Welcome to WikiWirral, sharing is what we do best.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,361
Posts1,033,316
Members14,581
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
6 members (2 invisible), 9,961 guests, and 414 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Rinchen, AGC12, Acorn, PaulRobson, meolswanderer
14,581 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 6:55pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
Topic Replies
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 19th Apr 2024 10:15am
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 17th Apr 2024 12:52pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by diggingdeeper - 14th Apr 2024 2:42pm
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 13th Apr 2024 3:35pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 10th Apr 2024 11:00pm
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Abakumss - 8th Apr 2024 9:04am
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
casper 4
Mark 4
granny 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Wise One
Wise One
what is the name of the book you have taken those pics from,looks like one that i would like to add to my collection.

Google Ads
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
The stream that ran down what is now Borough Road was called the Rubicon.

Smartchild
Smartchild
Pics are from a book called Birkenhead- A Pictorial History by Ian Boumphrey

Wise One
Wise One
oh thanks,have not got that one yet,i will look out for it.i have a few of ian's books,they are good arnt they,and he is a real nice guy.

I have a couple of comments on the original topic of the sewer overflow.

I remember that the manhole chambers around the top of Everest Rd / Victoria Park were amongst the deepest on Wirral - unfortunately I can't precisely recall the depths, but I think they are 15m+.

This whole area was modelled on a computer in the early 1990s which required an accurate idea of pipe sizes, manhole depths, catchment areas etc. The accuracy of the computer model was verified by collecting actual flow measurements in the various pipes during heavy rainfall, together with rain gauge information collected from several nearby roofs (one was on the Crosville Depot on New Chester Road).

The reason for the modelling was the design of a new "interceptor" sewer to carry flows from the end of St Paul's Road next to the roundabout and then south beneath the Rock Ferry / New Ferry bypass to the pumping station at The Dell. This scheme was called "Beaconsfield North Interceptor Sewer" and was part of the MEPAS (Mersey Estuary Pollution Alleviation Scheme) initiative to clean up the river Mersey.

Other schemes on the Wirral side (in chronological order) were Wallasey Interceptor Sewer, Green Lane IS (Birkenhead), and Beaconsfied South IS (which took flows down to Dock Road South in Bromborough).
As for Beaconsfield North, I can't remember what happened to the flows after they left The Dell pumping station (may have gone to Beaconsfield South outfall off the end of Dock Road South?). The outfalls at Tranmere and the Dell (extended to mean low water spring tides) were retained as overflows in case the system was 'beaten' during rain storms. I think all the drainage from the Rock Park frontage may have been picked up (previously it just went out part way across the foreshore to discharge)and taken via tunnel back to the main Interceptor Tunnel under the by-pass.

That was how the design was being progressed but I don't know what was finally actually constructed, but I suspect it wasn't too different.

Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
Originally Posted by MrG65

Other schemes on the Wirral side (in chronological order) were Wallasey Interceptor Sewer, Green Lane IS (Birkenhead), and Beaconsfied South IS (which took flows down to Dock Road South in Bromborough).
As for Beaconsfield North, I can't remember what happened to the flows after they left The Dell pumping station (may have gone to Beaconsfield South outfall off the end of Dock Road South?).

I Remember when Dock Road south was being done. They had all the new sewer pipes lined end to end on the grass next to the walk path. I used to walked the whole of dock road south inside the pipes on my way to primary school (Bromborough Pool). They also dug up a lot of the Park on Port causeway and stored all the new concrete pipes and sections (I got caught short and did a poo in one). It was a great alternative to our park with loads of hiding places.

Also at the same time they dug the biggest hole I ever saw in our field were we used to collect conca's just next to the Dock Road. It was very similar to the one that was dug at new Brighton a couple of years ago and I thinks the pipes lead to it.

The location and size of hole:
[Linked Image]

The new Brighton one
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I know this is maybe not connected but still loosely relevant to the overflow tunnels.

That chamber/hole down Dock Road South was for one (or maybe two) "Stormking" combined sewer overflow devices - designed to only allow forward a certain amount of flow and allow the rest to overflow.

