Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,364
Posts1,033,327
Members14,584
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
10 members (3 invisible), 12,937 guests, and 968 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,791
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Bunny, Stacey2007, PrimordialPoet, Rinchen, AGC12
14,584 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by tomstevens - 21st Apr 2010 4:53pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
lincle 4
Topic Replies
Wanted Gardener
by dodie - 24th Apr 2024 1:09pm
Plymyard House
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:49pm
Hi to everyone
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:39pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 2:58pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 2:36pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 19th Apr 2024 10:15am
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 17th Apr 2024 12:52pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
casper 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Lets break it down then if you are a couple who claim JSA with say 3 kids who lives in a 3 bedroomed house which is rented @ 500 PCM. Child tax credits is £8720.00 per yr which equates to £167.00 per week. JSA is 5852 per yr which is £112.55 a week. Housing will cover all the rent £6000 per yr £115.00 a week and child Ben which is 2449 per yr which is 47.10 a week. Grand total of benefits rec'd which is 23k a yr which is £442 a week.... I think that's an incentive not to work. My partner and I clear 29k with child Ben included a 6k difference but of course with 2 kids there are nursery bill and after school stuff because we work. We work about 60 hrs a week between us... Our wage is effectively £1.92 an hour for grafting all day every day havin no holidays ok car no time in the week for much fun no time for a pet and not able to afford one yet next door but one from me party all day smoke weed all day claim ESA and claim depression stops them working... Yet people wonder why the average person is getting annoyed!! Rant over

Google Ads
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by rover644
Originally Posted by granny
Originally Posted by dool4lit4tle
I am a pensioner, who has worked hard all my life like most people of my generation, I receive the state pension,including what they call pension credit this amounts to £140.00 a week, I'm entitled to a 75% reduction off the council tax, and a free bus pass, I'm responsible for all the bills including maintenance of my house, which becomes more expensive each day.
If I received half of the lower amount your talking about for a single person, I'd still be financially better off than I am now.

I am a pensioner too. My state pension amounts £495 every 4 weeks. I paid into a private pension for a while which gives an extra £22 per week. My total weekly amount is £145.75 and therefore I am not entitled to any pension credits, or reduced council tax, or benefits of any description and my council tax is £125 per month for starters.
£495 every four weeks state pension, looks like it includes some pension credit

No, definiteley no pension credit, or anything else. It is becuase I paid more NI contributions over the years

Last edited by granny; 26th Jul 2013 9:05pm.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Ah granny i see. You are 25p over the threshold.

Smartchild
Smartchild
Labour calls for Iain Duncan Smith to be sacked over unemployment failures
Iain Duncan Smith should be sacked as Work and Pensions Secretary for presiding over "the worst failure of any Government department for years", Labour said today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...e-sacked-over-unemployment-failures.html

Let's hope he is sacked!

Addict
Addict
Originally Posted by 19FRANK40
Originally Posted by Dilly
Sell the chips of your shoulder Frank, you will make a fortune.

No chips on my shoulders mate, there seem to be a lot of posts in agreement and to add to my earlier post I do not receive any pension credit.

I am merely showing that the present cap is far too generous given that as a taxpaying pensioner I receive far far less than that cap.

So why the hell do I have to pay via income tax on my pension to support people who without ever working, receive more than me?

I just do not see how anybody could argue that it is wrong.

Its not wrong, i can understand your anger and i do agree with Pablo.

Last edited by missmoneypenny; 27th Jul 2013 5:09pm.
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
I can't see anyone coming up on here and owning up to getting big licks, they'd be making one heck of a rod for their own backs. If that kind of money wasn't being paid out then surely they wouldn't have to cap it, so someone is getting it, just that nobody will own up to getting it.

Birkenhead........ God's own Room 101.
Forum Veteran
Online Content
Forum Veteran
Originally Posted by 19FRANK40
[quote=_
It seems wrong that given my state pension of £110.00 per week I still pay tax
Perhaps the benefit cap should be no greater than the state pension. We all have to live remember, and I have paid into the system all my life without ever claiming anything.

By the way, you should have a word with your accountant.
You shouldn't be paying income tax on your pension unless you have another source of income that is taxable.

I do agree that folks should be better off working than on benefits.but that will never happen whilst there aren't enough decent waged jobs for the working class and we have these huge profits being made by huge impersonal companies and millionaires who use every trick in the book to maximise profits. zero hour contracts, offshore banking,tax havens (all legal but morally wrong)
Times of austerity but there will be an increase in the number of millionaires in this country.
The gap between the wealthy and the poorest (as in poorest paid workers and the new underclass called unemployed)is growing wider and wider

Last edited by derekdwc; 1st Aug 2013 5:35pm.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Yes, you are right DWC about these companies using every trick in the book to maximise profits.Many of the companies are foreign owned now, so we have little call on who becomes millionaires too. Certain people inherit and become millionaires, it's the way of the world.The bankers bonuses are not resulting from the little man in the street, they come from mighty business and transactions of gigantic proportions,that we couldn't even imagine.
I just feel that in all posts made about the division between rich and the so called poor, the poor would like to be the rich. Having said that, many of them are now. They took opportunities when they saw them and made a very nice life- style for themselves. Put on immaculate suits, developed their regional accents, to a more upmarket accent, and now come from a totally different world. Are they crying for you?...no
Whatever we do as a people ,as a nation, as a neighbour will not change the division between rich and poor and it's a stale old arguement to be condeming the rich.Paying their fair share of taxes is a different matter.Good luck to those who have achieved much, why shouldn't we celebrate them? Nobody got anywhere by sitting on their backsides and moaning about how bad things are for them.
By the way, nobody complains about the £££ tens of millions transfer fees for footballers, or the salaries and add-ons they get paid or given.
My biggest gripe if the fact that NONE of the politicians can possibly understand how bad situations are for some at the moment. They need to get off their soap boxes,and put an end to their feeble ways of paying lip service only, to those who are pretty desperate at the moment. They are so completely void of any possible understanding of such situations that it hurts them to even try to think honestly about it, but rich and poor will always be.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
I can't see anyone coming up on here and owning up to getting big licks, they'd be making one heck of a rod for their own backs. If that kind of money wasn't being paid out then surely they wouldn't have to cap it, so someone is getting it, just that nobody will own up to getting it.

