Our Success is in our members who value our strength as a valued community.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,364
Posts1,033,327
Members14,584
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
14 members (3 invisible), 12,567 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,791
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Bunny, Stacey2007, PrimordialPoet, Rinchen, AGC12
14,584 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by tomstevens - 21st Apr 2010 4:53pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
lincle 4
Topic Replies
Wanted Gardener
by dodie - 24th Apr 2024 1:09pm
Plymyard House
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:49pm
Hi to everyone
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:39pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 2:58pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 2:36pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 19th Apr 2024 10:15am
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 17th Apr 2024 12:52pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
casper 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
casper 4
Mark 4
granny 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
RUDEBOX Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master

Last edited by Mark; 28th Jan 2014 9:18am. Reason: comments removed off topic.
Google Ads
Newbeee
Newbeee

Last edited by Mark; 28th Jan 2014 9:19am. Reason: comments removed off topic.
RUDEBOX Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master

Last edited by Mark; 28th Jan 2014 9:19am. Reason: comments removed off topic.
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Last edited by Mark; 28th Jan 2014 9:20am. Reason: comments removed off topic.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
This Topic has been reviewed and the off topic comments removed.
Keep this On Topic Please !

Personal Insults Will have accounts suspended.
Respect the opinions of others as we all share our own views on all subjects.

Please use the Notify Button If you feel you have been personally offended on the forums.

Admin

Last edited by Mark; 28th Jan 2014 9:23am.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by _Ste_

The worlds governed by idiots, nobody owns the world, far from it, people should be free to choose wherever they want to go.

No they shouldn't, why should we taxpayers have to pay for all these people who are, according to you, free to go wherever they want? Why should not members of a democracy be able to decide who lives in our country? Why should members not be able to decide who can be educated here, get health treatment here and benefit from the largesse of our taxpayers here?

Surely that is what is represented by the word 'democracy'.

Last edited by nem12esis; 28th Jan 2014 3:28pm.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Nemesis, don't you see that your point about a Democracy and our nationals being able to choose whether people subjected to torture from foreign lands are allowed into the U.K or not, would represent the UKIP ideals. In contrast, those who are not like minded and not in favour of UKIP are able to make their own democratic vote. So where does democracy begin and end ?

My last post in response to yours was more about your position on apathy towards these tragic situations, I did not pass opinion as to whether or not this particular person in question should be allowed to stay or not. It is not for us to make the judgement on another persons possible execution or torture, no matter where they come from.

We, as part of the human race have to show humility. Isn't that what our country is based on? We should let the powers that be in our democratic country, make the judgement and final decision on such issues?

Uganda have been putting people in front of firing squads for years , ' English Whites' particularly at one time. Note I said English, and not British and it is shame on the world democracies, for not intervening in a greater strength. That is no doubt why we (Europe) are faced with these problems today.

I don't know what the answer is, but neither does anyone else and so we should all be a little more tamed in our responses.

If you think about it, you too probably have mixed blood going back to one or more event of this country during our privileged reign and sovereignty over other nations, plus the Vikings, Gauls and Celts.

Last edited by granny; 28th Jan 2014 4:09pm.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by granny
Nemesis, don't you see that your point about a Democracy and our nationals being able to choose whether people subjected to torture from foreign lands are allowed into the U.K or not, would represent the UKIP ideals. In contrast, those who are not like minded and not in favour of UKIP are able to make their own democratic vote. So where does democracy begin and end ?

My last post in response to yours was more about your position on apathy towards these tragic situations, I did not pass opinion as to whether or not this particular person in question should be allowed to stay or not. It is not for us to make the judgement on another persons possible execution or torture, no matter where they come from.

We, as part of the human race have to show humility. Isn't that what our country is based on? We should let the powers that be in our democratic country, make the judgement and final decision on such issues?

Uganda have been putting people in front of firing squads for years , ' English Whites' particularly at one time. Note I said English, and not British and it is shame on the world democracies, for not intervening in a greater strength. That is no doubt why we (Europe) are faced with these problems today.

I don't know what the answer is, but neither does anyone else and so we should all be a little more tamed in our responses.

If you think about it, you too probably have mixed blood going back to one or more event of this country during our privileged reign and sovereignty over other nations, plus the Vikings, Gauls and Celts.

