above is fact or just fiction.

Its wide open now.

think is a bin man going to be fined £80 if the rubbish from the wagon blows or spills out ??

Is there an Exemption list.

This could go on and on. . ..

There was a comment on the globe website from a reader saying in there area, they watch the wardens ignoring people dropping litter and target the smokers as its easy money. . . .

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Its both Civil and Criminal, the criminal law allows a civil fixed penalty notice as an alternative, however if the recipient chooses not to pay the fpn then that is their choice.

Fixed Penalty Notices for littering (Environmental Protection Act 1990)

Under EPA S87 a person dropping litter can be subject to a criminal prosecution and fined up to £2,500.

Under EPA S88 if an authorised officer of a litter authority ( e.g. a local authority), witnesses someone committing an offence under section 87 he may give that person a notice giving him the opportunity of discharging any liability to conviction by payment of a fixed penalty.

If the FPN is not paid the offender would be prosecuted and, if found guilty, he would have to pay a fine and obtain a criminal record.

Newbeee
Newbeee
I'd love to know what percentage of these fines actually get paid.

Wiki Master
Online Happy
Wiki Master
Just incase you may think putting the ciggy butt down the gutter is ok !!

Be aware !!
£75 for putting cigarette stub down a GRID Click me

And obviously this now covers chewing gum.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
The Fag Police were on the prowl in the Cherry Tree carpark, just before. Leaning nonchalantly against the wall, watching me smoke. As I was finishing he hot- footed it over only to be disappointed as I stubbed it out in my Love Wirral Stub It pouch.

Wiki Master
Online Happy
Wiki Master
Obviously a huge litter problem that car park.
And a scene of outstanding beauty lol.

I would love to play slight of hand with them.

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Originally Posted by Mark
Obviously a huge litter problem that car park.
And a scene of outstanding beauty lol.

I would love to play slight of hand with them.

What usually works is if you start filming them --but not covertly like they do. More in their face or at least a respectable distance and post up on youtube.. Although it might be difficult if filming from the car park as its private property-

The value of videoing in this TV Licence Search
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QnFwLqCQ24

or excellent scam documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQeKy1v-R-I

Last edited by fish5133; 27th Aug 2015 12:26am.
Wiki Master
Online Happy
Wiki Master
I hope this Guy does appeal, the whole process stinks. If your caught speeding you can go on a speed awareness course. Education notices and fair warning. I hope this back fires on the council and common sense sees sense. Sinage, to say in this area. The now 95k in fines is targeting smokers regardless of what the council says.

Click me Source

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
recommendation, please
Car paint jobs
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 8:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 3:37pm
Member Spotlight
KevinFinity
KevinFinity
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
recommendation, please
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
Wirral waters
by casper - 2nd Apr 2024 11:32am
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 11:52am
News : New Topics
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 4th Jan 2023 12:56am
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Car paint jobs
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 9:04am
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,259 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,400 Spotted!