WikiWirral is where great friendships are made.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,360
Posts1,033,313
Members14,578
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
14 members (3 invisible), 10,124 guests, and 449 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
PaulRobson, meolswanderer, Firminafirm, YesterYearGenea, Luke121
14,578 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 6:55pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
Topic Replies
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by diggingdeeper - 14th Apr 2024 2:42pm
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 13th Apr 2024 3:35pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 10th Apr 2024 11:00pm
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Abakumss - 8th Apr 2024 9:04am
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by casper - 6th Apr 2024 9:09am
Wirral waters
by casper - 6th Apr 2024 9:07am
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by hootmeil - 4th Apr 2024 1:15pm
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
casper 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
casper 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Snod: Wasn't ignoring your post, but I don't know anything about Buddhism and have just googled it.
It would seem that they do have a book of scriptures and also believe in an after-life.
From what you know can you add to that? Is it a philosophy as opposed to a religion or a way of living?

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Google Ads
Forum Veteran
Online Content
Forum Veteran
Originally Posted by granny
Derek DwC.

My first question( at the moment) would be:

Was Barabbas and Jesus mixed up ? Barabbas's name was Jesus Barabbas and 'Bar abba' means 'son of the father. Jesus in Hebrew was Yeshusa.
Barabbas was a terrorist trying to overthrow the Romans but Pilot saw no harm in Jesus and threw the decision to the crowds.
Pilots question:

"Thus, in a seemingly inconsequential legal decision that still quakes through the centuries, Pilate was in essence asking the Jerusalem crowd:

"Which one do you want me to release to you:
Yeshua son of the father or Yeshua son of the father,
whom his followers call Messiah?" "

Second question is : Jesus knew, all his followers at that time would more than certainly have been executed, did he go to his death as a martyr? Thus they suffered from guilt afterwards. Not that it had been pre destined
'He died that we might be saved' and 'he died for our sins'

Had a breakfast with a friend who is a reverend and asked your questions - sort of as I hadn't printed them.
1 He told me it was predicted in the Old Testament that Jesus would be betrayed by one of his followers and then crucified by nails (at that time the Romans crucified by tying on with rope) and that none of his bones would have been broken as was the usual thing in crucifying.
2 Several of the disciples have been executed

ps this may interest you and others, free bibles and dictionary of bible words etc
e-sword

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
What about Spiritualism? Philosophy or religion?

Old Hand
Old Hand
Maybe just maybe I lean towards what Buddhists believe....although I'm misanthropic So I don't respect all life....to me animals are pure and man isn't.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Snod: Wasn't ignoring your post, but I don't know anything about Buddhism and have just googled it.
It would seem that they do have a book of scriptures and also believe in an after-life.
From what you know can you add to that? Is it a philosophy as opposed to a religion or a way of living?

Granny, I am at the very, very start of trying to understand Buddhism. As such I have started by reading web links to "Buhhism for children", and some of it is very good. Much to my amazement I also found a Wirral Borough Council .pdf document that discusses a wide range of ethnic groups and religions.

www.wirral.gov.uk/downloads/2311

Put that in Google and have a read. The whole document is a bit disjointed (I guess it has been a cut & paste job) but I pulled out all the bits about Buddhism/ Thailand and put them into yet another document for my own education.

My personal take out of Buddhism is that it is not a religion in the accepted sense but is simply a way of life that has at the core an understanding that you are responsible for your own actions and that your actions will always have consequences. They can be good consequences if your actions/ motivations are good, and bad consequences if your actions/ motivations are bad. In that sense it is a philosophy I suppose. Buddhists believe that this life we lead is only one of a chain of lives. Being good in one means you can come back to a better life in the next one - and vice versa!

There are zillions of texts about Buddhism but they all stem from two (linked) sets of "Thoughts/ Teachings"

The 4 Noble Truths
1. Suffering is part of life
2. Suffering is due to selfishness
3. Suffering will cease if selfishness is retarded
4. The way to stop selfishness is to follow the 8 fold path.

