WikiWirral its great, register, enjoy and welcome.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,361
Posts1,033,316
Members14,581
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
6 members (2 invisible), 9,949 guests, and 413 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Rinchen, AGC12, Acorn, PaulRobson, meolswanderer
14,581 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 6:55pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
Topic Replies
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 19th Apr 2024 10:15am
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 17th Apr 2024 12:52pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by diggingdeeper - 14th Apr 2024 2:42pm
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 13th Apr 2024 3:35pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 10th Apr 2024 11:00pm
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Abakumss - 8th Apr 2024 9:04am
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
casper 4
Mark 4
granny 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Dodgy_Bob
[quote=granny][quote=Dodgy_Bob], He was being obstructive, surely we've all seen road wars, street crime uk, night cops etc on tv and seen how a officer simply attempting to interact with a member of the public, for whatever reason, can quickly and totally needlessly escalate to the person being forcibly restrained almost always because they began being arsy with the officer and refusing to answer the simplest of questions then it all spirals out of control!
And all very well looking at the possible bad picture? Its not just possible it's happened time and time again throughout the country, and people would be the first to hold the police to account if had happened when it could have been averted!

Dodgy Bobby,The street crime and road wars programmmes are made for entertainment! Of course the best bits are edited for production and of course, they always seem to have a camera there. Wake up ! According to your post, everyone is a suspect until proven innocent, in my opinion 99.9% of the British public are honest decent folk. That is were we are wrong in this country, for example, thinking that every muslim is a terrorist. shocked
I feel sorry for the police in the fact that their whole life must be suspecting people, even their own family and friends. Very similar to how the USSR used to operate, and still do. Friends , family ,neighbours etc were always suspects under Kremlin law and still are.Doesn't give much chance to any other poor, unsuspecting soul, does it?
Maybe you would prefer a police state!

Our forces are not particularly bothered about attending any reported burgularies in any great hurry, are they?

Last edited by granny; 28th Sep 2013 8:32am.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Google Ads
fish5133 #828249 29th Sep 2013 12:02am
Forum Guardian
OP Offline
Forum Guardian
Interesting reading the different replies and thanks for some of your concerns. I dont think the actual stopping and being asked questions is/was a problem. It was the total over reaction of a police officer to use violence and force in a situation that did not warrant it. I can only see that this was to intimidate and perhaps provoke a reaction from my son. I will be asking my son to consider making a formal complaint if only to mark the collar of this particular officer--who may have a problem.

I understand the "roadside lawyer" comments but my son did tell them his degree was not in law !.

granny #828260 29th Sep 2013 12:31am
Originally Posted by fish5133
Interesting reading the different replies and thanks for some of your concerns. I dont think the actual stopping and being asked questions is/was a problem. It was the total over reaction of a police officer to use violence and force in a situation that did not warrant it. I can only see that this was to intimidate and perhaps provoke a reaction from my son. I will be asking my son to consider making a formal complaint if only to mark the collar of this particular officer--who may have a problem.

I understand the "roadside lawyer" comments but my son did tell them his degree was not in law !.

Like a officer cares what someone's degree is?!?! It's irrelevant! So what a person has a degree? Why does that make them any better / any worse than any possible suspect? Violence or reasonable restraint? As a parent it's a given to choose your child's word over anyone else but given that your child has the intelligence to attend and graduate from university, they therefore must have have the intelligence to comprehend common law, refusal to identify ones self to a officer or judge invites suspicion worthy of investigation which if obstructed will lead to further intervention (including physical restraint if deemed nessacery), hence my streetside lawyer insinuation.

Originally Posted by granny
Originally Posted by Dodgy_Bob
[quote=granny][quote=Dodgy_Bob], He was being obstructive, surely we've all seen road wars, street crime uk, night cops etc on tv and seen how a officer simply attempting to interact with a member of the public, for whatever reason, can quickly and totally needlessly escalate to the person being forcibly restrained almost always because they began being arsy with the officer and refusing to answer the simplest of questions then it all spirals out of control!
And all very well looking at the possible bad picture? Its not just possible it's happened time and time again throughout the country, and people would be the first to hold the police to account if had happened when it could have been averted!

