Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,361
Posts1,033,315
Members14,578
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
5 members (2 invisible), 9,796 guests, and 397 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
PaulRobson, meolswanderer, Firminafirm, YesterYearGenea, Luke121
14,578 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 6:55pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
Topic Replies
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 17th Apr 2024 12:52pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by diggingdeeper - 14th Apr 2024 2:42pm
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 13th Apr 2024 3:35pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 10th Apr 2024 11:00pm
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Abakumss - 8th Apr 2024 9:04am
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by casper - 6th Apr 2024 9:09am
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
casper 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
casper 4
Mark 4
granny 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Old Hand
Old Hand
You would have to ask them why they dont put themselves forward, i just know that i know it to be true.

Google Ads
Without wanting to take anything away from you... Surely you must have some amount of scepticism regardless of whatever they said? A subjective memory, being manipulated or pretty much anything else surely seems more probable than supernatural powers? Again I'm not aiming to offend. I'm genuinely interested in this subject and could talk about it all day.

Last edited by PunchIt; 1st Oct 2013 3:21pm.
Old Hand
Old Hand
me too, but not type haha, i am the biggest sceptic going. i go mad at friends who visit people who i know to be frauds, one friend of mine swore stuart in moreton was genuine as he knew the colour of her door, !! i had to point out to her that his mum lived about 200yds away from her and still she isnt sure lol, i wish i could go into detail about how i know but i cant, at least not on here, maybe one day we could meet for a cuppah in town and i will tell you some of the reasons why i know life after death exists, and i dont mind people not beleiving, cos if its never happened to you then you wont,

Wise One
Wise One
Keep an open mind! No one knows and no one will know until the inevitable happens.

I do know ghosts or spirits exist because I have seen one which was also seen on a regular basis by my brother although he never told me about it until later years.

Whether or not you can contact the dead is another thing but although it sounds silly, my sister went to a medium once and she was told my late mother says to put horse manure on the rose she took from her garden. That is exactly the sort of thing she would have said and one has to wonder why a "medium" would come out with such a useless if not bizzare bit of information rather than the usual "They are at peace and say to stop mourning me" stuff?

One last point, Billions of people believe you can contact the dead. They go to Churches, Mosques, and Temples etc and talk to the dead. It's called praying! confused

Again everything you said can be explained through more rational explanations than the supernatural. Until these things are proven under scientific conditions even being a shear coincidence is more logical.

As for people preying... well I don't understand that either. I don't know how anybody can accept a religion without proof for the same reasons that I'm curious about people believing in mediums.

I can't comment on your story although I will point out that you're passing it on second hand. This is something that's happened to your sister... So again even for you it's not conclusive and sound proof.

However in all cases I'm completely open minded to the possibilities. But the burden of proof is on those making the bold claims. In the case of every single psychic, if they are genuine they should make themselves known, have their gifts proven and start teaching us everything. Until that happens I have to question why somebody with these abilities would be content in passing on vague or meaningless messages instead of making an actual difference on a larger scale.

Forum Master
Forum Master
What I do, or do not, believe doesn't matter.

Religion is a FAITH, it cannot either be proven or disproven with 100% accuracy, which is why it called faith. If we all knew it to be true, their would be no need for us to show a belief, it would simply be a fact.

A close relative of mine is heavily into spiritualism. I'm not knocking it but there are a lot of charlatans out there who prey on the weak, vulnerable and emotionally scarred. When we were talking about it one day I said that I could show how fake some people were by doing exactly the same as they did without any of the mystique. We met up with a friend of theirs that I'd never met before, and I gave them a "reading". Basically, I just cold read them, watched for reactions as I spoke and threw in a few Barnum statements, all of which, of course was nothing more than observational. Their response - "well they'd always known that I was a bit psychic.."

Belief, when it is strong, is pretty much unshakeable. When religion is hard-wired in from an early age you're never really going to break it, it's just part of who you are.