Storm King Overflows

the site calls them "advanced hydrodynamic vortex separators" but it's really a glorified weir arrangement iirc.

The New Brighton hole was about 20m deep by 20 or 25m diameter and is basically an offline storage chamber for storm water to stop the Wallasey Interceptor Sewer getting overloaded - when the pumping station at New Brighton couldn't cope with flows entering it, the excess would dischare through the nearby outfall on the foreshore; now it goes to the new large storage chamber instead and reduces the number of spills on the foreshore. A sensor detects when there's enough capacity in the main tunnel under the promenade after the storm flows have gone, and the stored water from the new prom chamber is pumped back to the New Brighton Pumping Station and then from there along the prom (or rather in the pipe underneath it) eventually ending up at Scotts Field treatment works (I think).

Fancy defecating in a sewer pipe - other people have to use them too you know oshocked

Old Hand
Old Hand
According to a vid on you tube, some of the overflow floods underneath the palace funfair at New Brighton, its a good clip.

Last edited by aegean; 3rd Feb 2010 10:20pm.
Forum Veteran
OP Offline
Forum Veteran
I have a couple of comments on the original topic of the sewer overflow.

I remember that the manhole chambers around the top of Everest Rd / Victoria Park were amongst the deepest on Wirral - unfortunately I can't precisely recall the depths, but I think they are 15m+.

This whole area was modelled on a computer in the early 1990s which required an accurate idea of pipe sizes, manhole depths, catchment areas etc. The accuracy of the computer model was verified by collecting actual flow measurements in the various pipes during heavy rainfall, together with rain gauge information collected from several nearby roofs (one was on the Crosville Depot on New Chester Road).

The reason for the modelling was the design of a new "interceptor" sewer to carry flows from the end of St Paul's Road next to the roundabout and then south beneath the Rock Ferry / New Ferry bypass to the pumping station at The Dell. This scheme was called "Beaconsfield North Interceptor Sewer" and was part of the MEPAS (Mersey Estuary Pollution Alleviation Scheme) initiative to clean up the river Mersey.

As for Beaconsfield North, I can't remember what happened to the flows after they left The Dell pumping station (may have gone to Beaconsfield South outfall off the end of Dock Road South?). The outfalls at Tranmere and the Dell (extended to mean low water spring tides) were retained as overflows in case the system was 'beaten' during rain storms. I think all the drainage from the Rock Park frontage may have been picked up (previously it just went out part way across the foreshore to discharge)and taken via tunnel back to the main Interceptor Tunnel under the by-pass.

That was how the design was being progressed but I don't know what was finally actually constructed, but I suspect it wasn't too different.

It's good to have this extra info. According to the plans I've seen,(details in first post),the depth at the top of Victoria Park is 21 metres. It's unfortunate that the plans held by United Utilities don't give any details of the arrangement at Borough Rd. i.e. is the overflow taking all of the water which used to go down Borough Rd. or just the excess when the flow reaches a certain volume. In particular, we still don't know how the overflow was dug at the Borough Rd end. My suspicion is that it was started in what was waste ground next to the Rovers' ground, which is now car park.

Last edited by chriskay; 3rd Feb 2010 11:01pm.

Carpe diem.
Up until a few years ago I had access to A0 size linen original "OS" plans of Wirral from about 1900 on which had been inked in all sewer lines, pipe sizes, invert and cover levels etc. I could have looked at these and maybe given a more definitive response but I do seem to recall the bottom of Everest Road/Borough Road being important - there may have been a weir/overflow there with excess flows diverted towards the Mersey via the Everest Rd/Victoria Park/St.Pauls Road route (your first photo in your first post)- I remember someone going down that manhole and the safety rope on the harness nearly ran out (deeper than thought); unfortunately I can't recall precise details of the findings.

I used to have a nice coloured drawing on linen of a sewer vent along Borough Road (looked like a cast iron lamp column, but the top was open to the atmosphere) - I think some of the vents are still in-situ.

21 metres depth wouldn't surprise me, I thought I'd better under- rather than over-estimate the depth in my original post. I remember a flow monitor going in to that deep manhole to record storm flows - this of course resulted in one of the driest spells for a long time, and when it did rain all the equipment got washed away (and probably out under Tranmere Oil Terminal outfall).