Dodgy Bobby,The street crime and road wars programmmes are made for entertainment! Of course the best bits are edited for production and of course, they always seem to have a camera there. Wake up ! According to your post, everyone is a suspect until proven innocent, in my opinion 99.9% of the British public are honest decent folk. That is were we are wrong in this country, for example, thinking that every muslim is a terrorist. shocked
I feel sorry for the police in the fact that their whole life must be suspecting people, even their own family and friends. Very similar to how the USSR used to operate, and still do. Friends , family ,neighbours etc were always suspects under Kremlin law and still are.Doesn't give much chance to any other poor, unsuspecting soul, does it?
Maybe you would prefer a police state!

Granted the afore mention documentaries are edited for viewing pleasure / action, but where did I say everyone is guilty till proven innocent? I merely insinuated that he was equally responsible for his treatment given his attitude towards a officer of the law by refusing to answer simple questions that, by given his level of education he should have realised were a legal requirement to answer! Not to become a suddenly aggrieved member of the public with nothing to hide! Again we come back to my point of all easily avoidable if he hadn't taken a attitude from the off!

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
How about a similar situation which arose in West Kirby, a few years ago. The particular unsuspecting person, with friends were questioned by police officers.As the main person who was being questioned was doing a degree in law, he quoted article no.--- to the police officer, after which they were left alone and told to go on their way. That particular person is now a barrister in London. Of course, during university he looked like 'chav central'!

Meaning, the police don't always know all the rules and if they do, they certainly don't follow them. Maybe they prefer to use their judgement from visual discrepancies.Therefore, someone should have a go at 'fashion gurus', see if they can change the image for some of these young people.
Can't imagine that sleepy little Irby is a hot spot for terrorists.

Last edited by granny; 29th Sep 2013 1:47am.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
......and what's more, I'd be an agrieved member of the public if I was stopped ad questioned, for no apparent reason.In fact I'd probably hit them with me 'andbag!!

Take the 24 yr old out of it and think 'adult'. Would you like it, and would you not be upset and put on the spot? I'm sick of the young people being trampled.
If everyone on here thought the same would happen to their son or friends son, or nephew,or grandson, do you think they would take the same view as those supporting the incident on the police behalf? I think not.
Always remember, what goes around comes around.

Last edited by granny; 29th Sep 2013 2:05am.

~Chief Seattle
Old Hand
Old Hand
Granny....most of the time I read your posts and think, what a sensible person you are...sadly however your latest offerings do not fall into that category.....how can you possibly say that anywhere in this country is not a hot spot for terrorists..recent events have proved they "sleep" in the unlikeliest of places....furthermore the law graduate who quoted article whatever to a policeman who presumably, to use your words "in a similar situation" was doing the job he was trained for by asking legitimate questions about a person who as in a gang at around five o'clock in the morning, in my opinion is nothing but a wise arse...how would you feel granny if the person initially involved in this post had been in the area of your home and allowed to stroll around without question by the police and then broke into your property and stole irreplaceable sentimental items or even worse, caused physical injury to yourself or one of you family.....would the police then be seen to be negligent in their duty or would you be saying "I'm sick of seeing young people being trampled"

I think the more pro active the police are the better. We are turning in a country where you can do what you like without consequence. I would like to see more police on the streets just to police people swearing in front of kids, leaving their dog sh!t on the streets that my kids walk through, giving people three points on their licence when they park on zig zags which is so infuriating because it is dangerous and make people think about their behaviour.