The discussion on the existence of ghosts has raged for centuries, libraries are full of books on the subject, academics state that there is always a perfectly reasonable explanation, even if we don't know what it is yet, and others give their firsthand experiences of encounters with spiritual presences.

One fake does not disprove every other.
But one absolute proof will change the world.

Veteran
Veteran
According to some sources, it may only be a matter of time before science does provide evidence for survival of consciousness after physical death.

Make of it what you will... http://www.near-death.com/evidence.html

Veteran
Veteran
Interestingly, Natalie doesn't actually say why she wants to find a local psychic. If it's purely for advice concerning the future, then perhaps all this talk about faith and belief is irrelevant.

The idea that time isn't as linear or sequential as we like to think doesn't require a belief in ghosts or God, just an open mind to life's infinite possibilities.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Some seem to have a different idea about religion. I assume their assumptions are being based on Christianity ? There are thousands of different religions and many are a 'discipline'to be followed,and to explain the meaning of life, to learn how to behave towards others and the history of the ancient civilisations.
I expect many would approve of meditation....do you not think that meditation and prayer, could be slightly similar?
There are 613 commandments in the Torah, Christianity seemed to shrink it to 10, most of which are of no concern to many, but they are the guidlines on which our foundations are built. It is a discipline or way of living. Some seem to think that those who follow a religion are religious....that is not necessarily so.Being religious is a very tough thing to be part of and not for the weak. 'Religion' imo, does not mean those with a faith expect miracles and visions and peculiar happenings, it means they follow a code of living ,believing there is a superior force/being and an after-life. I don't think anyone should be ridiculed for that, or told it is all e.g.hocus pocus. Those types of remarks are not a very educated response.
Others do have experiences of supernatural forces, and for those who say these things need to be proven, I say to you.. disprove them first!

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Originally Posted by granny

Others do have experiences of supernatural forces, and for those who say these things need to be proven, I say to you.. disprove them first!

The above sentence is what every 'discussion' between believers and non believers , boils down to in the end. Neither can disprove the others positive or negative experiences , so each should feel content at the end of it that they have held their corner.

Personally, I have an open mind on religion and the 'hereafter'. Ive had odd experiences in the past which have made me stray for a moment from my natural sceptical position , the most recent being after a close relative died ,and I was told that seeing small white down feathers was a sign that the deceased person was 'near' you. I did see such feathers at seemingly strategic times, but then I remembered it was bird nesting time, so not unusual and I was probably tuned in to suddenly noticing them because of what Id been told. However, I did think twice the following day when I found one in the bath in my relatives empty closed up house when I went to do a check. Not convinced by any stretch but it did feel a bit unusual.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Venice , to me,white feathers are not related to religion, religious experience or the after-life. I too have seen them at certain times, and the belief or for a better word 'superstition' is nice to cling onto.

Why is it that everyone looks for a 'sign', to believe or follow in something?
Surely the belief must come from within? That's when we can feel complete and at peace. No point for some to pass judgement against a sense of belonging, that can help so many people !!

If we had the visible proof, how many would believe it and for how long? It would be explained by those who think they know better , as they do now.

Last edited by granny; 3rd Oct 2013 9:53am.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
The 'signs ' are just a back up that people use to re-affirm their 'faith' I reckon.
I agree people shouldnt pass judgement - thats why I say because its not provable either way, folk should just feel content with their own views.
Shame thats not the case across the world, differences in religious beliefs cause so much trouble.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Gwen Harrison - Wallasey

Old Hand
Old Hand
Gwen is another one who does really good readings for folk she has known for years (oddly enough) and vague ones for folk she doesnt know, I have a friend who has been going to see her for years and i have never heard her tell me anything she got from her that would suggest a psychic ability, i went to see her myself and heard a load of `could be anyone` rubbish,

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
recommendation, please
Car paint jobs
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 8:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 3:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
recommendation, please
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
Wirral waters
by casper - 2nd Apr 2024 11:32am
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 11:52am
News : New Topics
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Car paint jobs
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 9:04am
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,180 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,230 Spotted!