Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,361
Posts1,033,315
Members14,578
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
5 members (1 invisible), 9,891 guests, and 409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
PaulRobson, meolswanderer, Firminafirm, YesterYearGenea, Luke121
14,578 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 6:55pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
Topic Replies
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 17th Apr 2024 12:52pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by diggingdeeper - 14th Apr 2024 2:42pm
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 13th Apr 2024 3:35pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 10th Apr 2024 11:00pm
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Abakumss - 8th Apr 2024 9:04am
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by casper - 6th Apr 2024 9:09am
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
casper 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
casper 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
RE: Pickle 1984 Picture:

those people shown in your photo are the ... I refer to. Brainless idiots who were not born in the 80's but follow the ideals of their idle parents. Give them a pint of Stella and they will shout for anything...oh sorry and a load of benefits that they can scrounge off.

Google Ads
Veteran
Veteran
She still had a damn sight more balls than any of the muppets who have tried to run the country since.

Well done, Liverpool (we can always rely upon you) and well done, Glasgow!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In the war led by Margaret Thatcher’s governments – against the left, the trade unions, the post-war consensus – her side was crushingly, devastatingly, humiliatingly victorious.

In the coming days, some on the right will attempt to snuff out criticism of her legacy, arguing that it is somehow disrespectful, spiteful or ghoulish. Absurd, of course: she was a politician – the most divisive in modern British history – and what she represented must of course be debated. They will use the moment of her passing to batter Thatcherism into the national psyche: that she somehow saved Britain from ruin, put the “great” back into “Great Britain”, and so forth. Those who grew up in the Britain that Thatcher built will be patronised: you were still learning how to walk at the height of her power. And that is why it is crucial to separate Thatcherism from the woman who spearheaded it.

Thatcherism was a national catastrophe, and we remain trapped by its consequences. As her former Chancellor Geoffrey Howe put it: “Her real triumph was to have transformed not just one party but two, so that when Labour did eventually return, the great bulk of Thatcherism was accepted as irreversible.”

We are in the midst of the third great economic collapse since the Second World War: all three have taken place since Thatcherism launched its great crusade. This current crisis has roots in the Thatcherite free market experiment, which wiped out much of the country’s industrial base in favour of a deregulated financial sector.

A poisoned “debate” about social security rages in Cameron’s Britain. It focuses on the idea that there are large numbers of people stuck on benefits. It is certainly true that there were more people languishing in long-term unemployment last year than there were in all forms of unemployment 40 years ago. In large part, this is a consequence of Thatcherism’s emptying communities of millions of secure, skilled industrial jobs. Large swathes of Britain – mining villages, steel towns and so on – were devastated, and never really recovered. Even when Britain was supposedly booming, the old industrial heartlands had high levels of what is rather clinically described as “economic inactivity”.

Five million people now languish on social housing waiting lists, while billions of pounds of housing benefit line the pockets of private landlords charging rip-off rents. The scarcity of housing turns communities against each other, as immigrants or anyone deemed less deserving are scapegoated. But the guilt really lies with the Thatcherite policy of right-to-buy and failure to replace the stock that was sold off.

Champions of Thatcherism hail the crippling of the trade unions, which were battered by anti-union laws, mass unemployment, and crushing defeats of strikes, not least after the rout of the iconic miners. This has not only left workers at the mercy of their bosses, but has made them poorer, too. Four years before the crisis began, the income of the bottom half was stagnating, while for the bottom third it actually began to decline – even as corporations were posting record profits. With no unions to stand their corner, workers’ living standards have long been squeezed – driving large numbers to cheap credit.

We could go on. Britain was one of the most equal Western European countries before the Thatcherite project began, and is now one of the most unequal. Thatcherism is not just alive and well: it courses through the veins of British political life. The current government goes where Thatcherism did not dare in its privatisation of the NHS and sledgehammering of the welfare state.

The challenge ahead is the same as it was yesterday: to tear down the whole edifice of Thatcherism, heal Britain of the damage done, and build a country run in the interests of working people. It’s a fight we must all fight. The champagne is on ice until we win it.

Last edited by NickLeg; 9th Apr 2013 10:31am.
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
It was the miners who cost me my job and short working weeks every year before that. They just held the country to ransom every cold snap and to those who just wanted to get on with the job it was a pain in the arris and made life difficult. How many who are celebrating are living in houses which they bought off the council, or their folks are? She had her convictions and stood by them, rock solid lady. It was when Maggie got in that I was able to get myself back on track and for that I am eternally greatful. RIP.

