WikiWirral is where great friendships are made.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,280
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
14 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 7,530 guests, and 650 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 21st Mar 2024 9:27am
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
#761074 25th Jan 2013 12:36pm
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
Attitudes of the British people are hardening towards benefits and those claiming it.
Do Wiki members believe that benefits are too low and cause hardship or that they are too high and discourage work.

Last edited by Mark; 29th Jan 2013 8:35am. Reason: Topic Renamed
Google Ads
P
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
P
Originally Posted by Grandpa_George
Attitudes of the British people are hardening towards benefits and those claiming it.
Do Wiki members believe that benefits are too low and cause hardship or that they are too high and discourage work.

A can of worms await .... seeyu

Smartchild
Smartchild
the new universal credit system coming out in april is going to cause havoc.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
I think benefits are too low for the genuine claimants but there are far too many who claim unjustly. I believe that it is the latter group which gets the headlines and spoils the claims of those really in need.It does appear too easy to make false claims and get away with it.I have no idea how we move the goalposts to allow needy folk to get help whilst discouraging those who claim unfairly.Sadly it is always the case that the "minority" spoil things for the rest.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
i think they're fair as they stand, it's setting boundaries for things like DLA is where the issues arise. if someone is entitled to DLA, then fine, but i know (of) many people who have nothing wrong with them, physically or mentally, and have somehow wangled onto DLA and get a car paid for fully and other such nicities when they neither need nor deserve it.

Wise One
Wise One
The name of this topic gives us a hint where you're wanting to go with this.

Addict
OP Offline
Addict
Originally Posted by Shambo
The name of this topic gives us a hint where you're wanting to go with this.

Sorry should say "Benefit Scroungers?".

Addict
OP Offline
Addict
My opinion on this, is there are too many claimants sitting around on their fat arses, smoking their cigarettes, drinking their alcohol surrounded by cats and dogs, complaining they don't get enough benefits. These are the people who make the whole benefit system look a complete mess. Yes there are genuine people who need help with benefits but there are a lot more who work the system and drain whatever they can out of it without putting anything back in.

Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
If anyone knows of a Benefit fraudster, why don't they do the decent thing and turn them in, or is it they don't have personal knowledge but rely on propaganda bandied about.

God help us,
Come yourself,
Don't send Jesus,
This is no place for children.

Bertieone.
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
Originally Posted by j_demo
...... somehow wangled onto DLA and get a car paid for fully.....

Just wanted to clear this statement up. They don't get a car paid for fully - if you need a car to help you get around, you have to have the high mobility component of DLA and you pay for the car out of that component.

This is the kind of thing that gets those of us who are disabled a bad name as people think we get everything handed to us on a plate. The likes of the Daily Fail, the ... & the Grauniad seem to take great pleasure in denigrating the disabled & others on benefits. The knock on effect is that their readers then take it as gospel & in turn, they denigrate those on benefits too.

I will probably get well & truly flamed for this but, in for a penny as they say. The people who breed for benefits sake, have more children when they cannot afford the one(s) they have, those who are on drugs or are alcoholics should not get as much as they do. Children are not a means to more money or a right! I see so many friends who have a few children constantly moaning because of childcare fees, before and after school club fees, hobby clubs/classes, cost of shoes/clothes/ipads/mobiles/xcubewiibox games etc and how they can't afford to go out as they have to find a babysitter, pay them etc. TOUGH!! Nobody forced you to have kids! You chose to have children, so suck it up sweethearts!!

If anyone wants to moan about the genuinely disabled getting a few extras, then they are more than welcome to have my disability for a week, and the few extra £'s that comes with it. Rest assured - you wouldn't last 48hrs!

Just for the record, I paid into the "system" for 23yrs before my accident and did not put a claim in for the resulting disability for 8 months - I lived on my savings! Once I am partially fixed, I will go back to work & pay back into the system - no doubt paying more in than I've taken out of the pot.

Those who have never paid in should perhaps have a cap on what they get - just a thought.

Rant over smile

P.S. - I don't drink or smoke but I do have my dog. I got her many years ago when I was on upwards of £26k a year. She is the best physio going. If it wasn't for her, I'd have given up many many years ago.

Sometimes Police Officers give more than just speeding tickets!

It�s hard to be fit as a fiddle when you�re shaped like a cello!
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Difficult to say, as those who are not on or have not ever received benefits, dont know what people are entitled to receive. Plus,nobody on benefits ever let you know either with regard to the overheads and their total income from all scources. So, I suppose we all make a good guess and generally speaking, tend to point the finger', which is understandable from those who don't know.

