Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,281
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
9 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 8,070 guests, and 433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
What song are you listening to?
by diggingdeeper - 28th Mar 2024 6:06pm
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Mark Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Rail companies ban e-cigarettes from trains and stations.

Source : click me

Where next ?

Google Ads
Forum Master
Forum Master
its getting ridiculous. I use an ecig... been 9 weeks since i lit a ciggy, in fact ive not lit one since i started with the ecig

the governments around the world are only complaining cos they cant tax it.....YET and the loss of sales to the tobacco industry
is phenominal

><((((*> <*))))><
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
I don't understand why people would feel uneasy. However, I don't think ecigs should be smoked where real fags cannot. I also think that it is codswallop that not being able to smoke an ecig (on a train) would drive people back to smoking.

Forum Master
Forum Master
I don't smoke, can't stand the things, but the e-cigs seemed like a good idea for those that need their fix.

Like jabber, one of the guys who started using one of these several weeks ago (and then talked me into stocking them) hasn't had a proper cigarette since.

Some of the flavours they come in can smell a bit strong (especially the chocolate ones) but if you have to start banning smells theirs a few things that would come higher up the list.

I don't think that banning them on trains will drive people back to proper cigarettes, as you can't use those on trains either.

It's only certain companies that have banned them, and none of those are in the North West, so maybe we'll see if it appears here or is revoked there.

Interestingly the ban would be company policy, not a legal requirement, so how any penalty would be enforced should be interesting.

Wise One
Wise One
fooking smokers deserve everything they get.

H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
Originally Posted by DeanoBirko
fooking smokers deserve everything they get.

Same with drinkers & druggies!!

The trouble is, smokers generate roughly £10bn in taxes per year. If nobody smoked, that revenue would have to come from somewhere else. That means increased taxes for people who work, higher prices on petrol, food (yes some is taxed) etc.

IF you work, would you be happy to pay a lot more tax just so cigarettes didn't exist? The health issues of smokers would still be there so the price they cost the NHS (roughly £1.6bn) would still have to be found.

Alcohol causes more health problems, not to mention violence, drink driving etc. Maybe it should be treated the same way. Same with fatty foods, high calorie sweet foods etc, as obesity is a problem. You could go on and on banning stuff.

Last edited by Wench; 13th Aug 2013 10:31am. Reason: Discovered the current estimate of tax raised. Old figure was £2bn lower.

Sometimes Police Officers give more than just speeding tickets!

It�s hard to be fit as a fiddle when you�re shaped like a cello!
Wise One
Wise One
The Government should ban everything, its for the best.

Seriously though, I dont want my child seeing someone smoke a 'fake' cigarrette and think its cool.

All smoking should be banned in public places, even outdoor. If im in town and some dirty fag hag with yellowed teeth and reeking breath exhales her rancid smoke into my path, it ruins my day.

Smartchild
Smartchild
i agree with this, should treat them like real fags..if you can't smoke in that area..then e-cigs shouldn't be allowed either...

i gave up 24 weeks ago,
but used champix as didn't want any nicotine...

good luck tho to all those trying :-)

Forum Master
Forum Master
MERSEYRAIL say e-cigarettes could be banned on trains as they review their policies.

It comes as train operators C2C, Greater Anglia and First Capital Connect bring in new rules which stop passengers from using the nicotine devices onboard.

Merseyrail have now said that they are looking at passengers’ views on the devices and may follow suit.

Source
A spokeswoman said: “Merseyrail closely monitors the views of our customers regarding the smoking of tobacco and e-cigarettes on trains and stations and we are currently reviewing our policies.

"Should we conclude that there is a case for outlawing it, we would take the necessary steps to do so.”

Almost 1.5m Britons now use the e-cigarettes, which resemble traditional cigarettes, to help them overcome their addiction to tobacco, but the rail companies insist some varieties still expel nicotine, and can make other passengers feel uneasy.

A Greater Anglia rail spokesman said: “In common with other train operators we have recently taken the decision to include cigarettes in the smoking ban on our trains and stations.

“This decision is in line with the British Medical Association’s recommendation that e-cigarettes should be included in the ban on smoking in public places.”

But Amanda Standford, a spokesman for the antismoking group ASH described the ban as “unhelpful” and warned that it could drive many people trying to kick the habit with the fake cigarettes back to tobacco use.

Last week it emerged that Transport for London, which runs the capital’s public transport network, is also considering a ban.

The e-cigarettes are already banned from J D Wetherspoon pubs.

Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
Ban with no just cause, stupid fascist state.

Uncertainty or not knowing causes depression, Im happy because I know I'm going to die one day!
Forum Master
Forum Master
The only thing I don't like about e-cigs is the way people wear them around their neck. Did you make a necklace of 20 B&H when you smoked proper fags? smile

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Originally Posted by Sanchez
Ban with no just cause, stupid fascist state.

Fascist is correct
The vapour is harming nobody else, only the user
Its only because it looks like a fag that it bothers people
I don't like the way some people dress but It does not mean they should be banned from wearing it
Damn it, I don't like some food people eat so why not ban that as well busted
In fact ban everything I don't like, lol
If we all liked and hated the same things the world would be a boring place grin

Forum Master
Forum Master
It all depends what's in that vapour.

The World Health Organization advised that consumers should not use e-cigarettes until they are deemed safe. They said the potential risks "remain undetermined" and that the contents of the vapour emissions had not been thoroughly studied.

And the BMA says:

The British Medical Association stated that a strong regulatory framework was needed to "restrict their marketing, sale and promotion so that it is only targeted at smokers as a way of cutting down and quitting, and does not appeal to non-smokers, in particular children and young people".

The French have done a study and they claim:

In three models out of ten the levels of the carcinogenic compound formaldehyde come close to those of a conventional cigarette.

'The highly toxic molecule acrolein was also detected in the vapours of e-cigarettes, sometimes at levels even higher than in traditional cigarettes.'

The report also criticised certain models for lacking child-proof safety caps because nicotine levels contained in the liquid content of an electronic cigarette could be lethal to children.

Forum Master
Forum Master
And some more about the harmless "water vapour" that comes off them:

"Instead of smoke, the vapour is nearly all water vapour,..."

This statement is repeated on every website article I've seen and also in the UK NHS website articles.

How can it be that a mixture of glycerine and propylene glycol, when heated, produces water vapour??

The answer is that it doesn't, it produces glycerine and propylene glycol vapour. I am amazed that the false statement about 'water vapour' has been repeated all over the internet. (There is a small amount of water added to the mixture to make it easier to flow when filling and for wick wetting.)

and:

The pale grey clouds produced by e-cigs are not water vapour. They are a 'fog' of glycerine and propylene glycol. (Visible steam from a kettle is a fog of water). For some reason, a longish time ago, somebody on the internet stated that the e-cig stuff was mainly water vapour, which is obviously incorrect by any rational analysis. If you read internet articles about e-cigs you will find that exact same statement repeated all over the place, with very similar wording - it's an internet meme, or lazy journalism, call it what you will.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Aaaahhh! that lovely glycerine and propylene glycol vapour wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am