WikiWirral its great, register, enjoy and welcome.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,280
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
12 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 7,886 guests, and 533 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 21st Mar 2024 9:27am
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#677923 21st Mar 2012 9:11am
Beginner
OP Offline
Beginner
I got quite a lot of negative opinions to my original post the other day because of the type of dogs I own. I hope that by posting this you will at least read it and think before you next offer a negative opinion about bull breeds. Not all bull breeds are owned by people for the "image" or "reputation" they create (which has been given to them by humans and because of humans).

Shelters are overun with bull breeds who are not being rehomed because of their negative press in the media which then affects their rehomeability. In dog pounds they are being put down if local rescue shelters cannot take them. This doesnt however stop people from breeding them to make money without any consideration for the number of dogs already looking for homes where the puppies, when the novelty wears off, end up being dumped and/or destroyed.

Secondly dog aggression is not a breed-specific behaviour, any dog nomatter what its breed can can take a disliking towards other dogs - do you like every person you come into contact with? - or even turn in a second on us. Any dog has that ability. There are also different types of aggression and much of it can be avoided or dealt with by being a responsible dog owner.

Yes bull breeds are energetic, agile, and strong but they are also loyal, gentle and loving and make wonderful family pets. It is the way we as humans treat our animals which causes the problems.

I did not adopt my bullbreeds, which are all rescue, because I wanted to look hard walking down the street or because I work in the security industry. I got them because I like big dogs, did my research on them and liked what I read. Albeit my females are now unable to live together, separately they are loving and loyal and big softies.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but just please let it be based on an informed opinion and think about what I've said above.

If anyone is interested I've attached a link to an article on the Manchester/Salford RSPCA website about this.

http://rspcamcrsalford.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/bull-breeds-are-dangerous-fact_25.html

Google Ads
Addict
Addict
i totally agree. dogs are what you make them not what reputation they have. any dog can be aggressive its how you teach and bring them up. i had a american bull terrier also known for there aggressive side and he was a loving harmful dog till the end never hurt no one. i do agree when people see the harm they have done on the news or in papers we do give are own opinion and people are intitled to that but thats one dog not the whole breed. dogs will also attack when they feel there owner is in harms way thats called loyalty. a dog is the only animal who will love you more than they love them selfs. many people wont agree with this but that is my opinion.

Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
Herbie,
If your going to post on a forum about this subject, negative comments are par for the course I'm afraid, its always an emotive subject, Bull breeds do get a bad press and you are right in saying that not all people who own them are dipsticks, for the want of a better word. You also have to accept that dogs that attack, bite and kill can also be owned by what would be seen as a good dog owner. It seems to me when a dog attacks and bites the doggy world people automatically blame it on bad ownership of the animal, they can't seem to consider any other cause.

You point out aggression is not breed specific, probably correct, but what is breed specific is the damage some breeds can do better than others and that's where the problem arises.

Going back to your post yesterday, you have 2 dogs and you want to do the best for them, they way I read the situation and forgive me if I'm wrong is you think the American has more chance to be re-homed because its the placid one and you don't want to pass on possible trouble to anyone. I reiterate what I said yesterday, try and re-home the aggressor, it might be easier, who would want to take on an 8 year old dog with possible age related vet bills looming.
Still wish you luck.

God help us,
Come yourself,
Don't send Jesus,
This is no place for children.

Bertieone.
Forum Master
Forum Master
I agree with Herbie & Julianne,I rescued an Akita from the council kennels in September,she had been there 6 months because the staff wanted her to go to someone who had experience of the breed she was going to be put to sleep but I heard about her & went to see her 4 days later she was home with us.She settled quickly considering she had been locked up for so long.If she had been male she would have been put to sleep straight away,I met someone who handed his male Akita in & ive also been told this by J.A.W because the Akita has the reputation of being a dominant fighting breed,they will be dominant if theyre not shown pack leadership & they were bred for hunting not fighting.as said before its irresponsible owners & backyard breeders.

no1s gonna keep me from u
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Methinks the lad protests too much. Herbie mate, you put the post on telling everyone about the dogs not getting on, thereby inviting comment. The fact you don't agree with the comment is neither here nor there. The times you read about these pooches is when they go bandit, it's not that anyone goes out of their way to write about dogs being a pain. Best of luck mate and hope this thing doesn't come back to bite you in the arris.
By the way I speak as a past owner of Staffy, Doberman, Jack Russell, Spaniel, Mongrel (which was a cracker of a dog)and a Cairn Terrier. All good dogs with my kids.

Birkenhead........ God's own Room 101.
Beginner
OP Offline
Beginner
Thanks Bandycoot, am pretty new to forums and thought putting them on a forum for rehoming and being honest about why would bring responses from people who might be interested in taking on one of them. How naive hey!

Only message wanted to get across this morning is that not all bull breeds are owned by, to use Bertie1's words "dipsticks" and they have undeservedly been badly labelled.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Herbie, we all get up each others noses on here now and again, in the main it's ok, you'll soon suss out the tossers. I might be one myself for all I know.

shocked

Last edited by BandyCoot; 21st Mar 2012 4:23pm.

Birkenhead........ God's own Room 101.
Newbeee
Newbeee
The BBC ,what a joke ....do not fund the left wing government propoganda machine ,do not watch the BBC.do not pay the licence fee do not open the front door to the tv goons.no contact no conviction .God i hate the BBC ...........

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Originally Posted by SirTankWelder
The BBC ,what a joke ....do not fund the left wing government propoganda machine ,do not watch the BBC.do not pay the licence fee do not open the front door to the tv goons.no contact no conviction .God i hate the BBC ...........

Think you posted in the wrong thread mate.

I totally agree with the comments about stereotyping dogs. Our GSD is a rescue dog and came from a terrible place. We still get people shying away or reacting negatively because he's a GSD. We just make sure we keep him close and don't give anyone the chance to "react". We used to get the same thing 20 years ago with our Doberman. He was a gentle giant, but my God the reactions some people used to have!

See you in cyberspace!
Smartchild
Smartchild
Originally Posted by herbie1974
Shelters are overun with bull breeds who are not being rehomed because of their negative press in the media

I think you meant "Shelters are overrun with bull breeds because the chavs that buy them to look dead 'ard dump them when they get bored with them or realise they actually cost money to look after properly".

Last edited by MikeT; 22nd Mar 2012 6:43am.
Smartchild
Smartchild
And talking of negative press.. 5 police officers mauled by dog CLICKY

"Five police officers have been taken to hospital after being mauled by a dog during a raid in London. They were attacked by a "pit bull-type" animal as they attempted to arrest a man in east London, Scotland Yard said."

Last edited by MikeT; 22nd Mar 2012 4:30pm.

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am