I believe that the higher figure is based on the equivalent of "London weighting" (if that still exists. Showing my age if not).

I am not defending the amounts by any stretch, but people need to remember that the top amount is not for single people.

If it was, I wouldn't have had to stop having my carer and be in the mess I am now. I still have the room for my carer to stay in overnight when needed (some weeks it was one night, others three or four) but because of the reduction due to having what is deemed an extra room, I can't afford to pay her. It's a long wait for the appeal too. By the time it's heard, I'll probably need her full time frown It's frustrating when you need things done but can't do them yourself and can't pay anyone to help.

I am not unintelligent by any stretch, but I have no idea where to seek help from. I guess that comes from 23 odd years of working and never really being "in the system".

I don't agree with the so called "career benefit claimants" who have never worked & keep chucking children out by all and sundry, but I guess what I am trying to say in a roundabout way is, don't tar us all with the same brush. I never in a million years thought I would end up like this, all it takes is one second, one series of events and your life can be changed forever.

Sometimes Police Officers give more than just speeding tickets!

It�s hard to be fit as a fiddle when you�re shaped like a cello!
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Watching the 'show' on ch4 and seeing the poor barstewards affected by u.c

There is a pregnant pair paying £420 for a shared room.

People paying £300 PER WEEK (H.B-I dunno)?. If the same property was council it would be £112 per week.

Basically, it is greedy capitalistic twunts contributing to the H.B Bill- dont mind winging about scroungers as long as the rent (h.b) is paid.

Two major social issues here

No affordable living wage-working people needing financial support.
Greedy landlords.

Old Hand
Old Hand
Can we get back to the OP - IDS is a usless tw*** and should join the ranks of the underemployed - he has all the credentials

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
I pay tax as well Frank, because I have a forces pension. I did 34 years to get that though and it stings when they take tax off it, still well below the "living minimum". Keep getting calls for a free boiler too but not entitled to anything because I'm not a benefits claimant. I don't mind the way I am but I wish those who are getting big licks handed to them for doing nothing would stop bleating about what a hard life it is not doing anything. Life's a b..ch.

Birkenhead........ God's own Room 101.
I am a professional who studied hard for 4 years to get my qualification. I have worked on and off for 20 years since then and I earn 23,500 pa. Extra expenses for working so much include ready meals, childcare, petrol, etc. as well as what others have mentioned. My partner earns £15,000 for a 40 hour week. He has COPD and is always ill, but cannot stay off work as we would never survive on my wages alone. I don't have time to shop for bargains either. The people opposite me have never worked, and are having babies after babies by new and different partners (one is on the fifth partner since I have lived here). My house is falling apart while they get new kitchens, roofs, etc. We, and our working neighbours couldn't afford to have more than two children each but they have ten between them, as well as a menagerie of animals. The kids taunt my kids because we cannot afford a holiday, while they go to Lanzarote every year! So - yes I am very disaffected with the current system. When my husband lost his business (another government failing) we didn't get all these benefits and would have lost the house if it wasn't for family helping us out! We were struggling and went for advice. The advice we were given was that I give up work too!! Then, we would have got all the benefits and had more money coming into the house!!!! I sometimes wish I had done, but as someone already mentioned - I wasn't brought up that way!

Addict
Addict
Originally Posted by Foxycoxy
I am a professional who studied hard for 4 years to get my qualification. I have worked on and off for 20 years since then and I earn 23,500 pa. Extra expenses for working so much include ready meals, childcare, petrol, etc. as well as what others have mentioned. My partner earns £15,000 for a 40 hour week. He has COPD and is always ill, but cannot stay off work as we would never survive on my wages alone. I don't have time to shop for bargains either. The people opposite me have never worked, and are having babies after babies by new and different partners (one is on the fifth partner since I have lived here). My house is falling apart while they get new kitchens, roofs, etc. We, and our working neighbours couldn't afford to have more than two children each but they have ten between them, as well as a menagerie of animals. The kids taunt my kids because we cannot afford a holiday, while they go to Lanzarote every year! So - yes I am very disaffected with the current system. When my husband lost his business (another government failing) we didn't get all these benefits and would have lost the house if it wasn't for family helping us out! We were struggling and went for advice. The advice we were given was that I give up work too!! Then, we would have got all the benefits and had more money coming into the house!!!! I sometimes wish I had done, but as someone already mentioned - I wasn't brought up that way!
Loved reading your post.at the end of the day we all should work for our keep.Not make a living out of the benefit system.You should be entitled to some help though.Imagine if a majority of unemployed havent worked for more than 5 years.The cost of the taxpayers money to keep a roof over there heads and still be able to buy there alcohol and fags,that alone cost a fortune.Even couples who are fit to work and cant be bothered to go out and get work.No wonder the goverment is capping the benefit system.Its so unfair

Newbeee
Newbeee
raftl

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Wanted Gardener
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
recommendation, please
Car paint jobs
For Sale & Free
Member Spotlight
diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Wanted Gardener
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
recommendation, please
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
News : New Topics
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 4th Jan 2023 12:56am
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
Car paint jobs
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,573 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,859 Spotted!