Welcome to WikiWirral, sharing is what we do best.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,360
Posts1,033,313
Members14,578
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
12 members (3 invisible), 9,897 guests, and 453 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
PaulRobson, meolswanderer, Firminafirm, YesterYearGenea, Luke121
14,578 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 6:55pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
Topic Replies
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by diggingdeeper - 14th Apr 2024 2:42pm
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 13th Apr 2024 3:35pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 10th Apr 2024 11:00pm
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Abakumss - 8th Apr 2024 9:04am
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by casper - 6th Apr 2024 9:09am
Wirral waters
by casper - 6th Apr 2024 9:07am
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by hootmeil - 4th Apr 2024 1:15pm
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
casper 4
Mark 4
granny 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#925495 3rd Feb 2015 8:17pm
RUDEBOX Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
http://act.goingtowork.org.uk/page/content/vote/

Voting matters more than you think: 5 facts you should know

It's a vicious circle: some people don't vote because politicians fail to offer them anything worth voting for. Politicians ignore them because they don't vote. But if reluctant voters make it to the ballot box, they may have more power than they think.

Interesting read, in my opinion anyway.

Google Ads
Wiki Guide
Wiki Guide
Yes, food for thought.....

Forum Guide
Forum Guide
It wasn't until 1928 that across-the-board voting rights were established for all women over the age of 21. My Dad was born when all women did not have the vote; it's not that long ago really. It winds me up that anyone wastes their vote, but particularly women. The linked article shows how the balance of political power could be changed if all the non-voters used their votes. Even if you wouldn't trust any politician as far as you could throw them, however affable they appear, don't just sit whingeing about how unfair it all is; vote for the least worst option that has some sort of political track record (i.e. not the Raving Loonies!) and see where things go from there.

Last edited by Greenwood; 4th Feb 2015 1:07pm.
Smartchild
Smartchild
No vote is wasted cast or not. The establishment know, the people who stopped voting stopped for a reason. "Explain how the balance of power would be changed". If tax is taken from you (including Vat)you are entitled to whine.Please do not take firewood rabbits or wild herbs from the woods, or metal detect on the beaches, do not forget your fishing rod licence and day pass, medieval mumbo jumbo from your rulers who think we still cant write X.The TUC sold the Miners and The Dockers out and have been taking the P since 1926 see the "History Of The Blue Union".NOW THAT IS A Rant!!

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Originally Posted by dustymclean
No vote is wasted cast or not. The establishment know, the people who stopped voting stopped for a reason. "Explain how the balance of power would be changed". If tax is taken from you (including Vat)you are entitled to whine.Please do not take firewood rabbits or wild herbs from the woods, or metal detect on the beaches, do not forget your fishing rod licence and day pass, medieval mumbo jumbo from your rulers who think we still cant write X.The TUC sold the Miners and The Dockers out and have been taking the P since 1926 see the "History Of The Blue Union".NOW THAT IS A Rant!!

Love the idea of a firewood rabbit.

Carpe diem.
Smartchild
Smartchild
You live and learn!,

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
everyone should vote

RUDEBOX Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
I shared a link on facebook for people to check whether they are registered to vote. I was surprised at how many people thought they were but were in fact not, myself and Plus included!!!!

See here: https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Info here: https://www.gov.uk/yourvotematters

Smartchild
Smartchild
Thanks Rudebox, followed the link and was amazed to find both myself and my OH were not listed either - sorted now.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
If people are not registered to vote, how do they get away with the annual form which is posted to us for the Electoral Register ? It's supposed to be a criminal offence if you don't complete the form. According to ....gov ; If youโ€™re asked to register and donโ€™t do so, your local Electoral Registration Office could fine you ยฃ80.
We get one each year to be updated if necessary. I think I'm talking about the right thing here.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by dustymclean
No vote is wasted cast or not. The establishment know, the people who stopped voting stopped for a reason.

That would be true if the politicians had an ounce of morality. Unfortunately the people that get to the top are greedy go-getting career minded "politicians".

A protest vote to a party is more likely to have an affect.

