WikiWirral its great, register, enjoy and welcome.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,280
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
12 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 7,899 guests, and 667 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 21st Mar 2024 9:27am
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Newbeee
Newbeee
Great thanks for the replies I think I will sign up it will save me some money as I work five days a week in Liverpool.

Google Ads
Wise One
Wise One
Originally Posted by beehive
If your like me and travel to work every day by tunnel then it adds up over the month. a measly 30p but your the one who crys about a measly 20p rise. maybe you should consider a bike.If your that worried about a measly 20p rise. The ones that travel once a year to Liverpool seem to be the ones that cry about a measly 20p rise.

The council waste far more money.

Thanks have a great day smile

May be a measly 20p but add that to the measly 11% the utilities companies have put up prices, add the cost of train travel that is going up again, add the rise in Council tax that will be due in April and add whatever percentage that United Utilities will put on the bill next year and whatever all other companies that have us by the short and curlies are going to add, then to put it into perspective, ask why many of us have had our wages frozen for three years or more? This Government love people like you who don't question or fight. I'm not signing btw because it does no good. Better for everyone to write to their MP or better still, stand for election to the local council as an independent and vote against. Rioting works although I am in no way advocating such a measure!

Forum Master
Online Content
Forum Master
How come locals in Halton get 300 free trips across their new toll bridges yet we have to pay to use our local toll?

Smartchild
Smartchild
Originally Posted by Helles
Originally Posted by beehive
If your like me and travel to work every day by tunnel then it adds up over the month. a measly 30p but your the one who crys about a measly 20p rise. maybe you should consider a bike.If your that worried about a measly 20p rise. The ones that travel once a year to Liverpool seem to be the ones that cry about a measly 20p rise.

The council waste far more money.

Thanks have a great day smile

May be a measly 20p but add that to the measly 11% the utilities companies have put up prices, add the cost of train travel that is going up again, add the rise in Council tax that will be due in April and add whatever percentage that United Utilities will put on the bill next year and whatever all other companies that have us by the short and curlies are going to add, then to put it into perspective, ask why many of us have had our wages frozen for three years or more? This Government love people like you who don't question or fight. I'm not signing btw because it does no good. Better for everyone to write to their MP or better still, stand for election to the local council as an independent and vote against. Rioting works although I am in no way advocating such a measure!

Utter nonsense. Not even going answer. .

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gibbo
How come locals in Halton get 300 free trips across their new toll bridges yet we have to pay to use our local toll?

As I understand it, both the original Silver Jubilee Bridge and the new Mersey Gateway will be tolled at £2 and the plan is for the Mersey Tunnels to also be £2 per trip by 2017.

Irritating for some but my hope is that it encourages people to use public transport. It's been a while since I used the train but isn't it cheaper than £4 for a return to Liverpool from most of Wirral line?

This will ease congestion in and around the tunnels and their approaches and I'll get to work quicker!

I bet the majority of people who drive to Liverpool on a daily basis have no requirement for their car during the day. If using the tunnels is a requirement of your job then your company should be allowing you to claim it back anyway.

Mine do.

Forum Master
Online Content
Forum Master
Originally Posted by Emeeh
As I understand it, both the original Silver Jubilee Bridge and the new Mersey Gateway will be tolled at £2 and the plan is for the Mersey Tunnels to also be £2 per trip by 2017.

The local user discount scheme will give eligible Halton residents 25 free one-way trips a month – up to 300 trips a year – across the two bridges.

http://www.merseygateway.co.uk/im-a-halton-resident/

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

but isn't it cheaper than £4 for a return to Liverpool from most of Wirral line?

Yes, as long as you travel from no further than Meols, but that's only part of the story. Suppose your journey is 10 miles each way. That's going to cost you at least half a gallon of petrol, say, £3 plus the standing costs of your car; tax and insurance and wear and tear. It's much cheaper by train but maybe not as convenient.

Carpe diem.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gibbo

The local user discount scheme will give eligible Halton residents 25 free one-way trips a month – up to 300 trips a year – across the two bridges.

http://www.merseygateway.co.uk/im-a-halton-resident/

I suppose people from the likes of Wallasey should feel pretty badly done to then with the tunnel. I didn't know that, thanks for sharing.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by chriskay

but isn't it cheaper than £4 for a return to Liverpool from most of Wirral line?

Yes, as long as you travel from no further than Meols, but that's only part of the story. Suppose your journey is 10 miles each way. That's going to cost you at least half a gallon of petrol, say, £3 plus the standing costs of your car; tax and insurance and wear and tear. It's much cheaper by train but maybe not as convenient.

More convenience = more money.

Can't afford it = get the train.

I definitely think it will be good for public transport, congestion etc.

Signed.

It should be remembered that not everyone using the tunnels is going to Liverpool City Centre. I drive to Lancashire each day so (while I prefer Merseyrail when going shopping etc.) it isn't much use for my commute. There is no realistic alternative.

I really believe Merseytravel/Tunnels need to be investigated into the way they handle their finances. I find it hard to believe that after all these years the debt *still* hasn't been paid off. While at the same time they seem to be able to afford planters, rumble strips, electronic name signs, new police cars etc. It seems they'd sooner throw money at anything other than paying the debt off.

BTW, where has this toll increase been reported? I can't find any mention of it on any of the local news websites.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by stu6278

BTW, where has this toll increase been reported? I can't find any mention of it on any of the local news websites.
Good point - I had a quick search and also couldn't find any mention of an increase except on Esther McVey's website (where she'd got it wrong anyway, saying that the class toll is CURRENTLY £1.80 and wouldn't be changing).

However what she's actually talking about is the maximum that Merseytravel COULD legally increase it to. A decision regarding what the actual increase will be won't be made until February 2014. So the petition is still very important to make sure Merseytravel are aware of the strength of feeling against the increase

eta - this has just gone live on the Globe website

Last edited by Cobby; 30th Dec 2013 11:39am.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Signed Shaun, and well done to you, for trying to motivate people. Not many would these days.

I still don't understand how money from different scources seems to end up in one big pot, for the benefit of all. That was never the way accounts and book keeping were handled. Maybe that is why these places are in difficulties. They have been robbing Peter to pay Paul. Do they put 'bus money' into the tunnels? What happens if the tunnels need massive work done, who will now pay for that, when the time comes?
Please correct me if I'm wrong, because I would like to know.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
P
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
P
Signed. Although I only use the tunnel a few times a year whilst on visits "home", I thinks it's important to give an additional "thump on the desk" against any increase. Better still to thump the suits behind the desk, but.....

It's high time all river crossings in England where made part of the national road network and scrapping all tolls. This happened a while back in Haggisville - for which I'm truly grateful!

I've a feeling in my water that no amount of petitioning will stop the increases (if/when they come), but as sure as Hell, we shouldn't just roll over, have out tummies tickled and give up!

Just my 2d's worth.

Smartchild
Smartchild
Signed, although I doubt it will make any difference.

I wonder if London would put up with tolls on all the bridges they have over the Thames.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Headcoat_TheMrs
Signed, although I doubt it will make any difference.

I wonder if London would put up with tolls on all the bridges they have over the Thames.

They do pay tolls at Dartford tunnel and others. plus they pay daily congestion charges if they enter the city. It was
5 pounds a day. Maybe that could be a better option for Liverpool. Then all who enter the city centre would contribute. They wouldn't like that though, would they?

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am