"Suffering" can have many forms and many of the texts about Buddhism expand on that - with many differing opinions

The Eightfold Path
1. Accept the four noble truths.
2. Think in the right way which leads you to help others.
3. Be kind in speech, avoid boasting, gossip and lies.
4. Do what is right.
5. Earn your living in a way which is good.
6. Avoid evil thoughts and actions and work hard.
7. Learn to concentrate.
8. Be at peace in your mind.

It is difficult for anyone to object to 2. to 8. in that list, although achieving them is another matter. In Buddhism meditation is a way to help.

Those teachings originated from Prince Siddhartha Gautama in India some 400-500BC. He was a person, not a God of any sort, but he CARED about people and was a good teacher. He tried to teach a "middle way" between between the ways of sensual indulgence and severe asceticism such as were then (and often are now) the extremes of lifestyles. It is he who people refer to as Buddha - that name simply meaning "the awakened one or "the enlightened one"

There is no special ceremony to become a Buddhist. If a person believes the Buddha’s teaching to be right, he/she simply follows the 8-fold path in their life and then he/she is a Buddhist. The Buddhist tries never to harm other living things, consequently many are vegetarian and do not believe in war.

Children are expected to look after their parents in their old age, to work for the good of the family and to look after money. Buddhist monks look after each other.

Seems all ok to me and those Buddhists that I know seem to have an inner peace that I admire.

Snod

5 Precepts of Buddhism seem appropriate. Refrain from taking life. Refrain from taking that which is not given. Refrain from misconduct. Refrain from lying. Refrain from intoxicants which lead to loss of mindfulness
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Thanks Derek. The link is very useful. yes
Further to your reply about the Apostles and the terrible fates they had, it has never been easy to follow which one was which. The link below which I found, gives a good 'in a nutshell' description of each, how far they travelled, punishments and their deaths. If anyone is interested.
All I can think is that each one (as they were often on their own in their travels) had such true conviction. They could have easily denounced their Lord and saved their skins but they obviously didn't.

http://www.biblepath.com/apostles.html

Trying to answer two of you here. Memory has a short!

Snod: Buddhism is sounding very appealing, the way you describe and I think all these philosophies/religions seem to stem from the same basic rules and ideas. Praying and meditation are much the same really, just a different name and doing so, does release those negative energies that play with our minds, that in turn brings the inner peace.(I think so anyway)All the guides given in these texts are for our own well being. They are also very complicated to understand and follow, (for us novices), but that is what is so fascinating.
The only thing I can't necessarily go with on the Buddhism is their belief in 'continuous' afterlives. A chain of afterlives, must mean there is a pretty hard task ahead of each. Are we up to that??Maybe that's where the expression 'no rest for the wicked' comes from. laugh

Rude: I don't know if Spiritualism is a religion, or even when or where it began, but have just found this site, which I haven't really looked at yet.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/spiritualism/beliefs/beliefs_1.shtml
There might be better information somewhere. Do you call it a religion?, It obviously brings you some comfort.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Granny

In my previous post on this subject I stated the 4 Noble Truths each of which included the word "suffering". That word suffering has many interpretations as said and with a bit more reading I have come across an expansion that makes sense.

Basically, use the word ANXIETY

Thai people use the word dukka. Dukkha tends to refer to anxieties experienced in the course of living. If you set a goal and are experiencing difficulty attaining it, this can be dukkha. If you love someone and that person does not reciprocate, that may amount to dukkha. If you try and control your child and that child seeks his or her own way, this could become dukkha. Let us say, dukkha implies a gap. There is nothing wrong with goals and gaps (Buddhism has occasionally been criticized for making people lazy or lackluster; and this is simply not true). It is when a gap cannot be managed that one experiences dukkha.

The goal of Buddhism is to rid our lives of the effects of dukkha/ anxiety. Due to the nature of our physical and mental being, we are still vulnerable to “slings and arrows” of existence, but we do not have to let these things hurt us deeply. As the song says, “I get knocked down, but I get up again.”

Often the metaphor for progress in Buddhism is a path. If you are not able to attain your goal step by step you may become frustrated. Again, the gap is not the problem, it is how you perceive it and how you deal with it that matters most.

Maybe that helps.