Forum Veteran
OP Offline
Forum Veteran
Up until a few years ago I had access to A0 size linen original "OS" plans of Wirral from about 1900 on which had been inked in all sewer lines, pipe sizes, invert and cover levels etc. I could have looked at these and maybe given a more definitive response but I do seem to recall the bottom of Everest Road/Borough Road being important - there may have been a weir/overflow there with excess flows diverted towards the Mersey via the Everest Rd/Victoria Park/St.Pauls Road route (your first photo in your first post)- I remember someone going down that manhole and the safety rope on the harness nearly ran out (deeper than thought); unfortunately I can't recall precise details of the findings.

I used to have a nice coloured drawing on linen of a sewer vent along Borough Road (looked like a cast iron lamp column, but the top was open to the atmosphere) - I think some of the vents are still in-situ.

21 metres depth wouldn't surprise me, I thought I'd better under- rather than over-estimate the depth in my original post. I remember a flow monitor going in to that deep manhole to record storm flows - this of course resulted in one of the driest spells for a long time, and when it did rain all the equipment got washed away (and probably out under Tranmere Oil Terminal outfall).

Thanks for the extra info. Which manhole was it where the rope nearly ran out? Not Borough Rd. surely?
The reason I think the work may have started in what is now Rovers' car park is that it would have minimised disruption in Borough Rd. Also, the presence of the 2 quite tall banks of spoil there which several of us used to play on (1940's/50's). There are still quite a few of the tall vent pipes around, many in the Prenton area; there's a few pics in the thread Old Wirral Street Furniture. What a pity you haven't still got those original plans!

Carpe diem.
Originally Posted by chriskay
Which manhole was it where the rope nearly ran out? Not Borough Rd. surely?

Yes I think it was in Borough Road at the bottom of Everest Road - the thing was it was a straight drop, top to bottom, whereas the deeper ones (further up Everest Road and in the park) tend to have intermediate landings.

I know where the original plans went to, if I get a chance in the next couple of weeks I'll try and see if they're retrievable.

Forum Veteran
OP Offline
Forum Veteran

I know where the original plans went to, if I get a chance in the next couple of weeks I'll try and see if they're retrievable.

That would be great.

Carpe diem.
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
I believe that at the end of the bypass, the flow is normally diverted to a sump at the bottom of the dell, behind the car park. Three large pumps then pump it up New Ferry Road to the Beaconsfield sewage works.

I suspect where the original tunnel was intercepted - behind KFC - a weir will have been constructed so that excessive flows can go through the original tunnel. This flows through and under the oil terminal and runs under the jetty which runs out to where the tankers are discharged. At low tide, you can see the end of this tunnel from the river.

I can't recall where I saw this, but I think the tunnel intercepted the old borough road tunnel further down Borough roud. Somewhere about the junction of Parkside Road or even further down. (I have heard North Road mentioned as the interception point) From there it flows back under Borough road to Everest Road, where it follows the route described.

Sadly I can't offer any confirmation of this rather vague memory. Perhaps someone can confirm or deny it. There is a degree of plausibility in the story in that if you are going to build an overflow tunnel, it makes sense to catch as much flow as you can, and the further down Borough Rd you intercept the sewer, the better. From North road, the contribution from Singleton Avenue would also be included. The elevation at North road ia 5 metres lower thanthat at the Boroug rd/Everest Rd juction. This might explain why it is so deep at that point?

Last edited by Excoriator; 4th Jun 2014 1:17pm.
The roundabout at Victoria Park is always being dug up and massive steel erected in the middle, wonder if it has anything to do with this tunnel/overflow ?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
recommendation, please
Car paint jobs
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 8:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 3:37pm
Member Spotlight
KevinFinity
KevinFinity
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
recommendation, please
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
Wirral waters
by casper - 2nd Apr 2024 11:32am
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 11:52am
News : New Topics
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 4th Jan 2023 12:56am
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Car paint jobs
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 9:04am
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,259 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,401 Spotted!