Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,363
Posts1,033,326
Members14,584
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
12 members (3 invisible), 9,953 guests, and 448 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,791
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Bunny, Stacey2007, PrimordialPoet, Rinchen, AGC12
14,584 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by tomstevens - 21st Apr 2010 4:53pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
lincle 4
Topic Replies
Plymyard House
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:49pm
Hi to everyone
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:39pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 2:58pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 2:36pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 19th Apr 2024 10:15am
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 17th Apr 2024 12:52pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
Traffic Wardens
by diggingdeeper - 14th Apr 2024 2:42pm
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
casper 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
casper 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Old Hand
Old Hand
Originally Posted by Zubee
Originally Posted by philmch
You are wasting your time sending out unsolicited CVs. Do you have any comprehension of how many are in the post at any given hour ?
We occasionally get them at our office and they go straight into the shredder.

I have never met *anyone* who ever got a job this way. You're far better off going to an agency. They are pimps of course and take a cut of your wages but it's in their interest to find work for you.

Good luck to you. It sounds like you're trying hard.

Jobneeded67 didn't actually say that he'd sent these 'unsolicited'. I've sent out over 100 in answer to job adverts and have only had around 10 responses, so I understand why he's feeling so down hearted.

You don't give much hope to people looking for work by saying that anybody who's taken the initiative to send an unsolicited CV is wasting their time as they go unread, straight to the shredder.

I sincerely hope that you never find yourself out of work, it'd be worse for you because you obviously know first hand how short sighted and high handed some employers can be.

That's almost amusing as I spent most of the 1980s out of work and things were much harder then. In the late 90s I applied for a post at Liverpool University (where I'd done postgrad work) and didn't get a reply (as per usual). At this point I destroyed all of my CVs and made it personal policy that I don't send off anything until someone speaks to me and invites me for a chat.

Google Ads
Old Hand
OP Offline
Old Hand
Sparky, I share great empathy with you here. I don't need to mention again how many employers haven't even bothered to reply to my CVs. Quite disgusting, and very, very depressing.

I wish you well in your job search.

Smartchild
Smartchild
You are wasting your time sending out unsolicited CVs. Do you have any comprehension of how many are in the post at any given hour ?
We occasionally get them at our office and they go straight into the shredder.

I have never met *anyone* who ever got a job this way. You're far better off going to an agency. They are pimps of course and take a cut of your wages but it's in their interest to find work for you.

Good luck to you. It sounds like you're trying hard.

Jobneeded67 didn't actually say that he'd sent these 'unsolicited'. I've sent out over 100 in answer to job adverts and have only had around 10 responses, so I understand why he's feeling so down hearted.

You don't give much hope to people looking for work by saying that anybody who's taken the initiative to send an unsolicited CV is wasting their time as they go unread, straight to the shredder.

I sincerely hope that you never find yourself out of work, it'd be worse for you because you obviously know first hand how short sighted and high handed some employers can be.

That's almost amusing as I spent most of the 1980s out of work and things were much harder then. In the late 90s I applied for a post at Liverpool University (where I'd done postgrad work) and didn't get a reply (as per usual). At this point I destroyed all of my CVs and made it personal policy that I don't send off anything until someone speaks to me and invites me for a chat.

What's 'almost amusing' is that you have a job now, yet you say things were much harder in the 80's. I disagree, I think they're much tougher now.

If you don't send off your CV in response to a job advert why on earth would someone 'speak to you and invite you for a chat'? If you were looking for a job now you wouldn't have a cat in hells chance.

Old Hand
Old Hand
I work from home and do not employ staff but receive cv,s weekly. I used to reply to all of them but then I started to think it was just as depressing to receive constant rejections as it is not to hear. lt helps if you provide an email or mobile number.
Good luck as a point interest would you like comments on your cv sometimes a cv is full of errors and I have considered pointing them out but don't want to cause offence

Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Really annoys me when people complain about not getting a response from companies when they've sent in a CV. Clearly you don't realise the sheer cost to the company that you expect them to spend for someone they aren't even going to employ. Let's break it down. Say a typical job gets 100 applicants and only 5 are wanted for an interview.