I am left wing but don't feel I can vote for the labour party as I don't trust them whatsoever (I'm sure there are many people like that).

There is no way I can vote Tory, Thatcher herself admitted that her basic philosophy failed because the rich were greedier than she thought they would be. She firmly believed that if the rich where given wealth they would become more philanthropic (like many Victorian wealthy did), however it did not happen and she very humbly regretted this in later years.

Vote UKIP? I voted UKIP in European, firstly as a principle that I believe we should not gradually become part of the United States of Germany (the Nazi's had a back up plan during WW2 that is if they didn't take Europe over by force they would take it over by diplomacy and that is exactly what is happening). Secondly as a protest vote against the other major parties. It certainly got the point across when basically UKIP won those elections. I also think that Farage has matured as a politician, however in such a short period of time is this maturity stable?

Liberals - I just don't understand what their philosophy is and they seem to have a lot of hidden agendas. Sorry, I am quite ignorant of this party, I've tried to see where they come from but just find contradictions.

Greens - I have joined the green party, I agree with their basic concepts but unfortunately I disagree with about 80% of their manifesto. They are too easily fooled into jumping on bandwagons.

Respect - George Galloway is probably the single politician that I respect the most. He doesn't just say what is wrong, he also comes up with the way it should be done or corrected. I've listened to hundreds of videos of his speeches and interviews, he makes a lot of sense. My only concern is the pro-Europe stance. I would resign from the greens and vote Respect if we have a candidate. In fact, I might join Respect regardless, they are undoubtedly the best party IMHO.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Smartchild
Smartchild
Yes Granny, I believe you are correct. I completed mine as usual yet following the link supplied was astonished to find that neither mine nor the OH were listed. Maybe its a case of waiting for databases to be added or combined but i'm glad I checked just in case - I never waste my vote. I believe most parties accept that if you do not vote then you are seen to think that things are good as they are. I will voting for the those that i believe are better than those that are left...it won't be the heartless snobs in power at the moment.

Last edited by GeeMeister; 4th Mar 2015 8:24pm.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Geemeister, if you have had electoral cards through the door before, then you must be on the register. Maybe it's just another Government cock-up, or maybe it's the way forward so they have your email ready for the online vote, which is intended to happen in the not too distant future.
I've had emails from the Tories asking for donations. Firstly, why would that ask me for donations ?? Secondly how did they get my email ?

Greens are definitely off the list for me. Haven't seen anything in this area which impressed me, and that silly woman needs her vocal chords unravelling. Bad throat my arse, wouldn't last long if that excuse was given in the 'House' every time she fumbled her way through the day.

So far we have had only the Tories canvassing at the door. Told him a few home truths....and for Cameron to refer to child abuse being on an 'industrial scale' seems a tactless, thoughtless, expression of disgust to me. Failing to see the most sensitive aspect. If you see what I mean.

The thought of Milliband leading the country makes me cringe, our status in the world would slide far below the parapet.

George Galloway's party would have us fighting in the allies.

Ukip will have us fighting in the streets

Lib/Dems ??? Is there anybody out there ?

So what's left ? I think the whole thing is going to be a fiasco and my notebook is full of bad marks against the lot of them. Therefore, it's a case of counting up who has the most or least. We all have a task on our hands, I think !

Last edited by granny; 4th Mar 2015 10:08pm.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
RUDEBOX Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Excerpt from facebook conversation with a mate who was fuming that she appeared not to be registered-

Me- .... did you ring the council up? What did they say? x
Yesterday at 17:27 ยท Like

Friend- Yes and we are on the list. I proved to the bloke while I was on the phone with him that if I put my details into this it would come up with I wasnt on the list.........sure enough it did! The chap I spoke to says this is only for registering if you arent registered! I asked him why the hell it was saying people were not registered then..........he had no answer to that.

RUDEBOX Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Ideally, for me TUSC or Left Unity but I do not think that they are established enough yet. frown

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Car paint jobs
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 8:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 3:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
Wirral waters
by casper - 2nd Apr 2024 11:32am
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 11:52am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 8:57pm
News : New Topics
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Car paint jobs
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 9:04am
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,118 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,115 Spotted!