Regarding the lad in the incident... I have never been arrested, charged or been convicted of anything but the few times I have been "assisted" by the police I have never told the whole entire truth about the incident when I have told my family or friends. We can only speculate but I doubt an officer would risk a career in this day and age just to rough a lad up when there is CCTV in and out of the cars and probably some up in irby village. I can imagine that the lad took offence (if he wasn't looking dodgy) at being questioned. The usual responses where probably given "why don't you look for murders" etc etc which for all he knew theft might off been looking for someone at 5am who matched his description who had a history of violence... The police are isolated and then are met with a barrage of abuse refusal to identify himself which is a requirement unlike other agency's like border force and aggressive behaviour, what should they do? Ok lad on ya way. My dealings with police is quite good etc. I have always been polite and had a good laugh with them because they are trying to do a hard job and face not going home every day of their lives to protect us.

Newbeee
Newbeee
Police ask you a question and you respond by asking then if you are obliged to answer?

Why?

Just tell them what they want to know and be on your way.

Your son was being a smart arse plain and simple.

Maybe I'm old school and will do anything for an easy life unlike the emerging young 'I know my rights' brigade.

Originally Posted by MarkJarvis
Police ask you a question and you respond by asking then if you are obliged to answer?

Why?

Maybe I'm old school and will do anything for an easy life unlike the emerging young 'I know my rights' brigade.

withthat Spot on and straight to the point!

fish5133 #828335 29th Sep 2013 12:47pm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Just answer the questions and they will be on their way. If you have nothing to hide why are you bothered

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by organiser
.....how would you feel granny if the person initially involved in this post had been in the area of your home and allowed to stroll around without question by the police and then broke into your property and stole irreplaceable sentimental items or even worse, caused physical injury to yourself or one of you family.....would the police then be seen to be negligent in their duty or would you be saying "I'm sick of seeing young people being trampled"

It seems to me that a number of posts are judging against the original post. Which stated, he was walking at 5 am, with a cup of coffee and his music on. He asked if he had to answer all the questions. If that's how it was, in my opinion it does NOT give justification for the response he got.
That to me, seems a fair question. According to many, he's proabably not telling the truth, he must have given the officers a barrage of abuse, he's a smart arse, he's asking for trouble, the list goes on. The response on here is like Chinese whispers.
Don't think I'd like too many on a jury. You haven't even heard the evidence.
As it happens, my daughter's house was broken into at 8.30am on a Sunday morning, and she was held up at knifepoint in her bed while they robbed her and her friends belongings. Two of them, one in one bedroom and another in my daughter's room. That doesn't mean to say I suspect everyone who is walking about at 8.30am on a Sunday morning.Neither does it mean I suspect every younger person to be up to no good.
So far, we have heard nothing from the police. ..4 years ago now.

~Chief Seattle
Forum Guardian
OP Offline
Forum Guardian

Why?

Judging by my sons account he wasnt particularly being a smart arse but even if he was for a police officer to use violence in that case is still out of order.
https://www.gov.uk/police-powers-to-stop-and-search-your-rights
Whats wrong with knowing and exercising your rights. They are even posted on the Governments website.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Its not a case of being trampled, its them doing their job.

Newbeee
Newbeee
This thread is now boring.

Write your letter "dear police, my son was skulking around at 5am and when approached by police he was cocky and questioned whether he had to answer their questions"

Ffs... Drop it. Move on.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
This thread is now boring.

Write your letter "dear police, my son was skulking around at 5am and when approached by police he was cocky and questioned whether he had to answer their questions"

Ffs... Drop it. Move on.

That's not a very nice remark to make. I'm sure members will do as they please, they don't need such polite guidance!

Last edited by granny; 30th Sep 2013 9:22am.

~Chief Seattle
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
recommendation, please
Car paint jobs
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 8:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 3:37pm
Member Spotlight
KevinFinity
KevinFinity
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
recommendation, please
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
Wirral waters
by casper - 2nd Apr 2024 11:32am
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 11:52am
News : New Topics
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 4th Jan 2023 12:56am
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Car paint jobs
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 9:04am
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,259 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,400 Spotted!