Our Success is in our members who value our strength as a valued community.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,280
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
12 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 7,926 guests, and 465 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 21st Mar 2024 9:27am
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#765441 7th Feb 2013 3:44am
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I often see on forums or on facebook, people saying they hate the way Britain has become and they would give anything to move out, but I wonder how many people if they had the chance would actually emigrate leaving family, friends, lifestyle, and all other creature comforts behind?

Do we moan because we like to think we're hard done to, yet secretly are quite happy with our lot in life?

When I think about everything I have now and did have when I lived back in UK, there's very little that's changed really. I'm still the same person with the exact same gripes I had but just in a different country. So, I wonder why people feel the quality of their lives would be drastically altered just by moving away?

Google Ads
Addict
Addict
Hi Elizabeth
I think it depends on age and era. I emigrated when I was 20 because I could not see any future for me in Birkenhead. Late sixties and I was a flagger on the council, didn't seem to be much future in that and it just seemed that my life was revolving around work, the pub and football. I don't believe I would be as well off as I am now If I had stayed.

Newbeee
Newbeee
I left the wirral for dubai a few years ago and I'm glad I did, I do enjoy coming back home, I'm home for ten days at the moment,

but the life I have in the UAE compared to what I would here is astonishing, I'm earning a good 10k PA more than I would be here, and the weather is better too!

Wise One
Wise One
Had an offer to live in Brisbane and the pressure from the wifes family caused her to bottle it when the plane tickets came through. Almost destroyed our marriage.

There is a lot of negativity in the UK at the moment, mostly from Facebook and the media. If you switch off from it, theres no reason why you cant have a happy life here.

Who knows if ill ever get another chance but im happy to be alive and have my family around me.

Forum Guide
Forum Guide
I think life changed in this country as soon as they lied and pushed us into the EU, I think the Commonwealth was the way to go, now we have destruction of the people of the country and higher taxes or in Labour parlance "investments", I suppose the grass is always greener when your looking from this way towards people living in another country, good luck to what ever decision you make with your lives, you still have contact on the internet to make it easier to "phone home".

Old Hand
Old Hand
I would be gone like a shot, if i was able, i still have a good life here, im happy but would prefer to live in Brisbane,

Wiki Addict
Wiki Addict
it would break my heart if my only son decided to emigrate with my grandson and also my granddaughter thats due this summer, they are the reasons i couldnt do it but id never try and stop him for finding a better life away from birkenhead

[Linked Image]
The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.
#765524 7th Feb 2013 10:38am
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
I love Australia but I am glad I did not emigrate.The happy times I spent with my parents, grandparents and batchelor uncles can never be replaced.
Children you bring them up to have the confidence to explore and make their own decisions, so if mine wished to emigrate I would wish them well.
You made a good choice in your twenties as did my school friend who lives in Sydney.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by DeanoBirko

There is a lot of negativity in the UK at the moment, mostly from Facebook and the media. If you switch off from it, theres no reason why you cant have a happy life here.

That's exactly how I feel too, Deano. There's a lot of negativity here in USA too regarding such things as illegal immigrants, welfare fraud, healthcare, kids with no respect, no jobs etc which seems to be the same topics I read people complaining about in UK.
When we moved here back in 1996 it was due to husband's job and it was awful to have to leave what was an already happy life. I didn't know anyone here, had no idea where to get my hair done, which doctor or dentist were good and also getting used to the millions of tv channels was a nightmare.

Our children were only 7 & 5 when we came and therefore both sets of grandparents had to deal with losing the closeness they had developed with them frown Sadly, both my parents and in-laws have died since we moved here and I regret that neither of my kids really knew them (although we did phone as much as poss and would visit them once a year) it's still no substitute for being nearby.

I don't believe I am any better off money wise now than if I'd stayed on the Wirral, my house likely would be comparable to what I have in USA (minus the massive, much too big back garden which gets very old, very fast)

So, what I suppose I'm saying is what I originally posted, that if you're not happy with the country you live in now and pick fault with it's problems, you will find yourself doing the exact same thing in a different country once you realise that the streets are not all paved with gold and the grass is actually very much the same green colour everywhere you go smile

PS. it's our intention to move back to the Wirral in the future as no matter how bad some folk think it is, it's always been home to us and there's no other place like it as far as we're concerned smile

Newbeee
Newbeee
My old man use to say, "the grass may be greener, but you still have to mow it".

