Darley Dene’ once stood opposite the Boode’s Monument on Breck Road. Mr. Thomas Monk, of the firm Monk & Newell, contractors, who were responsible for the building of the docks and the Seacombe Ferry Approaches in 1876, built the house for Mr. Bewley on land that was once owned by Sir John Tobin. Later Monk would also occupy the house in the 1870’s. Originally the house was called ‘The Slopes’ and some people believe that it was designed by an astronomer as the foundations of the building faced four points of the compass. Mrs. B. DeArcy was the occupant in the early part of the century and then William Smithson Chantrell came to live here. He was Mayor of Wallasey in 1922/1923 and was Justice of the Peace. At the outbreak of war the Army took over, and it was in a heavy air-raid on the 12th March, 1941, that the house received a mortal blow, involving the deaths of seventeen soldiers. After later use for Civil Defence purposes, the demolition of the property was completed in 1959.