Personally I do not have any problem accepting the idea of "re-birth", or that the re-birth may be as a similar, higher or lower life form depending on your previous life. It is not as if you remember anything about the previous life. THAT could be worrying! Buddhism (or at least some branches of it) include a period/ state between lives (called bardo in Tibetan). The teaching is that you CAN (if a real goody-goody in probably lots of lives) reach a state of nirvana where you have reached full enlightenment and where you remain with no more re-birth.

Agreed, all of that is a bit hard to follow - especially for a beginner.

Snod

5 Precepts of Buddhism seem appropriate. Refrain from taking life. Refrain from taking that which is not given. Refrain from misconduct. Refrain from lying. Refrain from intoxicants which lead to loss of mindfulness
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
You have really explained beautifully. It sounds to be a very peaceful way of life in harmony with all that surrounds us.
Obviously Buddhism has it's roots in Hinduism.

Do you get taught how to meditate, as I understand there are so many different types of meditation?

~Chief Seattle
Veteran
Veteran
You have really explained beautifully. It sounds to be a very peaceful way of life in harmony with all that surrounds us.

Reminds me a little of the principles of Reiki. Although a form of healing therapy rather than a religion, living by the Reiki principles is as good an approach to life as any. We should all endeavour to achieve a more balanced/harmonious way of being, preferably unimpeded by the constraints of religious dogma...

The Five Reiki Principles

BY DR.MIKAO USUI

I - Just for today, I will not be angry.

Anger at others or oneself or at the whole world, creates serious blockages in one's energy. It is the most complex inner enemy.

Reiki is an excellent tool to remove anger blockages which have accumulated in the body over years, but it cannot remove the residue of current anger which occurs daily.

Letting go of anger. brings Piece into the Mind.

II - Just for today, I will not worry.

While anger deals with past and present events, worry deals with future ones. Although worry is not always a negative phenomena, endless worries may fill one's head, and each one bores a small hole in one's body and soul. While anger requires a focused Reiki treatment to remove obstacles, worry requires the energy to be spread throughout the entire body.

Letting go of worry, brings healing into the Body.

III - Just for today, I will be grateful.

Be grateful from your hart inward. Inner intention is the important element in this principle. Simple things as thanks, forgiveness, smile, good words, gratitude can improve others life and make them happy.

Being thankful brings Joy into the Spirit.

IV - Just for today, I will do my work honestly.

Support yourself and your family respectably, without harming others. Earn a respectable living, live a life of honor.

Working Honestly brings Abundance into the Soul.

V- Just for today, I will be kind to every living thing.

Honor your parents, honor your teachers, honor your elders.

Being Kind brings Love into the Will.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Thought this might be of interest to some.

The Epic of Gilgamesh. Written between 2750 and 2500 BC and thought to be the oldest written story/poem on earth.

Gilgamesh was the fifth king of Uruk, modern day Iraq (Early Dynastic II, first dynasty of Uruk), placing his reign around 2500 BC.

Tablet XI relates to Noah and the building of an ark. Much information .
http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/mesopotamian/gilgamesh/tab11.htm

Below is website with readings of 10 more tables, if you have time to. smile I don't know what they are about yet.

http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/mesopotamian/gilgamesh/

A bit more about their discovery.

http://www.ancientworlds.net/aw/Article/789473

~Chief Seattle
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Granny, not ignoring your reply to my post either. Just thinking.... smile

Smartchild
Smartchild
Thought this might be of interest to some.

The Epic of Gilgamesh. Written between 2750 and 2500 BC and thought to be the oldest written story/poem on earth.

Gilgamesh was the fifth king of Uruk, modern day Iraq (Early Dynastic II, first dynasty of Uruk), placing his reign around 2500 BC.