Other things are questionable in my opinion. Those who are on low income benefits, disability benefits and old age pensions are all (providing they meet criteria) able to foster children, without their benefits/pensions being affected. Looking at the report below taken from an article printed a couple of years ago , fostering appears to be a pretty lucrative business(unless I've been left behind how much a living wage is now) which has to be questioned for obvious reasons, even though, there are many who provide an exceptional service for those children.
There are always the ones who will abuse a system for their own ends! Although my comment is bound to upset some, because they read it as they wish to see it, not as it is written.

Foster care
Linda is a foster carer who looks after Billy, 5, and Andrew, 14. They both live with Linda and her family full time. Linda gets a weekly allowance and fee for each of the boys. As the two boys are different ages, with different demands, this is reflected in the allowances and fees.

For the care of Billy, she is entitled to an allowance of £113.46, which covers maintenance, his clothing and his pocket money. She also receives £151.36 as a weekly fee for Billy. For the care of Andrew she receives an allowance of £145.19 and a £189.21 weekly fee.

In total, Linda receives £600.22 per week for caring for the two boys

http://www.guardian.co.uk/edinburgh/2011/jan/17/edinburgh-foster-caring-pay-rates-myths

Last edited by granny; 25th Jan 2013 1:51pm.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Addict
Addict
i think its important to define a "scrounger"? there are those that have fallen on hard times and rightly receive help, and there are those who have no intention of working or even trying to work! i despise the second group!

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Agree with Salmons post, and the first para of Granny's .(her following paras are a whole new issue which deserve their own thread)
I think your first paragraph Granny sums up why I think the only way things could change , to stop the system being abused, is more of a Big Brother state. People claiming would have to be subject to far more personal invasive scrutiny - and that aint going to happen in these days of 'eweman rights' My mum was telling me that in her day , 'Parish benefits' were paid in the Welsh valleys, and they would come in and handle all your stuff and if you had any luxuries , you stood no chance of financial assistance. Dont think many of us would like those sort of days again , but certainly I for one would welcome more resources put into making sure the benefits went to the genuinely needy --and then the upside would be that there would be MORE money available for the right people then.
The main problem should be tackled first, and that is the abuse at the top - perpetrated , sorry, allowed, by the Govt in so much as they dont have a firm enough grip on the officialdom high up . Im talking about the ones who allow big companies to get away without paying their taxes via sneaky loopholes, the ones who wave through thousands of immigrants without the correct checks , and the rules that allow limited companies to go bankrupt and open up the next day in another name, leaving a trail of 'owed' people with ruined livelihoods who then are forced onto the benefits system etc etc etc.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Grandpa_George
Yes there are genuine people who need help with benefits but there are a lot more who work the system and drain whatever they can out of it without putting anything back in.

Do you have the figures to back this statement up, or is it just what you would like to believe, in order to make sweeping generalizations?

I suggest you have a look at this link:

http://research.dwp.gov.uk/asd/asd2/index.php?page=fraud_error

So, the DWP's own statistics estimate that 2.1% of total benefit expenditure was overpaid due to fraud and error, and interestingly, 0.8% was actually underpaid due to fraud and error!

With respect, that hardly backs up your hypothesis, & as has been pointed out earlier in this thread, perhaps the title gives away your agenda. Do you read the Daily Mail by any chance?

The Chancellor has reasoned that the 50% tax rate is not justifiable because it is not feasible to collect it, as people find ways of avoiding their liability. Oh well Mr Osborne, that's alright then, turn a blind eye to your rich chums because it is a bit difficult to get them to pay their taxes, whilst at the same time demonizing the majority of legitimate benefits claimants by inferring they are in essence work-shy scroungers, who are therefore a reasonable target!

To me, benefit fraud is repugnant, as is tax avoidance / evasion, and yet whilst paying lip-service to the tax issue but little else, the Tories are happy to dismantle the benefits system in what is a naked ideological attack.

From society's perspective, telling people "we are all in this together", whilst depriving the poorest and most vulnerable of the means to adequate food warmth & shelter (i.e. the most basic requirements for living), will inevitably lead to social unrest, as when you have taken everything away from somebody, and then want even more, how on earth do you expect them to react?

I am not trying to agitate for disturbances, but this will surely be the inevitable consequence of an already unequal society being made even more so, and that is really going to cost a lot of money to address.

Rant over!

Last edited by 24424m; 25th Jan 2013 2:25pm.
Forum Master
Online Content
Forum Master
There should be different scales of benefit based on NI contributions, needless to say those that have never put in get the least out, unfortunately for the disabled the abusers have ruined the scheme for the genuine,Wench you defend disability payments quite rightly so, however you let yourself down by begrudging those that support children their rights, this is exactly what this odious government wants, blame all the ills of the economy on those least able to defend themselves, just like the Nazis did with the Jews the poor are the scapegoats, turn one against the other,god help us all if they are elected for another parliament, we will all feel the cold fingers of capitalism and conservatism choking the life out of us

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am