I know now that no matter where I go, I'll still be unhappy with something somewhere and moan away. May as well do it where my family are. They have to listen.

Last edited by Jimz76; 9th Feb 2013 8:53pm.
Smartchild
Smartchild
I think if you are stuck in a rut then take the opportunity to go and live in another country, perhaps on a work permit initially. I went to Spain years ago to work but came back to the UK as it was not all sunshine and sangria it was made out to be. It was pretty hostile, and I did not speak Spanish. A world of opportunities is out there but, as long as you are safe, there is no reason not to go and explore. I don't regret Spain, perhaps would have regretted not taking the opportunity to go and work there if I had not done so.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
My husband and I had the chance to emigrate to New Zealand in the 1970's. We did a trip there and visited north and south islands. Apart from the fact that it was an outdoor life with barbeques every weekend,(I don't think we had barbeques here then) everybody knew someone with a boat and the climate was lovely,nothing really grabbed me enough to want to leave the uk. Family also played a part.
Now, if my family got the opportunity I would encourage them as much as possible. Otherwise, they will hang around and watch me whither away and that seems a life wasted, when it could be more successful and fruitful,than anything that's on offer here in UK.
Canada would possibly be a nice place to go to.

Last edited by granny; 9th Feb 2013 11:31pm.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
granny #766637 10th Feb 2013 12:07pm
Guardian
Guardian
I came to Canada when I was 20. After leaving school at 15 anf having various no where jobs for 5 years, it seemed like a good option. I have never regretted it. I sometimes feel guilt about leaving as if I bailed out or something like that. I was always proud of my heretige and would promote it when ever I could.

Canada has been very good to me and to most people who come here. Yes, we have problems but they seem minute compared to what I read about whats happening in the UK. I believe you have to be young to emigrate. Your more adaptable and open to new experiences. I could not do it now. I do miss the English way of life but it frightens me when I see whats going on.

So to the younger generation. GO FOR IT if you have the chance. Yes, you'll miss home but you'll be making a new better home.

Peter

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I love UK, and I’m happy to live and work in Birkenhead.

I holiday in Scotland one week per year and most weekends can be found in North Wales. I also do walks around Delamere forest or Beaston and do Chester Wall walk at least once a year (it changes every year).

There are also so many great places on the Wirral (want a good walk, try Roydon Park, after your walk you can pop into the 'Friends' cafe and have a coffee with a teacake or scone for £1.00) then there's the Wirral way, Storeton Woods, Eastham Woods and so much more.

If the politicians do something you don't like, then go to your local MPs surgery and tackle them about it make then do their Job and represent YOU.

If you want to change something for the better then VOLUNTEER for something (our present mob of sanctimonious Hypocritical B______s are cutting funding left right and centre so God knows there are enough charities and groups out there crying for help and PM me if you want to help older people).

Well done those who have found happiness abroad but for the rest of us let’s look at our cup as being half full NOT half empty.

Oops I’m ranting again! but I wouldn't live anywhere else (and yes I have been abroad and seen other places).

Causing mayhem since 1959
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted by softshoes
Yes, we have problems but they seem minute compared to what I read about whats happening in the UK. I believe you have to be young to emigrate. I do miss the English way of life but it frightens me when I see whats going on.

Peter

I agree with you to a point Peter, but whenever I'm over in UK I realise how much I really love it there and that it is ultimately my home.

Another thing you mentioned about being young when you emigrate makes it easier to adapt. Both our children were very little when we came to USA (7 & 5) they went through the US education system, yet both ended up coming back to England to go to uni in Liverpool and now think of UK as their home (daughter said she would never return to live in USA now as she loves the Wirral too much!)
I suppose it very much depends on the person, whether they can embrace the new lifestyle they find themselves in or if they find themselves always thinking of life back home.

I love reading all the answers that are being posted though, it seems that the majority of the answers suggest most Wirral folk are quite content living there smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
KevinFinity
KevinFinity
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am