You have sadly missed the whole point about democracy. It is not for us to be democratic about what has happened, or in this case, what may or may not have happened, in another country. Democracy in the UK is about decision making here in the UK. Democracy here is not involved in any way in the politics of other countries, that is for them and them alone and certainly not any of our business.
The main reason of course is that we know very little about what is going on around the world, Tony Blair thought Iraq had weapons of mass destruction because he was told that was the case. Here we are told it is the case that lesbians are being tortured, but are they really, are we sure? Perhaps that is the excuse being given to help the cause of the lesbians who really want a 'free loader' existence in our country. We just don't know enough and never will so democracy at home is what is called for. Charity begins at home remember.
The colonial days are long gone and bringing that old chestnut up on a continual basis does snot help your cause.
If the lesbians are fearful of staying in their own country then let them go elsewhere like France or Germany, maybe even Iraq, Afghanistan or Iran rather than here. Oh! sorry I forgot, France and Germany would send them here or back home and the other countries would refuse them entry, we should not be the dustbin of the world taking in all those who are not permitted elsewhere.

In conclusion you are correct in thinking "It is not for us to make the judgement on another persons possible execution or torture, no matter where they come from."

I am only suggesting that democracy applies to making decisions about the lesbians' entry into the UK - decisions about their treatment in their own countries are none of our business. Interfering in the dealings of other countries has cost us many lives lost in fighting wars that have nothing to do with the 'defence of the realm' like Korea, Iraq, and Afghanistan.

So as our country is now full, the signs need to go up 'No more space for immigrants' we don't have the water, electricity, gas, houses, prison space, school places, or money to maintain their lifestyles.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
I don't know which Colonial days you are referring to that I bring up on a regular basis?

Uganda 1970's ,English Lecturer at University, put in front of firing squad twice, family had to do a midnight runner with 3 children, wife, and grandmother, leaving him behind . Left all belongings and animals , fled by rail in the middle of the night.
They had already had to escape from Kenya when the trouble and uprising with the Mau Mau.

So, not too far away in the distant dark past and they were lucky because they managed to get back to the UK.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I don't know which Colonial days you are referring to that I bring up on a regular basis?

Uganda 1970's ,English Lecturer at University, put in front of firing squad twice, family had to do a midnight runner with 3 children, wife, and grandmother, leaving him behind . Left all belongings and animals , fled by rail in the middle of the night.
They had already had to escape from Kenya when the trouble and uprising with the Mau Mau.

So, not too far away in the distant dark past and they were lucky because they managed to get back to the UK.

It is and always was risky traveling to such countries, so I am not surprised. I was in the MN and traveled too, but we always stayed away from danger areas. As a lecturer, I might be forgiven for thinking he had more sense than to expose his family to such conditions.

Old Hand
Old Hand
You mention democracy. The British people have always shown support of people in need, the country is kept going by volunteers.I have no doubt if we paraded this particular lady in Birkenhead, London Newcastle or anywhere else and said do you want this woman sent to back to a country that she has fled from in terror the majority of people would say ofcourse not.
Immigration policies are fine and important but this is a human rights issue.

Forum Veteran
Online Content
Forum Veteran
Whatever we say or do, I suspect it will all boil down to a decision made by our democratically elected (so I've heard)government.
Possibly an appeal to European Human Rights may help her

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by nem12esis

It is and always was risky traveling to such countries, so I am not surprised. I was in the MN and traveled too, but we always stayed away from danger areas. As a lecturer, I might be forgiven for thinking he had more sense than to expose his family to such conditions.

He worked and lived out there, sent by the British Government, not travelling around trying to avoid danger spots. It is where his children grew up.
His son eventually went back again to Africa with his Canadian born wife, she was raped by black and she fled back to Canada, never to return. He stayed.

Point being, that British involvement in these places took the rewards,took them so far and then abandoned the masses , still with their tribal values and life styles. Barbaric regimes that have come to power over the last decades, grew up with their tribal rituals, and we should have stayed out.
That's too late and if we reap the rewards of our actions today, it is not the fault of any lesbian or any other individual who is subjected to possible torture or death for reasons beyond their control. We have tried to Westernise these countries and it hasn't really worked.

~Chief Seattle
Smartchild
Smartchild
No such thing in human rights/ free world. Just a word, everything that we have is controlled by someone or somthink.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
We have tried to Westernise these countries and it hasn't really worked.

I rest my case, we should just keep out of other countries and their ways as it never ever helps anybody. This can be clearly be seen from the case you quote. Let them get on with things and we take care of our own in the UK.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Wanted Gardener
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
recommendation, please
Car paint jobs
For Sale & Free
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Wanted Gardener
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
recommendation, please
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
News : New Topics
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 4th Jan 2023 12:56am
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
Car paint jobs
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,537 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,826 Spotted!