That's 95 rejection letters. That would easily take 3 hours to put each persons information in. Cost of minimum wage employee to do this - £18

Then you've got the envelopes and paper which, although wont cost much will mount up if they have to do it every time. - £5

Then you've got the stamps, so if they were to get 100 stamps as 5 would be for those people they wish to invite for an interview even second class stamps would now cost £50.

Funnily enough a lot of businesses don't have the time and/or the money to spend doing this. Just get on with it. If you're truly struggling to get even an interview then maybe you need to look at your CV or techniques rather than moaning that no-one ever gets back to you.

Guardian
Guardian

I know of one large company in Liverpool that does recruit people from unsolicited CVs. They don't usually advertise in places like the Echo as they would be bombarded with CVs. They usually promote people in-house and the vacancies left behind are often filled by people whose speculative CVs the HR department liked the look of.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Originally Posted by turnip
Really annoys me when people complain about not getting a response from companies when they've sent in a CV. Clearly you don't realise the sheer cost to the company that you expect them to spend for someone they aren't even going to employ. Let's break it down. Say a typical job gets 100 applicants and only 5 are wanted for an interview.

That's 95 rejection letters. That would easily take 3 hours to put each persons information in. Cost of minimum wage employee to do this - £18

Then you've got the envelopes and paper which, although wont cost much will mount up if they have to do it every time. - £5

Then you've got the stamps, so if they were to get 100 stamps as 5 would be for those people they wish to invite for an interview even second class stamps would now cost £50.

Funnily enough a lot of businesses don't have the time and/or the money to spend doing this. Just get on with it. If you're truly struggling to get even an interview then maybe you need to look at your CV or techniques rather than moaning that no-one ever gets back to you.

amen to this

Smartchild
Smartchild
Originally Posted by jawide

amen to this

I take it you're both working?

1 round robin email. 1 minute to key in each address. 95 minutes. Min wage £6. Cost £9. Not a lot to ask.

Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Originally Posted by jawide

amen to this

I take it you're both working?

1 round robin email. 1 minute to key in each address. 95 minutes. Min wage £6. Cost £9. Not a lot to ask.

And that's the attitude that businesses really want. Oh it's only a few pound. The reason I have a job is because I am of use to the company I work for. I don't ask them to waste money. I meet and exceed the bonuses that they set, as if I didn't I would be costing them money.

Plain and simple. Stop wasting your energy expecting things.

Smartchild
Smartchild
You're quite right turnip. I'm bang out of order expecting manners and courtesy. Stupid me.

Forum Guide
Forum Guide
okay, i shall send you 100 letters with a different email address on each one. Please reply to each within 2 days.
KThanks

Smartchild
Smartchild
Not a problem. Please deposit the £9 in my paypal account!

I hope you're not on Wiki during works time raftl

Forum Guide
Forum Guide
So what you're saying is that the people sending in the CV's should pay to get a reply?

That's fair enough.

As for being on here on works time I sure am not, otherwise I wouldn't be able to work to my full potential/make the company money/make any bonus.

Smartchild
Smartchild
That's a relief turnip. Sounds like the company would implode without you.

Last edited by Zubee; 4th Oct 2012 1:33pm.
Old Hand
Old Hand
Zubee you've clearly got me all wrong. I was trying to show empathy with Jobneeded67 in my initial post as I've been there myself many a time. The point I'm trying to make is that the unemployed have had it drilled into them that CVs are answer to all their woes. They are clearly not. Personally, I don't think that job hunting is worth the stress. The Protestant work ethic is as blatant a con as religion imo.

As for things today being harder than the 1980s; the rate of UK unemployment was 12% in 1984 compared with 8.1% in July 2012.

Once again I shall say good luck to Jobneeded67.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
recommendation, please
Car paint jobs
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
For Sale & Free
Member Spotlight
KevinFinity
KevinFinity
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
recommendation, please
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
Wirral waters
by casper - 2nd Apr 2024 11:32am
News : New Topics
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 4th Jan 2023 12:56am
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
Car paint jobs
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,458 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,704 Spotted!