Birkenhead........ God's own Room 101.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

How many remember the run up to Margaret Thatcher’s government. Do you remember the previous 10 years. The ‘ winter of discontent’ during 1978/79 with James Callahan as Prime Minister.
In 1972 , the Heath government, can you remember what it was like working the three day week which was due to the NUM dictating to the country and working to rule? Thus we didn’t have enough power to work a full week. Working by candle light in offices, banks, shops, etc across the whole of the country. Reduced wages, because of it. Schools were closed and attendance down to two half days per week. Hospitals struggling to cope with operations and all things related.
Many homes and businesses were without electricity for up to nine hours a day. Nearly 300 pits were closed in England and Wales due to strike action and they intended to drag it out for as long as possible. The country was almost on it’s knees.
The government had offered a 7.9% pay deal just below the 8% they wanted.

The shortage of electricity was forcing more and more factories and businesses to close. Six weeks after the start of it 1.2 million workers were laid off.
The miners and their unions were holding the country to ransom, and therefore responsible for a lot of job losses all over the country. So don’t anyone defend the miners before they really know what they are talking about. That strike lasted for 7 weeks and the next one in 1984, when they thought they could get away with the same tactics and without a ballot, failed,thanks to the strength of Mrs. Thatcher.
Do you remember the Wilson government between 1974 an 1976. We had Jack Jones and the TWGU calling the tune.
There was almost a military coup during these times. People behind the scenes, were sitting waiting for the phone call and it was very real. We didn’t know at the time but it became apparent later that it was all ready to put into motion at a given word. Everything was getting out of hand.
Feeble leaders and strong trade unions ready to cause anarchy. There is always a third element in these situations, hiding in the wings.

The dockers were always taking strike action and had been doing so for years. They wanted money for nothing. They wanted a £9 increase on £25 per week wage. What percentage is that? The shipping companies got brassed off with the militant element which was costing them a fortune, and took their ships elsewhere. What was once a major port in Liverpool, ran into decline through their own(dockers) fault.
Mrs Thatcher turned us around and pointed the country in a different direction, which was by far a better place to be, than what we had left behind. As a country, we had to move forward. People took an opportunity and made a better life for themselves. They moved to different parts of the country where the jobs were available, after all the industrial unrest. For those who have an axe to grind, then grind it, because it will be falling mainly on deaf ears, as many have heard it all before, many times.

Not really interested in what she s being blamed for 22years down the line. She did what had to be done at the time, to put this country back on track.

Just as a matter of interest, how many remember it all and how many lived with it?

Last edited by granny; 9th Apr 2013 11:10am.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Remember it and lived with it Granny. It through me off course to what I'd planned for my life but thanks to Maggie's policies I got more or less back on track, still not what I originally planned but it's survivable. Life under Callaghan, Wilson etc. was a bloody misery to my way of thinking, there was no optimism about for anything. Quite right too, I ended up spending 30 years away from my family to keep myself on an even keel. Finding out on here who the people are that I can be bothered with, some really disgusting comments. I despair.

Old Hand
Old Hand
Nothing worse than Working class tories!!! somad

There's qite a balanced view (for those who want one!) on the BBC web site:

What if Margaret Thatcher had never been

It reminded me of a few things I had forgotten (both for and against). Both myself and husband worked either directly or indirectly for the coal industry, if it wasn't for Mrs. T I would still live in the Midlands - so thanks Mrs T (and I hated the school milk - it was always served warm and cheesy)

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Originally Posted by Kevinx

And you can rest assured that by "working class" I was working mate.
lamethrower

Smartchild
Smartchild
Oh how true people have very short memories, or for some who make comments you may not have been there I was as was my father who was on the docks and just wanted to work.
The building strikes which saw union thugs kicking down brickwork, smashing windows of council houses and a lot more.

I was based at the shipyards in south shields during the miners strike not happy memories

It is very easy to forget Wilson Callaghan and everyone forgets what the options of the labour leadership were Micheal Foot,
Neil Kinnock.

What did Liverpool get Derek Hatton a waste of flesh, but proving the ... theory.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Contrary to popular opinion, there are a huge amount about!

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by mrhanky
Originally Posted by granny
Probably half of you making the most disgusting comments were not even born, when Mrs Thatcher was Prime Minister.

i wasn't alive when hitler was, does that mean i can't have an opinion about him either? wink

Hear Hear, well said mrhanky

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Contrary to popular opinion, there are a huge amount about!

Something that I've always had difficulty comprehending.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Just as a matter of interest, how many remember it all and how many lived with it?

Yes, I was there, Granny. The weak Labour governments were a disaster for this country. We were ruled by the militant Trades Unions, who had started out as a very necessary resistance to tyrannical employers but who eventually became as tyrannical as the employers had been. I would describe Mrs.Thatcher as a necessary evil: what she did needed doing.

Carpe diem.
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
recommendation, please
Car paint jobs
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 8:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 3:37pm
Member Spotlight
KevinFinity
KevinFinity
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
recommendation, please
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
Wirral waters
by casper - 2nd Apr 2024 11:32am
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 11:52am
News : New Topics
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Car paint jobs
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 9:04am
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,213 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,290 Spotted!