Tablet XI relates to Noah and the building of an ark. Much information .
http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/mesopotamian/gilgamesh/tab11.htm

Below is website with readings of 10 more tables, if you have time to. smile I don't know what they are about yet.

http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/mesopotamian/gilgamesh/

A bit more about their discovery.

http://www.ancientworlds.net/aw/Article/789473

Great thread Granny x

Old Hand
Old Hand
The way I see it is if across the world we CONTINUE to be cruel to animals and negate their suffering, as Ghandi said, man is the evil and we don't need to have a pantomime figures of a good man in a white beard and a horned red faced man with a trident.
If you watch "earthlings" its about US not them, how much lack of empathy we have and humanity...
for animals the holocaust continues....mass slaughter is mans hidden shame.
If we can be like that to them, then how do we treat each other!?
We as a race have been at war with each other for various reasons/pick a reason for 95% of our existence.
Pretty stupid.
As you can tell I have a very low opinion of the human race, when you look around ultimately were obsessed by our own advancement and profit no matter what, we have an arrogant view of our selves.
When mother nature shows us we aren't, it puts us in our place.
That's why I don't "do " religion, good and evil starts and stops in each and every one of us.
All I do is apply the same rules to humans....people say "animals slaughter, its the circle of life " a classic...so I apply the same lack of empathy to wars, tsunamis, floods, death, cancers, poverty, illness, lack of care of the old etc etc
I just say "its the circle of life"

venice Offline OP
Forum Guardian
OP Offline
Forum Guardian
Originally Posted by svenlock68
The way I see it is if across the world we CONTINUE to be cruel to animals and negate their suffering, as Ghandi said, man is the evil and we don't need to have a pantomime figures of a good man in a white beard and a horned red faced man with a trident.
If you watch "earthlings" its about US not them, how much lack of empathy we have and humanity...
for animals the holocaust continues....mass slaughter is mans hidden shame.
If we can be like that to them, then how do we treat each other!?
We as a race have been at war with each other for various reasons/pick a reason for 95% of our existence.
Pretty stupid.
As you can tell I have a very low opinion of the human race, when you look around ultimately were obsessed by our own advancement and profit no matter what, we have an arrogant view of our selves.
When mother nature shows us we aren't, it puts us in our place.
That's why I don't "do " religion, good and evil starts and stops in each and every one of us.
All I do is apply the same rules to humans....people say "animals slaughter, its the circle of life " a classic...so I apply the same lack of empathy to wars, tsunamis, floods, death, cancers, poverty, illness, lack of care of the old etc etc
I just say "its the circle of life"

I agree with an awful lot of what you say svenlock, and I do definitely believe in Karma (where it means when you act badly, it comes back on you in some way) but I cant see where you are coming from in your last 'circle of life' paragraph. Im with you in being frustrated when people treat animal cruelty as a fact of life that should be accepted, but why would you react in a tit for tat way and be like that over humans when you are capable of such enlightened noble thoughts over animals? To me it just seems you are being just like the people you criticize , but over a different species. ALL species of animals have nasty traits including the furriest , but all IMO deserve the same respect as a species. (not necessarily as individuals )

You may say you dont have empathy with human suffering, and maybe you dont when you see it from afar, but I dont believe when it came down to it close up, you would shut your heart-- I think its just bitterness speaking because you cant change people enough to make the world a better place for other species, and that I do understand.

Last edited by venice; 14th Jan 2014 11:30am.
Old Hand
Old Hand
I see your point but animals kill each other yes (usually only what they need) but we kill EVERYTHING we can, and then create a machine to process their death and speed it up on mass....so therefore they just are de based to being part of the process itself.
Isn't that what hitler did with the jews??
As ive said on here before im a defined misanthropic , and I find "modern people" like sheep and just consumers. if you really look at it deep, mans existence is meaningless....youre born ,consume, get raped of your money, get fat old, then return to a baby and die with nothing left really except experiences .
As they say, dying is part of living.
We think were the big cheese but we have as much impact as a gnat on a cows ass.
All you can do in life is experience it and survive, just like the animals we look down on.
Not many people I meet impress me with their uniqueness or originality or depth of thinking.

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Car paint jobs
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 8:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 3:37pm
Member Spotlight
TheComputerLab
TheComputerLab
Wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
Wirral waters
by casper - 2nd Apr 2024 11:32am
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 11:52am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 8:57pm
News : New Topics
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Car paint jobs
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 9:04am
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,113 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,103 Spotted!